UT fan falling from upper deck? (Merged)

It was a 20 year old. He wasn't drunk

I hope you're right but two things. No autopsy has yet been done so we don't know if alcohol was involved. I saw a brief comment by a police officer who said alcohol was involved. I shrugged at the time but later when I tried to relocate that article, I couldn't find it after 20 minutes of GOOGLING. Despite what I saw, it doesn't mean the cop was right. Cops make ill-informed assumptions like the rest of us.

I hope you're right but two things. No autopsy has yet been done so we don't know if alcohol was involved. I saw a brief comment by a police officer who said alcohol was involved. I shrugged at the time but later when I tried to relocate that article, I couldn't find it after 20 minutes of GOOGLING. Despite what I saw, it doesn't mean the cop was right. Cops make ill-informed assumptions like the rest of us.

To put it bluntly--who cares? If he was/was not drinking, who cares?

Reactions: 2 people
To put it bluntly--who cares? If he was/was not drinking, who cares?

I don't know who cares given how callous people are these days. I was responding to someone else's post and not addressing you specifically. Actually, I'd care because I wouldn't want to be sitting in Neyland for example and get killed by a falling drunk who sneaked in some pints of Jack. And once again, at this time we don't know if alcohol was involved.

I know this is sad, but how do you accidentally fall off of a railed balcony, hope they have video cameras.

Accidents happen, that a truth. But given the disregard for safety exhibited by so many I like you would question how much was it an accident and how much was due to just plain stupidity. Nonetheless, it's a tragedy and I wouldn't even wish this on my worse enemy. you're at game rooting for your favorite team and die there? That's horrible no matter how it happened.

Reactions: 1 person
So sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am tearing up thinking about it. I have a 20 and an 18 year old and the thought of this, just crushes me. As someone mentioned before, grab your loved ones and hug them tight. You just never know.............God Bless!

Just got home from ATL, we had to drive straight back after the game. Wife and I talked about this most of the way home. Just really sad and a horrible way to go. Whole stadium cheering for a UT touchdown as he falls to his death.

Hope they have some type of moment of silence or something for him at next weeks game.

Not getting why ppl care whether or not he was drunk. If he was, does that mean he deserved it?

MADD has turned into a neo-prohibitionist group and those are words from their founder who lost a child because of drunk driven and left the group because she claims they are not there for safety or sense but for prohibition. Believe it or not there was a time when drunks just got locked up for 24 or driven home and it was only dangerous drunks who got serious charges. Nowadays ANY alcohol means ur the devil and should be punished harshly and shunned regardless of whether you cause an accident or were only slightly over. It's a shame because drunk and blitzed are 2 different thing and chronic alkies rack up the most kills but schmucks who miscalculate their BCA or think they are under the limit get busted whether they are a real danger or not.

MADDs influence, despite their very good early work, has led us to hating alcohol in a way that overboard.

People are people and they make mistakes whether it's negligence, carelessness, alcohol or drugs and the penalties have gotten too harsh for the average joe while not stopping the longterm alkie who just don't care.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
MADD has turned into a neo-prohibitionist group and those are words from their founder who lost a child because of drunk driven and left the group because she claims they are not there for safety or sense but for prohibition. Believe it or not there was a time when drunks just got locked up for 24 or driven home and it was only dangerous drunks who got serious charges. Nowadays ANY alcohol means ur the devil and should be punished harshly and shunned regardless of whether you cause an accident or were only slightly over. It's a shame because drunk and blitzed are 2 different thing and chronic alkies rack up the most kills but schmucks who miscalculate their BCA or think they are under the limit get busted whether they are a real danger or not.

MADDs influence, despite their very good early work, has led us to hating alcohol in a way that overboard.

People are people and they make mistakes whether it's negligence, carelessness, alcohol or drugs and the penalties have gotten too harsh for the average joe while not stopping the longterm alkie who just don't care.

Bull!!! Drinking and getting behind the wheel of a vehicle is not a mistake, it's a wanton disregard for public safety. Among the places I have lived, one was a state and a city in particular where you could drink 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. In the years I was there, nevermind what I saw in terms of collisions, pedestrians in crosswalks, kids in school zones, and even parked cars being hit. My cars were hit on freeways, rammed at stop lights, hit by drivers coming out of plaza parking lights into 35mph+ traffic, you name it. In all but two cases over those years, each driver was DUI or DWI. I say again, people who are determined to continue unsafe conduct will find or create an excuse for doing so. Doesn't matter if it is a Congressman or a 13 year old out of control kid, the truth is what it is. They aren't accidents, it's willful stupidity. If you drank at home and stayed there until sober fine. Too many people don't have sense too. If you went out to drink and refused to drive until sober or used a designated driver or taxi, fine. too many people don't have sense enough to do that either.

Now, back to the fan who fell at the Georgia Dome, may he rest in peace, may his family be comforted by friends, family members and the Lord. Doesn't matter if he fell due to being drunk or not.

Reactions: 4 people
Bull!!! Drinking and getting behind the wheel of a vehicle is not a mistake, it's a wanton disregard for public safety. Among the places I have lived, one was a state and a city in particular where you could drink 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. In the years I was there, nevermind what I saw in terms of collisions, pedestrians in crosswalks, kids in school zones, and even parked cars being hit. My cars were hit on freeways, rammed at stop lights, hit by drivers coming out of plaza parking lights into 35mph+ traffic, you name it. In all but two cases over those years, each driver was DUI or DWI. I say again, people who are determined to continue unsafe conduct will find or create an excuse for doing so. Doesn't matter if it is a Congressman or a 13 year old out of control kid, the truth is what it is. They aren't accidents, it's willful stupidity. If you drank at home and stayed there until sober fine. Too many people don't have sense too. If you went out to drink and refused to drive until sober or used a designated driver or taxi, fine. too many people don't have sense enough to do that either.

Now, back to the fan who fell at the Georgia Dome, may he rest in peace, may his family be comforted by friends, family members and the Lord. Doesn't matter if he fell due to being drunk or not.

I never said it was just a mistake but the way we treat alcohol use in this country is absurd.

The railing was really short people. Not sure if responders are quicker that he makes it. If the railing is above thigh high, he doesn't fall.

I agree whether he was drunk or not is insignificant. I do think however cpr may have saved his life, we will never know. I recall at UT once how slow it was for medical staff to arrive when an elderly man passed out, he could have had a heart attack. I do agree the railing should be more adequate. He could have suffered from vertigo. I also agree at least emts should be more stratigically place throughout all stadiums. God bless him and his family.

I agree whether he was drunk or not is insignificant. I do think however cpr may have saved his life, we will never know. I recall at UT once how slow it was for medical staff to arrive when an elderly man passed out, he could have had a heart attack. I do agree the railing should be more adequate. He could have suffered from vertigo. I also agree at least emts should be more stratigically place throughout all stadiums. God bless him and his family.

Please see my post on page 10.

CPR, in a traumatic event like this, more than likely would not have changed any part of the outcome.

VN Store

Back