‘20 SC PF P.J. Hall

only have 2 seniors. Will have to cut one to get Springer in. Do we really cut 2 to take Hall as well?

only have 2 seniors. Will have to cut one to get Springer in. Do we really cut 2 to take Hall as well?

You're forgetting about DJ Burns transferring and we did not bring in anyone else. I'm pretty sure we have an extra scholarship right now.

There are 3 spots, 2 seniors plus an open scholarship. There are only 12 this year. And Johnson and Fulkerson are grad transfer candidates if either doesn't play a big role in their RS junior seasons.

There's also a possibility that Kent would go on a medical scholarship if his nagging injuries persist. There's also a chance that JJJ is a one-and-done, so over signing by one is sound.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
1. Ques Glover - Freshman

2. Tre Mann - Freshman

3. Andrew Nembhard - Sophomore

4. Alex Klatsky - Freshman

5. Anthony Duruji - Junior - xfer sitting

6. Omar Payne - Freshman

7. Noah Locke - Sophomore

8. Keyontae Johnson - Sophomore

9. Gorjok Gak - Junior

10. Dontay Bassett - Junior

11. Tyree Appleby - Junior - xfer sitting

12. Scottie Lewis - Freshman

13. Kerry Blackshear Jr. - Graduate Student

14. Jason Jitoboh - Freshman

So, let's see; 14 on the roster with 2 sitting out, so 12 active. After this season, we'll lose Blackshear, probably Gak, Nembhard, and probably Lewis.

That would put 10 on the roster, with 3 more committed (Lane, Ruzhentsev, and Osifo); so barring any additional factors I might not be aware of, that would still only put UF oversigning by 1 if they really want a PF.

Again, I'm not claiming anything about Hall; but the numbers are workable.

You're forgetting about DJ Burns transferring and we did not bring in anyone else. I'm pretty sure we have an extra scholarship right now.

We do currently have an extra scholarship. Walker Jr, Johnson, and Springer (if he commits) will make a full class on paper. Rob Lewis said on today's podcast that Tennessee wants to oversign by 1. That will take into account either Josiah leaving early for the NBA next season or someone transferring off the current roster. There's always been some sort of attrition every year Coach Barnes has been here.

1. Ques Glover - Freshman

2. Tre Mann - Freshman

3. Andrew Nembhard - Sophomore

4. Alex Klatsky - Freshman

5. Anthony Duruji - Junior - xfer sitting

6. Omar Payne - Freshman

7. Noah Locke - Sophomore

8. Keyontae Johnson - Sophomore

9. Gorjok Gak - Junior

10. Dontay Bassett - Junior

11. Tyree Appleby - Junior - xfer sitting

12. Scottie Lewis - Freshman

13. Kerry Blackshear Jr. - Graduate Student

14. Jason Jitoboh - Freshman

So, let's see; 14 on the roster with 2 sitting out, so 12 active. After this season, we'll lose Blackshear, probably Gak, Nembhard, and probably Lewis.

That would put 10 on the roster, with 3 more committed (Lane, Ruzhentsev, and Osifo); so barring any additional factors I might not be aware of, that would still only put UF oversigning by 1 if they really want a PF.

Again, I'm not claiming anything about Hall; but the numbers are workable.
Klatsky is a walk-on, that’s your current 13...Blackshear is the only guy slated to be gone, so that puts you at 12...you have 3 committed players so that means you’re oversigning by 2 already without adding Hall.

Also, Klatsky accepted a preferred walk-on position, which typically means they expect to be put on scholarship...so if you add that in it becomes even more dicey. You can’t “assume” a bunch of guys leaving in the fall, maybe 1 spot but it’s not very common to oversign by 2-3 in the fall.

Reactions: butchna
We do currently have an extra scholarship. Walker Jr, Johnson, and Springer (if he commits) will make a full class on paper. Rob Lewis said on today's podcast that Tennessee wants to oversign by 1. That will take into account either Josiah leaving early for the NBA next season or someone transferring off the current roster. There's always been some sort of attrition every year Coach Barnes has been here.

Oh I know that. I was replying to the guy that said we need to lose 2 on this roster to sign both Springer and Hall. That's untrue. With Springer we're full. With Springer and Hall then we need to lose just 1 person. And that is a virtual guarantee in this environment that someone will be leaving in the summer of 2020.

