Official Miami Marlins thread

And broke the scoreboard on that grand slam. That was one of the hardest balls I've ever seen hit.

Ricky Nolasco gets the win to become Marlins' all-time win leader.

Also, yesterday's grand slam by Stanton was clocked at 122.4 mph.

Giancarlo Stanton’s 438-foot, laser-beam grand slam Monday night drew plenty of attention across the country because it temporarily knocked out a portion of the left-field scoreboard at the Marlins’ new ballpark.

But the big blast was historic and memorable for many more reasons than just a busted scoreboard.

For starters, it was fast — maybe the fastest ever. The ball was clocked at 122.4 mph, the fastest home run ball hit since hittrackeronline.com started charting baseball’s biggest homers in 2006. By comparison, the next fastest home run hit this season — a 117.5 mph burner by two-time reigning home run champion Jose Bautista in Toronto — was 5 mph slower.

Second, the grand slam put Stanton, 22, in exclusive company. The only other players in major-league history to hit four grand slams before their 23rd birthdays are Ted Williams, Eddie Mathews and Ken Griffey Jr. Williams and Matthews are Hall of Famers. Griffey ranks fifth all-time with 680 home runs. Stanton turns 23 on Nov. 8.

“That’s good company,” Stanton said Tuesday when told of his achievement. “Maybe I’ll get five before I’m 23. Hopefully, I’ll keep it going. I had a chance to get another one [Monday night], but I failed.”

Through 291 games and 1,028 at-bats, Stanton has now homered 65 times in his career.

That’s an average of once every 15.81 at-bats. Historically, that ranks right behind Frank Thomas (521 homers) for 29th all-time — and eighth among active players.

Manager Ozzie Guillen, who predicted earlier this season Stanton would injure someone with a batted ball, believes the 6-5, 246-pound slugger is on his way to becoming the most powerful hitter in baseball. If he isn’t there already.

Read more here: Grand slam by Miami Marlins’ Giancarlo Stanton clocked at 122.4 mph | Sports | Bradenton Herald

So long the glorious month of May.

Marlins had a historic 21-8 record for the month.
Giancarlo Stanton finished with 12HR, 30RBI.
And now with the sweep of the Washington Nationals, Marlins are 0.5 back of NL East lead.

Amazing turn of events from the previous month.

One more cool story to go:

They’re not the first brothers from Colombia to reach the majors. But the Solanos — Donovan of the Marlins and Jhonatan of the Nationals — aren’t about to quibble.

Only nine days after Donovan was called up by the Marlins and became the 12th Colombian-born player to reach the majors, older brother Jhonatan received his big promotion from the Nationals to become No. 13.

Their story is being trumpeted in the Colombian media.

“It’s amazing,” said Donovan, a backup infielder and outfielder.

Tuesday night was a family affair for the Solanos at Marlins Park as the players’ parents — Luis Solano and Myriam Preciado — made hasty arrangements to be in Miami for the occasion after the Nationals called up Jhonatan, a catcher, after Monday’s game.

Mom wore a Marlins jersey while Dad was decked out in a Nationals shirt.

Colombian dream is family affair for Marlins’ Donovan Solano and Nationals’ Jhonatan Solano - Miami Marlins - MiamiHerald.com

Hanley Ramirez passes Uggla for franchise record of career games with multiple home runs.

He (Ramirez) has punished Cole Hamels today. Hopefully they can hold onto lead.

Carlos Zambrano gets his 24th career home run today, and the win. Ramirez also hit a homer, his third in last two days, as the Marlins are now tied atop the NL East.

Another series against Atlanta coming up on Tuesday.

Marlins at #9 select Andrew Heaney, LHP, Oklahoma State.

w300-9c6d58e1901e5b96f49029a841324e86.jpg

Carlos Zambrano gets his 24th career home run today, and the win. Ramirez also hit a homer, his third in last two days, as the Marlins are now tied atop the NL East.

Another series against Atlanta coming up on Tuesday.

Good luck the rest of the way Marlins. Very good team.

I'll be happy to avoid Atlanta for the next month. Ugly showing by Miami. The NL East race should be fun to watch toward the end.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Yeah. Everyone in the Division has a chance, plus atleast 1 wild card team from it. Glad to see the Phillies in an early hole. Hope they stay in it

Yeah. Everyone in the Division has a chance, plus atleast 1 wild card team from it. Glad to see the Phillies in an early hole. Hope they stay in it

THe Phillies are done. With Halladay out, and Howard/Utley still not coming back till the end of June, they are done.

Marlins record by Month

April: 8-14
May: 21-8
June: 2-6

At this rate, maybe I'll make some money betting on the Marlins in July.

Hopefully Miami gets a win over Tampa today to avoid a second straight series sweep.

Now 5-18 for the month.

The good news, the Marlins have announced that in order to compensate for the god awful play of June, they will go undefeated in the month of July. (just kidding)

Now we're even behind the Phillies.

VN Store

Back