‘20 SC PF P.J. Hall

If he fails to make the tourney this year he easily could be fired imo. His style of play is the most surprising to me. I thought he was going to play a fun to watch up tempo style and he just doesn’t. It’s like watching paint dry watching his games

True, it is an odd style for his team. If he doesn’t make the tourney something went wrong

He's not defending. He's speaking the truth. I guarantee Florida fans are happy with their basketball program.
You'd guarantee Florida fans are universally happy with a 20-16 overall, 9-9 SEC record, and not making the 2nd weekend of the tournament in year 4?

Interesting.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
You'd guarantee Florida fans are universally happy with a 20-16 overall, 9-9 SEC record, and not making the 2nd weekend of the tournament in year 4?

Interesting.

The ones I know personally are. Loooking at their future, what's not to like?

Yeah, White's style of play at UF has been the most surprising, I agree. Per KenPom, in his four years at LaTech, his team's tempo ranked 71st, 25th, 16th, and 44th.

At Florida, his tempo has been ranked 110th, 117th, 226th, and 344th. They had the slowest tempo of any team in the SEC this past season.

Reactions: butchna
Heavy favorite? Not sure I'd go that far.
Eh...I thought it was more 50/50 previously but seeing his mothers social media account changed my stance. Maybe I'm putting too much into it, but as we know mama usually wins out and she doesn’t try to hide her pro Florida bias the least bit.

Eh...I thought it was more 50/50 previously but seeing his mothers social media account changed my stance. Maybe I'm putting too much into it, but as we know mama usually wins out and she doesn’t try to hide her pro Florida bias the least bit.
I think her Florida bias is as much related to her daughter playing volleyball for Florida as anything.

I think her Florida bias is as much related to her daughter playing volleyball for Florida as anything.

Very likely, but at the same time that’s an existing bias that Tennessee doesn’t have. I guess I previously assumed that like in most cases the kid was at Florida but wasn’t a huge deal...she replying to Florida basketball fans and accounts, retweeting and liking Florida football and basketball things, conversing with Florida fans and Florida media members...just not something you see too often.

Again maybe I’m reading too much into it, but definitely not what I had previously thought.

The ones I know personally are. Loooking at their future, what's not to like?
Well, White did that with 8 ☆☆☆☆ players, and 1 ☆☆☆☆☆ player. I'd call those results underachieving relative to the talent he believed he had. Many within our own fanbase called going 31-6 with a Sweet 16 with a team full of ☆☆☆ players a disappointment. Maybe White figures it out along the way but I think there are plenty of questions for UF fans to have. They have a lot of talent, but talent has never been the issue.

Well, White did that with 8 ☆☆☆☆ players, and 1 ☆☆☆☆☆ player. I'd call those results underachieving relative to the talent he believed he had. Many within our own fanbase called going 31-6 with a Sweet 16 with a team full of ☆☆☆ players a disappointment. Maybe White figures it out along the way but I think there are plenty of questions for UF fans to have. They have a lot of talent, but talent has never been the issue.

But he recruits so well...lol

So why wouldn’t most Tennessee fans (yourself included) he happy about 20-16(9-9) in SEC play and simply a NCAAT appearance? I think that was his point.

I’d actually take that this year assuming we get a really good recruiting class for 2020

Reactions: The Dog
Maybe you mean it, but considering your quick claims about how Barnes “doesn’t win anything” I see you just adding that to your collection.

He’s won an SEC regular season title.

He’s not winning anything this year title wise. My minimum expectation is to make the NCAAT every year and since we lost so much I would take that this year.

Reactions: RyanWalkerPGH

He’s not winning anything this year title wise. My minimum expectation is to make the NCAAT every year and since we lost so much I would take that this year.
You're usually quick to point out he "shared" a regular season title.