Reactions: TN_gal
Klatsky is a walk-on, that’s your current 13...Blackshear is the only guy slated to be gone, so that puts you at 12...you have 3 committed players so that means you’re oversigning by 2 already without adding Hall.
Then that's an additional scholly available. Gak likely won't finish another season, including this one; Nembhard is a sure-thing draft pick; and Lewis is likely a 1&D, like Bradley Beal. So, we'd have room for a PF if Lewis goes pro, and would have to oversign by 1 if not.

Also, Klatsky accepted a preferred walk-on position, which typically means they expect to be put on scholarship...so if you add that in it becomes even more dicey. You can’t “assume” a bunch of guys leaving in the fall, maybe 1 spot but it’s not very common to oversign by 2-3 in the fall.

This is why I wondered about them signing Glover and Jitoboh. They are guys who need to develop, which is fine. But, he won't have as much wiggle room room with the numbers by signing both of them.

Then that's an additional scholly available. Gak likely won't finish another season, including this one; Nembhard is a sure-thing draft pick; and Lewis is likely a 1&D, like Bradley Beal. So, we'd have room for a PF if Lewis goes pro, and would have to oversign by 1 if not.

You're operating under a lot of "What-Ifs" in order to get to the perfect outcome to sign Hall. There are very few 1&D guarantees out there. Not to mention Gak leaving isn't a certainty either. I don't think Mike White, even with as little I think of him, is going to oversign by 3 based on the off chance 3-4 players bolt in the offseason. He can't operate like that.

Oh I know that. I was replying to the guy that said we need to lose 2 on this roster to sign both Springer and Hall. That's untrue. With Springer we're full. With Springer and Hall then we need to lose just 1 person. And that is a virtual guarantee in this environment that someone will be leaving in the summer of 2020.

Gotcha. 👍🏽 My bad. I should've seen who you were replying to! Sorry about that. And yes, I completely agree.

VT thinks they have PJ

Coach Young does go way back with the Hall family, so it's not surprising they think so.

If Lewis was to get hurt he’s going nowhere, Nembhard came back this year, maybe he does the same...you booting Gak off the team? Again, it’s not common for teams to oversign by that many in the fall, maybe UF will, but from what I’ve read on Florida sites they think they’re out for Hall.

Let's not be unrealistic, even without Springer OR Hall, this class is already outstanding and one of the best if not THE best in TN history just with Keon and Corey. We need to give credit where credit is due on the off chance we miss on both Springer and Hall. It would still be an historic class with just our current two signees. However, with that being said, if you land Springer (probably a lock) and Hall (likely) then this class, by our normal recruiting standards, does not have a word to describe it. That is how good it will be.
I agree. The only problem I see is can we follow up with the same stellar class in 2021 to replace these guys when the go to play in the NBA after one year?

Didn't Rob Lewis say either UT or Clemson? Not sure anyone knows.
Correct. I think it’s those 3, seems Florida is out and Georgia Tech isn’t happening...Clemson, Tennessee and Virginia Tech all have something to sell. He visited Clemson first, typically you don’t see a guy take 4-5 visits and then go to the school he visited first 2-3 months back, but it could happen. I think all 3 are alive, but I do think UT/VT seems more likely.

Reactions: TN_gal
You're operating under a lot of "What-Ifs" in order to get to the perfect outcome to sign Hall. There are very few 1&D guarantees out there. Not to mention Gak leaving isn't a certainty either. I don't think Mike White, even with as little I think of him, is going to oversign by 3 based on the off chance 3-4 players bolt in the offseason. He can't operate like that.
Gak's injuries are chronic, no if's about that; just suffered another setback... if he contributes at all this year, it'll be both a bonus and a miracle. Nembhard is gone, almost left last year. The only uncertainty is Lewis; if he goes we can take 4, if not we'd have to oversign by 1.

All teams are counting on certain things going ideally to make their numbers work... and all teams will have some unforeseen attrition too.

My only point all along has been that if UF is indeed out of the running, it won't be because we don't have or can't make room.

Gak's injuries are chronic, no if's about that; just suffered another setback... if he contributes at all this year, it'll be both a bonus and a miracle. Nembhard is gone, almost left last year. The only uncertainty is Lewis; if he goes we can take 4, if not we'd have to oversign by 1.

All teams are counting on certain things going ideally to make their numbers work... and all teams will have some unforeseen attrition too.

My only point all along has been that if UF is indeed out of the running, it won't be because we don't have or can't make room.

That would be very uncommon to oversign by that many in the fall...taking Hall means you’re over by 4 if Klatsky gets moved to scholarship, 3 if he doesn’t. That’s a lot of movement with none being guaranteed.

VN Store

Back