2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Good questions. As coaches and teachers of the game, it would be appropriate to discuss the shooting technique with each player and let the players decide for themselves. As seniors, may be best to leave enough alone, but it should be discussed. I think Dubar given his size/height it is less of an issue in my opinion. He can speed up that wind up motion he has, and when he is in the paint he does elevate shot and releases early. I think Lanier's shot would be more complicated to adjust. It's quick enough but he needs space to get it off because it is such a low release.

Other immediate questions I would have (assuming we get Lanier as well) are:
1) Who is going to provide you any post offense?
2) Who is going to generate fouls and get easier pts from the FT line? DK was decent at that despite being primarily a permeter player. Really none of the portal guys shoot many FTs historically.
#2 scares me

We could have all this excitement and end up with nobody that can threaten the defense in the paint. That will make for a subpar season.

PG: Transfer / Hammond (Soph)
SG: Transfer / Boswell (Soph) / Freshman
SF: Transfer / Carr (Jr.) /
PF: Transfer / Cade (Jr.)
C: Okpara (Sr.) / JP (Jr.) / Mabor (Soph) / Brown (Fr)

9 player rotation per usual: 4 transfers, Okpara, JP, Carr, etc.

Assuming something like this, guess we will see. Boswell and Hammond could redshirt but I just made it easier to read by putting their actual class

BUT you never know in this age, someone could leave or multiple guys couple leave.
Carr was top 60 recruit. He’s gonna start next year. I think his high side is big time

Curious to know more about this Gabriel Mabor kid. I really like his 2022-23 tape on Youtube. Looks very fluid and in control for a big man. He could be a diamond in the rough and really like his upside. Honestly think he could walk in and be an immediate upgrade over JP and Cade.
Everyone who isn’t here is an upgrade over everyone who is here, every offseason, it’s a wonder we ever let anyone stay

#2 scares me

We could have all this excitement and end up with nobody that can threaten the defense in the paint. That will make for a subpar season.

Lanier went to the FT line 108 times
Igor went to the FT line 99 times
Dubar went to the FT line 94 times

All 3 of them would have just been behind DK/ZZ for this season's numbers. Just realize it's very unlikely we have a repeat season like this past one. I expect to see more than one player averaging 10 FGAs a game. I think we could very well have 3 or 4 guys pushing 12-15 FGAs a game this upcoming year. The offense will be far less dependent on 1 or 2 guys for buckets. And I think we'll continue to see it coached to take good shots regardless of shot clock so the pace will stay high.

Reactions: b_gann
I also think Carr, Cade and JP are all going to take some steps this next season. For those 3 to have earned as many minutes as they did with who was here speaks to their skillset.

I do think taking 1 year transfers it'll be hard to keep them off the court. But wouldn't surprise me at all if we don't see more players overall getting minutes.

Barnes trust ZZ and Mashack, but outside those 2 I think he'll keep a pretty tight leash and be willing to pull Gainey for Carr, pull Felix for JP, pull Dubar or Igor for Cade etc. early in the year. I just hope that the elevation of competition makes everyone better.

Reactions: jp1 and b_gann

VN Store

Back