With the first of two live evaluation periods in July beginning this week Tennessee’s staff has been on the road following top targets in each of the next two classes. One prospect who saw plenty of the Vols’ staff this week at the adidas Gauntlet Summer Finals in Birmingham was South Carolina big man P.J. Hall. Hall (6-foot-9, 220 pounds) from Roebuck, S.C. just outside of Spartanburg, emerged as a high priority target for Rick Barnes and his staff coming out of last summer. A versatile big who can bang in the post and also stretch the floor with his three-point shot, Hall sits high up on the Vols’ wish list in what has the potential to be a monumental signing class in 2020. Hall opened up the week on Thursday with his Upward Stars travel team and Tennessee left little doubt about how hard they’re pursuing him. Rick Barnes along with assistants Kim English and Mike Schwartz were all courtside to see Hall play twice on the opening day of the live period.
“I definitely notice when the head coach from a school is at one of my games and I noticed that pretty much the whole staff was here today. I’m past the point of where that would make me nervous or anything in a game, but I notice that they’re there,” Hall said of nearly the entire Tennessee staff turning out to watch him. Hall is familiar with the Vols for a couple of different reasons. For one, his father grew up in Kingsport. Secondly he and his family made two unofficial visits to Knoxville during this past season to take in a pair of basketball games, trips that made an impression on Hall and showed him just what kind of support Tennessee is enjoying these days after Barnes’ successful rebuild. “The atmosphere on game day really stood out to me. I really haven’t seen another environment like that with the fans. I haven’t been to a game where there were 22,000 people in the arena like that and it was just rocking. It was crazy,” Hall said. Paying close attention to Tennessee’s season and familiarizing himself with the program has also left Hall with a clear image of just how effective Barnes and his staff have been in the area of player development.
Last month’s NBA draft was a stunning testament to just how good the staff has been at helping players reach their full potential. Grant Williams went in the first round and Admiral Schofield and Jordan Bone were both taken in round two. Three players who were hardly household names as under-the-radar recruits when they picked the Vols. “I’ve definitely noticed the player development. When they were recruiting those guys Coach Barnes was just starting out, Tennessee wasn’t that good and they just turned it around with Grant Williams, Admiral Schofield and (Jordan) Bone,” Hall said. “Everyone just got better and better the whole time they were there to the point that they were one of the best teams in the country this year. That says a lot about how they develop guys.” Hall took advantage of the new rule allowing prospects to take official visits as high school juniors, making two trips in the spring to Florida and Clemson. Some fans interpreted the fact that Tennessee didn’t receive one of those visits as a negative reflection on where the Vols’ stand with him. Hall stated that no one should read anything into that, adding that it was simply confusion over the new rule that left Tennessee off his travel plans.
“No, that is no reflection on Tennessee at all. I was actually trying to schedule an official visit there later that week after the Florida and Clemson trips,” he said. “I actually had one scheduled but literally no one knew what the rule was, as far as the cutoff date for when you can take official visits as a junior. I thought it was Aug. 1 but it turns out that wasn’t the case and we had to get an answer from the NCAA. But no, I was planning on taking one to Tennessee as well and there was just confusion over the new rule. “I haven’t set up any official visits for the fall yet. I’ll be doing that soon but Tennessee will definitely be one of my visits.”
In state programs Clemson and South Carolina are in hot pursuit of Hall along with Florida, where his sister plays volleyball. Tennessee has long been in the picture and he also recently received offers from Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech and Texas A&M.
He’ll have no shortage of options when it comes time to make a decision, but it’s a decision he says will be based on more than just basketball. “Distance from home really isn’t going to be a factor for me. I’m just looking for a place where I can see myself going to school, not just playing basketball,” he said. “Someone told me once and I really think about this, to look for a school where if you got hurt or something happened that you’d just like to go to school there. I want to find a place that I love the whole environment, not just the basketball part of it.”Rivals rates Hall as a four-star prospect and the No. 66 overall player in the nation.
-Lewis

He seems to spend a lot of time discussing Tennessee and Barnes & Co's ability to develop talent. That would seem to favor Tennessee over Florida, especially with regard to post development.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer

Keep in mind UF has been decimated by injuries the last 2+ years, especially with the bigs; I was shocked he even got that walking MASH unit into the tourney at all... sadly, much of our fan base doesn't follow the game closely enough to recognize critical deficiencies and shortcomings.

Keep in mind UF has been decimated by injuries the last 2+ years, especially with the bigs; I was shocked he even got that walking MASH unit into the tourney at all... sadly, much of our fan base doesn't follow the game closely enough to recognize critical deficiencies and shortcomings.
The 6 leading scorers last season didn't miss a single game, though. Hard to believe that any other injuries were enough to account for finishing 20-16.

TN has missed making the NCAAT 21x in the last 40 years. I won't be greedy and take 3 out of every 4 years and an NIT once every 8 years.

He comes from a very tight-knit family. Him going to Florida is the worst kept secret around here, unfortunately.

VN Store

Back