‘18 CA OL Grad Transfer Dwayne Wallace

Say it again

It absolutely was due to poor coaching. Mahoney couldnt believe what fell into his lap in year 1. Even though Dooley was too stupid to recruit O Linemen every year, the O line was the least of our issues. And to replace Mahoney with Walt Wells....from Cumberland....Geezus, that's malpractice Butch! Phil Fulmer can piece together an O line on a cocktail napkin. McKenzie might find his true calling during the process. This part will be easy to fix, but it might take a year.

Coleman Thomas regressed every year after he got here. Pitiful! I know why Kevin Mays did what he did.

Reactions: 7 people
It absolutely was due to poor coaching. Mahoney couldnt believe what fell into his lap in year 1. Even though Dooley was too stupid to recruit O Linemen every year, the O line was the least of our issues. And to replace Mahoney with Walt Wells....from Cumberland....Geezus, that's malpractice Butch! Phil Fulmer can piece together an O line on a cocktail napkin. McKenzie might find his true calling during the process. This part will be easy to fix, but it might take a year.

The Walt Wells hire was mind blowing and a sign Butch was clueless.

Reactions: 3 people
Agree on Richmond.

On guys like Tatum too for the most part. I still like Tatum's upside and don't mind taking a kid with the frame and athleticism for OT, but not enough weight/muscle occasionally. But we were loading up on them under Butch.

Guys like Tatum should only be a take if you're confident you've got the depth to let him sit and grow for about 3 years.

Agree about Tatum. Same goes for Niehaus.

Perusing his recent Twitter feed is very encouraging. Lots of Tennessee there.

Jones is to blame for the fineness zone blocking of the offensive line and the passive play on the defensive line as well. I want to see maulers on the o-line and an aggressive attacking d-line. I know I'm spouting off but it's time for a change. Win the line of scrimmage win the game. :angry:

GBO

Reactions: 1 person
This coming year will be a little rough but I think we will have much joy in watching our O-line improve. The old scheme was so bad that we have no idea what we have to work with. The kids haven't been conditioned properly nor taught a system that they could thrive in.

Just thinking on the "project" OL recruits under Butch, it's laughable thinking they would be developed in our former system. Butch and staff couldn't even coach up the highly talented players. The tweeners had no chance.

Guys, please stop blaming the poor OL play on zone blocking. Less than half our plays were zone and every team in the country runs some zone including Bama.

Reactions: 6 people
Guys, please stop blaming the poor OL play on zone blocking. Less than half our plays were zone and every team in the country runs some zone including Bama.

Come on, quit bringing facts into the VN whine and complain session.

For those of you wondering if JJ will get a second chance, here's your likely answer.

Imo this means nothing regarding JJ for two reasons. We don't know if this would be the second, third, fourth or even more chances for JJ and the other reason is it's often times easier for part of a persons punishment to include a change of scenery before given a second chance.

I feel Every single circumstance out there deserves a second chance but often times that needs to be other places.

Reactions: 2 people
We have some guys along both lines of scrimmage who are straight up stealing a scholarship. Going to be a lot of turnover along both lines of scrimmage. Looks like they’re starting with the weakest link.

CJP emphasized the LOS in his 1st presser so he and the staff definitely has their work cut out for them on both sides. These players still have some potential but like you, I think they appear to be seeing how much true conditioning work they can get out of. This doesn't apply to all the players but you can tell some of them aren't developing up to their potential,IMO.

Imo this means nothing regarding JJ for two reasons. We don't know if this would be the second, third, fourth or even more chances for JJ and the other reason is it's often times easier for part of a persons punishment to include a change of scenery before given a second chance.

I feel Every single circumstance out there deserves a second chance but often times that needs to be other places.

New Coach, New AD--New Slate. I'm betting he gets a 2nd chance with a possible short rope. But he didn't do anything to deserve being kicked off the team. Atleast nothing we have heard about. It's all about new beginnings for everyone and I'm sure it will be the same for JJ.

New Coach, New AD--New Slate. I'm betting he gets a 2nd chance with a possible short rope. But he didn't do anything to deserve being kicked off the team. Atleast nothing we have heard about. It's all about new beginnings for everyone and I'm sure it will be the same for JJ.

All depends on who commits at the wr position imo

This tells you that. what about our 4-8 season?

A record isn't always telling the entire story. AU had a 3-9 to 12-2 year all because of a coaching change. They were much worse that 3-9 year than we were this year. Coaching changes can make a small difference or a gigantic one. We are going from a MAC type coaching staff and HC to an SEC upper lever type staff..It's amazing that's all it takes sometimes. Not saying we go 12-1 and lose in the National Championship game but the pieces are here to get 8-9 wins. Depends on how many players buy in to The Coach's and what help JP can get from transfers and the '18 class. 8-4 or 9-3 would not surprise me one bit. We will be a much tougher and better coached team. And players actually wanting to play and bust their a$$ for a coach will make a huge difference.

Agreed that a new slate is important but I think there is a longer list than you suggest (see Hyams article). Even if all those things are true a clean slate start isn't out of the question.

this wasn't the first time JJ got in trouble. he may have punched his "second chance card" two too many times.

VN Store

Back