Game thread: NCAA Second Round: No. 6 Seed Lady Vols vs. No. 3 Seed NC State

In your 5th yr and the product your putting out reeks. Players not getting any better, offense still not existent, and defensively we suck. Do we a sacrifice of one the assistants? Or Kellie is too bullheaded to change things.

If we are changing any assistant. It HAS to be her husband. She already got a chance at changing up assistants once. No more blaming others.

I don’t like the way Jon coaches. One moment in the SEC in particular rubbed me the wrong way. I didn’t post about it at the time because I’m just over it.

But.

The Kentucky game when Sarah was playing great and carrying the team. There was ONE play she did not defend baseline coverage properly. Kentucky didn’t score and we ended up getting the ball and Sarah scored again. I believe it was a media timeout and as they came off the floor Jon ripped Sarah up one side and down the other and then chewed her out the entire time out.

After the timeout one of Sarah’s teammates made a comment to her as they went on the floor and they laughed and rolled their eyes. They DO NOT take Jon seriously at all.

And when a player is carrying your team but makes one small mistake you don’t address that right then. You take care of that in film.

Last edited:
If Rickea does not get hurt and miss so many games against ranked teams we would have beaten several of those teams and been seeded much higher and we would have probably gone much farther in this tourney. However she did get hurt and it is what it is! Loved watching you play Rickea! Good luck in the WNBA!
Rickea 33 points on 22 shots today. The rest of the team 39 points on 38 shots so there is your problem. After her we have no one that is effective enough to win against the better teams. We would've done better sure, but as you play better teams you will eventually lose when it is like 3 on 1 of effective players.

Reactions: Tnphil
Better get a big Keys can’t play half a game she would be a good backup to another big maybe
I sometimes think we may not get anybody. We move slow and let some players that could've made a big difference either get away or just didn't go after them. I am waiting to see what we do this time. It has to be huge.

Reactions: Deebowbear
So do we chalk this season up as a good one or a kellie did as best as she could ? Or Underwhelming again for Tennessee lady vol basketball standards ?

Reactions: BreatheUT
I don't like that the program is faced with the coaching decision like this because unlike Warlick, I actually like Kellie. I stopped liking Warlick when she started playing head games with Speedy.

Reactions: Butch s
Some of you actually expected the Lady Vols to win this game. I didn't, because the game was played at NC State that has lost only 2 games at home this season. Wasn't going to happen.
I saw on ESPN ticker that NC State was predicted 76% chance of winner. I saw them play vs UTC and they looked totally different they played the whole game like they played 3rd Quarter tonight but that 2nd Quarter they couldn’t miss. It was like they were playing on their home court 😂

Unfortunately, this continues the streak of Harper TN teams never having beaten a higher seeded team in the tourney. I had hoped like heck this time would be different like a lot of others on here.
Sometimes, you just have to understand where your program is and that goes for both sides of the Harper argument. She’ll probably be back, but after five years, I think it is more than obvious that Harper probably isn’t going to move us any higher. If a Sweet Sixteen 50% of the time and being in and out of the Receiving Votes section is White’s goal, then we are exactly where we need to be. I think everyone here has higher goals than that outside a few very strident Kellie supporters.; however, those that matter($$$)may not.

If we are changing any assistant. It HAS to be her husband. She already got a chance at changing up assistants once. No more blaming others.

I don’t like the way Jon coaches. One moment in the SEC in particular rubbed me the wrong way. I didn’t post about it at the time because I’m just over it.

But.

The Kentucky game when Sarah was playing great and carrying the team. There was ONE play she did not defend baseline covered properly. Kentucky didn’t score and we ended up getting the ball and Sarah scored again. I believe it was a media timeout and as they came off the floor Jon ripped Sarah up one side and down the other and then chewed her out the entire time out.

After the timeout one of Sarah’s teammates made a comment to her as they went on the floor and they laughed and rolled their eyes. They DO NOT take Jon seriously at all.

And when a player is carrying your team but makes one small mistake you don’t address that right then. You take care of that in film.
No seriously, when they did the video sit down with Rickea and she was asked to describe what each of the coaches bring, she said Jon with his jokes . Sounded like the team has more respect for Coach Joy then any of the other assistants. Which you can kinda see on the bench.

So do we chalk this season up as a good one or a kellie did as best as she could ? Or Underwhelming again for Tennessee lady vol basketball standards ?
I think if we would have remained healthy we wouldn’t have been a 6 seed and had to play a road game against a good team. Would like to be better, but it made sense given our early/ mid season health.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Interesting post game note... NC State fans were saying Kellie should have known better than to come in their arena and spite them by wearing light blue uni's instead of orange. It was said the team didn't like it either and it put fire in them early in the game. I didn't have a problem with it as it's Summitt Blue and showed some moxie, but, man, those Stater's hate UNC and anything light blue. Sort of like me and crimson...

We are going to the NC St v Vols football game in the fall... Nico, we need some payback for the Lady's... and maybe I'll wear light blue
I also have my tickets and we will take them to the woodshed. 38-10 book it. They are roadkill on our way to the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see if any of the players put in for the portal. Probably comes down to playing time in a mid major vs. liking the experience at Tennessee.

But.

The Kentucky game when Sarah was playing great and carrying the team. There was ONE play she did not defend baseline covered properly. Kentucky didn’t score and we ended up getting the ball and Sarah scored again. I believe it was a media timeout and as they came off the floor Jon ripped Sarah up one side and down the other and then chewed her out the entire time out.

I didn't see today's game unfortunately because iwas at work. Jon boy has never impressed me
As a coach. I really hoped Kellie could make a go
Of it but her insistance of having Jon boy as an
Assistant is a detriment not an asset. I don't know what he does in practice but game time
He just seems to carry a clipboard around

Reactions: VolBall09

VN Store

Back