Official Jon Gruden Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
It cannot be in his contract so a handshake maybe. Where my mind finds the problem is Haslam and Gruden being sure that after a 7-10 year career will Haslam still own the Browns? Will Gruden leave at that point to coach an NFL team, couldn't have it then?

I think the Browns rumor is just that. Definitely nothing more than a possible conversation.

No, it cant and wont be in a contract, from my understanding. A verbal agreement which isnt binding at all, but I believe that it has been talked about. JMO

In that interview, Gruden said he planned on being at MNF a long time. However, he is on record saying he is eager to coach again (last spring interview on 990 is one example). That nugget right there causes me to doubt his denial.

I wonder if the report from Memphis was an attempt to sabotage any kind of deal that might be going on? Memphis doesn't particularly care for UT. If they put something out there while everyone else involved is trying to keep a lid on it, they may have thought it could run Gruden off because of this info getting out before he was ready for it to be public. Just an idea.

keepcalmandcantwaittill.png

Reactions: 1 person
I was in a Starbucks yesterday in Nashville. I handed the lady a ut mug to put my coffee in. The guy behind me out of nowhere says "Did you hear we are hiring Gruden?".

It was the third time that has happened this week.

Believe what you want, but A LOT of people believe and want Gruden to be our coach.

I am in the media. Our biggest subscription base is the SE region, and we specifically cater to college athletics.

I get contacted by fans from all over the country asking about the Gruden to UT rumors. In Tennessee, it's all I'm asked about.

I understand...I do. The 15 minute mood swings are what are fun to watch. Groupthink rules here. One negative, or positive, comment can swing the mood of the entire board. I didnt realize it until I stepped back to just watch.

On the other hand, the timeline has played out exactly as several have suggested since mid-October.

It's all good. Gruden 2012.

Rules everywhere unfortunately.

Again, do you think any of those people are going to be enraged and calling for Hart to get fired if we hire someone else?

VN is a special place with some real special people. If we hire someone else that's great (say, Gary Patterson) and people are upset then it's their own damn fault, not Hart's.

I won't have a problem with a Gary Patterson type hire. He is solid and proven. I will have a problem with Golden or Smart.

It cannot be in his contract so a handshake maybe. Where my mind finds the problem is Haslam and Gruden being sure that after a 7-10 year career will Haslam still own the Browns? Will Gruden leave at that point to coach an NFL team, couldn't have it then?

I think the Browns rumor is just that. Definitely nothing more than a possible conversation.

Unless the plan is for him to come in and give UT 4-5 years to put the Vols back to where they need to be then move on to coach the Browns or maybe even GM????

The additionally odd thing is that Mike Greenberg didn't push at all.

Greenie is a fairly legit journalist. He's a Northwestern grad and has worked in the Chicago market as a reporter. I have heard him ask far more difficult questions.

The OBVIOUS question that any journalist would have followed with is "are you in discussions of any form with the University of Tennessee to become the next head coach?" I listen to that show just about everyday and Greenberg has pressed others in the past. There was an open door on national radio for all of the rumors to be squashed, and no attempt was taken. That is odd, IMO.

Greeny is a freaking joke, I'm sorry. The biggest evidence of that is how he covered the Tiger Woods story, which was basically to try and not about it so Woods would come back on M&M when the dust settled for an interview where he said nothing at all (like always).

He didn't follow-up with Gruden at all, a guy who has family ties to TN, let Greenburg asked nothing else. He's a guy that ESPN can control completely, which is why he is in his position.

In that interview, Gruden said he planned on being at MNF a long time. However, he is on record saying he is eager to coach again (last spring interview on 990 is one example). That nugget right there causes me to doubt his denial.

Also, he stated at the 30 second mark of this video that he might be back in coaching a year from then. This was a little over a year ago. FWIW

Jon Gruden: Mic'd Up - DaytonFlyers.com - YouTube

I wonder if the report from Memphis was an attempt to sabotage any kind of deal that might be going on? Memphis doesn't particularly care for UT. If they put something out there while everyone else involved is trying to keep a lid on it, they may have thought it could run Gruden off because of this info getting out before he was ready for it to be public. Just an idea.

I think that is reaching

Given that it came from WREG - AKA Chicken Little - I think that Glenn had a source that he believed, not just a message baord. now I didn't see the actual report but they typically are the last to jump on any story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back