Just Announced....

What Kiffin is selling is already extremely popular with recruits, and now you're starting to see the national media come around on him too.
What Meyer is selling is popular only with Florida fans. Everyone else in the country thinks he's an a-hole. Posted via VolNation Mobile
Perfect.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

There is a distinct difference in comments like:

"You run another play and you throw an interception or they throw another flag on us -- I wasn't going to let the refs lose the game for us there and some magical flag appear," Kiffen said.

"I'm sure we'll get one of those letters that really means nothing as Bobby got last week, but Florida and Alabama live on," he said Sunday.

Petrino: "When they hit you when you're on the white, it's supposed to be a late hit, a 15-yard penalty," Petrino said. "Unfortunately, in Florida, they don't call it that way."

Petrino was also upset about two penalties (a 15-yard personal foul and 10-yard pass interference call) on the Gators' final touchdown drive.

"It's unfortunate that the fourth quarter there's probably three plays that the officials made the difference in the game," Petrino said on his TV show.

Mullen: "I don't even know why we have replay right now in the Southeastern Conference if they're not going to utilize it," Mullen said.

"I hope he's severely punished if he ever works another SEC game again, because I think it's completely unacceptable," Mullen said.

And Meyer: “That should have been a penalty in my opinion," Meyer said. "Obviously it should have been. You have to protect quarterbacks. That’s the whole purpose. It’s right in front of the referee.”

Sure seems to me that Kiffen, Mullen and Petrino are specifically being critical and their comments are sarcastic at best. Meyer doesn't say, "the refs are trying to get my qb killed" or "the refs are clearly favoring UGA by not making that call." The whole tone is different. I don't know how anyone couldn't read the quotes above and see it the same way.

I believe you are right concerning the tone and the message... But at stake is what Slive's letter stated, and what it did not state... IT DID NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT JUDGING THE TONE but judging the statement and Meyer critized the officials... nuf said

"You run another play and you throw an interception or they throw another flag on us -- I wasn't going to let the refs lose the game for us there and some magical flag appear," Kiffen said.
"I'm sure we'll get one of those letters that really means nothing as Bobby got last week, but Florida and Alabama live on," he said Sunday.
Petrino: "When they hit you when you're on the white, it's supposed to be a late hit, a 15-yard penalty," Petrino said. "Unfortunately, in Florida, they don't call it that way."
Petrino was also upset about two penalties (a 15-yard personal foul and 10-yard pass interference call) on the Gators' final touchdown drive.
"It's unfortunate that the fourth quarter there's probably three plays that the officials made the difference in the game," Petrino said on his TV show.
Mullen: "I don't even know why we have replay right now in the Southeastern Conference if they're not going to utilize it," Mullen said.
"I hope he's severely punished if he ever works another SEC game again, because I think it's completely unacceptable," Mullen said.
And Meyer: “That should have been a penalty in my opinion," Meyer said. "Obviously it should have been. You have to protect quarterbacks. That’s the whole purpose. It’s right in front of the referee.”
Sure seems to me that Kiffen, Mullen and Petrino are specifically being critical and their comments are sarcastic at best. Meyer doesn't say, "the refs are trying to get my qb killed" or "the refs are clearly favoring UGA by not making that call." The whole tone is different. I don't know how anyone couldn't read the quotes above and see it the same way.
So what you're saying is that a reprimand is only in order if the offending coach takes a direct shot at UF in his comments. Gotcha. My bad. I thought Slive was pissed about The REFS getting called out.

So what you're saying is that a reprimand is only in order if the offending coach takes a direct shot at UF in his comments. Gotcha. My bad. I thought Slive was pissed about The REFS getting called out.

:good!: :hi:

Meyer said "In my opinion". I'm betting those three little words is what saved him.

Replay official suspended one game
By Graham Watson
ESPN.com

WAC football replay official Michael Goshim was suspended for one game beginning this weekend, conference commissioner Karl Benson announced.

Goshim was in the replay booth for last weekend's game between San Jose State and Boise State. The suspension was based on a play in which a runner was ruled short of a first down and was confirmed by the replay booth after a review. However, after further review, the runner clearly made the first down and the call should have been reversed.

"The WAC expects the same type of performance from our instant-replays officials as we do from the on-field officials," said Benson. "And while errors are going to occur -- both on the field and in the replay booth -- when they do, there must be accountability. Instant replay is used to get it right on the field and in this case the official had a chance to reverse a call at a very critical time in the game and did not. Thus, he will be suspended for his next assignment."

I find this crazy that the WAC suspends refs-the SEC suspends coaches for refs bad calls

meyer said nothing wrong, in fact, he was absolutly right.
but slive made the rule last week and now has to do something about meyer's comments. but he wont, and this sec double standard is sickening.

I don't think any coaches should be punished for this, but if Slive is going to punish Mullen, Kiffin, and Petrino, he should punish Meyer.

Vol fans are rabid, I have to appreciate that. While I disagree with the sentiment on this thread (gasp!), there is no use in my outlining the reasons why. It would, rightly, be met with venom and personal attacks...

It's good to see you can support your coach and see promise in the programs future. I think Fulmer was an excellent steward of the program for many years and was sad (not because we were kicking the snot outta him) to see him leave in the manner it happened. He turned a lot of excellent football players into respectable young men. Remember him for that...

Last edited:
He turned a lot of excellent football players into respectable young men. Remember him for that.

Amen. Travis Henry, Leonard Little, Dwayne Goodrich, and Donte Stallworth can all attest to Fulmer's skill at molding young men.

You still won the game d'bag. That would be another difference.

There's nothing anywhere out there to back this up. All smoke and no fire folks. Nothing to see here, move along...

Meyer saying he hadn't heard back from Slive yet. Guess the OP was hearing what he wanted to hear...

I don't think any coaches should be punished for this, but if Slive is going to punish Mullen, Kiffin, and Petrino, he should punish Meyer.
I agree 100%, however, Slime has this out.

The length of the suspension and the amount of the fine will be at the discretion of the Commissioner.
If the ADs really signed off on this crap, then he can let CUM off without even a slap on the wrist, while throwing the book at everyone else.

Kiffen said:

"You run another play and you throw an interception or they throw another flag on us -- I wasn't going to let the refs lose the game for us there and some magical flag appear"

Petrino said:

"When they hit you when you're on the white, it's supposed to be a late hit, a 15-yard penalty. Unfortunately, in Florida, they don't call it that way."

Both of these imply favoritism on the part of the officials, which is a serious allegation. It basically accuses the refs of cheating.

Meyer said a call should have been made, and that it was right in front of a ref. At worst, he was complaining that a ref made a mistake. He didn't cross the line and imply cheating.

Kiffen said:

"You run another play and you throw an interception or they throw another flag on us -- I wasn't going to let the refs lose the game for us there and some magical flag appear"

Petrino said:

"When they hit you when you're on the white, it's supposed to be a late hit, a 15-yard penalty. Unfortunately, in Florida, they don't call it that way."

Both of these imply favoritism on the part of the officials, which is a serious allegation. It basically accuses the refs of cheating.

Meyer said a call should have been made, and that it was right in front of a ref. At worst, he was complaining that a ref made a mistake. He didn't cross the line and imply cheating.

The beneficiary of said cheating would be a fool to point it out. Meyer's a whiny douchebag, but he's no fool.

Show me the part of Slive's threat that mentions criticizing the officiating AND implying cheating. Then, your homeristic drivel will make some sense.

Also, Mike Slive is the best football conference commisioner in the country and we're very luck to have him. The SEC is king because of his stewardship. Those of you who are calling for his job need to look beyond your orange and white world at the bigger picture.

VN Store

Back