Hiking Thread

Volunteer_Kirby

Its not what you think...
It's that time of the year. Anyone hit the trail in any cool areas recently? Any of you Tennesseans been on the Appalachian Trail yet this year?

For me, Ive done a lot of hiking near Austin (Texas) lately, specifically Barton Creek. Also just got back from a work trip in Seminole Canyon where our crew is in the process of buildign the canyon's first-ever rim trail. So if you live in Texas and ever make it down south by Del Rio take a detour out to Seminole and give it a glance. It's a pretty wild place.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
It's that time of the year. Anyone hit the trail in any cool areas recently? Any of you Tennesseans been on the Appalachian Trail yet this year?

For me, Ive done a lot of hiking near Austin (Texas) lately, specifically Barton Creek. Also just got back from a work trip in Seminole Canyon where our crew is in the process of buildign the canyon's first-ever rim trail. So if you live in Texas and ever make it down south by Del Rio take a detour out to Seminole and give it a glance. It's a pretty wild place.

i always like hiking 6th street, when I'm in Austin

Flying out to California today. Joining the Forest Service for a seasonal position where we will be doing wilderness inventory in the backcountry of Northern California. They are trusting me as leader of the crew, giving me a 6,000 dollar GPS unit called the Trimble Juno AND they are paying me to hike trails all day. Oh and a fat scholarship is added on top of that! I'll update you guys in 14 weeks, hopefully with some sick pics.

Reactions: 1 person
Flying out to California today. Joining the Forest Service for a seasonal position where we will be doing wilderness inventory in the backcountry of Northern California. They are trusting me as leader of the crew, giving me a 6,000 dollar GPS unit called the Trimble Juno AND they are paying me to hike trails all day. Oh and a fat scholarship is added on top of that! I'll update you guys in 14 weeks, hopefully with some sick pics.

Enjoy

What are the odds that you encounter a cash crop?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 1 person
Bosd lady is off tomorrow, we're going to walk in to the Dudleytown ruins, nice walk in great country.

Nah, would have been a good day for it, usually you can sneak in mid week without getting hemmed up. People go in and ruin ****, which screws it for everyone else, as they call the cops unless you park far north and hike in secretly.

It's a pretty creepy place.

Nah, would have been a good day for it, usually you can sneak in mid week without getting hemmed up. People go in and ruin ****, which screws it for everyone else, as they call the cops unless you park far north and hike in secretly.

It's a pretty creepy place.
Have only read about it, but I need to find a similar place in pa, used to explore ghost towns out west.

Have only read about it, but I need to find a similar place in pa, used to explore ghost towns out west.

I loved the abandoned homesteads in SE Colorado, tough people to try to scratch a living there.

After Volnationing too late, took the bird dog for an overland tromp through the state park next door, about 4 miles altogether. One Fisher, a half dozen deer, a barred owl, and a grouse that my foot came closer to than my faithful hound did.

If you're not in the woods 30 minutes before official sunrise, it's not worth going early.

What are the odds that you encounter a cash crop?
Well, let me tell you. :)

Week 1 we stumbled on an old growers camp. Broken buckets, fertilizer bags, and a broken shovel left behind. So much for the whole pristineness of a "Wilderness Area" thing. It was a fine shovel, so I took it and had it re-handled.

Week 2 a hispanic fellow pops out of nowhere, 8 miles in the sticks, literally he just appeared in front of us; scared the crap out of us; and worst of all, we could not figure out where he came from. He carried a bucket with a garden hose in it but thankfully he did not ask us any questions, just said hello and was on his way. I was pretty certain that I saw a metal object on his hip but my partner did not see it, no maybe it was imagination at play but I think Pedro was packin'.

Week 3 after an hour of searching for a camp which we knew was by a spring, we headed off trail by about 400 meters and discovered pvp pipes leading from the spring to the woods; we knew right away what this meant. So, like the helplessly determined idiots that we are, we followed the pvp pipes (which, by the way, were spray painted to match the surrounding foilage) until we saw what we wanted. An acre (at least!!!) of marijuana stood before us. We left the same way we came onto it. No trouble there, thankfully. I suspect that had it not been a such a rainy day, that we may have been spotted.

Week 4 Menocino National Forest does a "fly over" and discovers that 90% of the private land within and surrounding the N.F. boundary was "covered in pot plantations". "Lots of commercial growing and then some Ma and Pop grows". Minimal marijuana growing on National Forest land compared to the years before, but a few "major operations" were discovered on F.S. land.

Week 5 our "project" is cancelled and deemed unsafe. 10-Year Wilderness Plan has to wait another year. :peace2:

Last edited:
Went on the Bear lake hike at Rocky Mountain NP. It was still froze over 4 weeks ago. In a word, beautiful. We then drove to Grand Teton NP for 3 days. While there we did the String lake to Leigh lake hike. My God in heaven it was the most beautiful, majestic and inspiring thing I have ever seen. Also hiked to Hidden falls, Just add the adjectives I have already used for it too. We couldn't go any farther into Cascade canyon because there was still about 6 ft of soft snow on the horse trails, and the bridge across the creek had been washed away. We then went to Yellowstone for three days, and walked every thermal area. Also hiked the Uncle Toms point trail at Yellowstone and hiked around the rim on both sides some. We estimate we walked 20+ miles while out there. I really don't have any words to describe the powerful, spiritual beauty I was blessed to witness. My feeble vocabulary does not suffice. If you love nature and have a bit of Muir in you. Do whatever you can to go out there. We sacrificed birthdays, Christmas and anniversary to go and eating out, movies etc to go. It was beyond worth it. Sorry for the poor grammar, I am really sleepy.:thumbsup:

Went on the Bear lake hike at Rocky Mountain NP. It was still froze over 4 weeks ago. In a word, beautiful. We then drove to Grand Teton NP for 3 days. While there we did the String lake to Leigh lake hike. My God in heaven it was the most beautiful, majestic and inspiring thing I have ever seen. Also hiked to Hidden falls, Just add the adjectives I have already used for it too. We couldn't go any farther into Cascade canyon because there was still about 6 ft of soft snow on the horse trails, and the bridge across the creek had been washed away. We then went to Yellowstone for three days, and walked every thermal area. Also hiked the Uncle Toms point trail at Yellowstone and hiked around the rim on both sides some. We estimate we walked 20+ miles while out there. I really don't have any words to describe the powerful, spiritual beauty I was blessed to witness. My feeble vocabulary does not suffice. If you love nature and have a bit of Muir in you. Do whatever you can to go out there. We sacrificed birthdays, Christmas and anniversary to go and eating out, movies etc to go. It was beyond worth it. Sorry for the poor grammar, I am really sleepy.:thumbsup:

Very nice, I'm jealous and now have another bullet on my list.

VN Store

Back