2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Mashack and Dillione are fine players especially Mashack but they are not at a level that you lose sleep at night worrying about them transferring. This is the transfer portal era of college sports and the market will be flooded with their skill sets.
Not saying you’re wrong necessarily but for me part of the enjoyment of the sport is watching the same guy get better year after year then depart after 3 or 4 years as a program staple. So I will still be sad if Mashack in particular leaves, even if replaced with a comparable player

Not saying you’re wrong necessarily but for me part of the enjoyment of the sport is watching the same guy get better year after year then depart after 3 or 4 years as a program staple. So I will still be sad if Mashack in particular leaves, even if replaced with a comparable player
Your right and I'm not suggesting that we want to lose Mashack or should run him off just that his actual basketball skills are replaceable. His experience and leadership from being in the program for four years would be the hardest thing to replace.

Reactions: orange beard
If he leaves, just pretend he's going pro after three years.

Reactions: berryvol
They raved about him in practice. I think it will click. Don’t want to lose him.
I do as well. Can't argue he hasn't shown a lot yet but his minute here and minute there have been so few an far between, even after his injury, it wouldn't allow even a seasoned college player to get in any kind of rhythm let alone a true freshman. He's quick, can jump and shows decent form on his shot. He will do well for some team but I want that team to be Tennessee.

Reactions: berryvol
Mashack and Dillione are fine players especially Mashack but they are not at a level that you lose sleep at night worrying about them transferring. This is the transfer portal era of college sports and the market will be flooded with their skill sets.
Disagree. Players with Mashacks skill sets are not easy to find. Strong rebounder, mature team first player, Versitale defender, willing to do the dirty work with the potential to really step up his offensive game. Guys like him aer not a dime a dozen.

I’m a known Barnes defender, but I think Mashack is poorly used and underused. He deserves more minutes and should be used better in the offense.
I believe in loyalty but Barnes has went above and beyond with Vescovi. He should have been coming off the bench and giving Mashack a rest. He’s not great on offense but he’s just as good or better than Vescovi this year. Not just downing Vescovi because I’ve always been a fan and I still am but his shot isn’t even close anymore.

Disagree. Players with Mashacks skill sets are not easy to find. Strong rebounder, mature team first player, Versitale defender, willing to do the dirty work with the potential to really step up his offensive game. Guys like him aer not a dime a dozen.
Mashack could have a breakout year. Confidence on offense is a lot of his issue. Being forced into having to score more could help him. As of right now he has to be considered just a valuable role player. Nothing wrong with that at all just not something that fans should be obsessing about losing.

I believe in loyalty but Barnes has went above and beyond with Vescovi. He should have been coming off the bench and giving Mashack a rest. He’s not great on offense but he’s just as good or better than Vescovi this year. Not just downing Vescovi because I’ve always been a fan and I still am but his shot isn’t even close anymore.

I think that Mashack gets uncontested looks from the 3PL while Vescovi draws defenders. Therefore Knecht has more opportunities when SV is on the floor instead of JM.

Reactions: sami and VOLED
Is Lovie on the plane circling again? He’s a Clown!
Um, who?
Nevermind, you mean the guy who apparently mentioned this stuff, Basilio. I actually didn’t notice that it was mentioned he shared it, but either way, I don’t see it happening.

Reactions: lastlap
I’m a known Barnes defender, but I think Mashack is poorly used and underused. He deserves more minutes and should be used better in the offense.
To be fair, he could stand to be a little more aggressive himself, offensively. A lot of times, it seems like he just wants to blend in and allow the ball to pass thru him to someone else rather than taking his man off the dribble or putting up a shot. It feels like he has to be wide open to have confidence to let it go.

To be fair, he could stand to be a little more aggressive himself, offensively. A lot of times, it seems like he just wants to blend in and allow the ball to pass thru him to someone else rather than taking his man off the dribble or putting up a shot. It feels like he has to be wide open to have confidence to let it go.
And frustratingly, sometimes that’s not enough still, even with decent shooting numbers. Still, love him as a player, really want him to stay, and agree with SF’s point that he’s underused

I don’t disagree. Having watched a few practices over several years, I find our biggest weakness on offense is players not knowing when to shoot or drive. Barnes is highly critical of “bad” shots, and dribbling into traffic. A lot of these “bad” shots are open shots, they’re just early in the clock, or the five is high and not available to rebound. What you’re saying about Mashack could be said about Josiah or Santi. I think we’ve all screamed “shoot” or “drive” at the TV more than once. In fairness this is the style Barnes plays. They just won a very tough conference. Obviously this season has been looser than normal as far as the green light being on, but there are times the older guys still seem to be wearing their “don’t shoot shock collars”.

Last edited:
Your right and I'm not suggesting that we want to lose Mashack or should run him off just that his actual basketball skills are replaceable. His experience and leadership from being in the program for four years would be the hardest thing to replace.

You don't find many guys that can defend like Mashack can--fact. And you need some hard-nosed defenders to progress
in the NCAA.

He’s gotten 17.5 minutes per game. That’s a more than “a few minutes here and there”
I didn't realize that. Has he played every game?
I just looked it up..Looks like he's played every game.
Really doesn't seem like it, but thanks for pointing it out.

He’s gotten 17.5 minutes per game. That’s a more than “a few minutes here and there”
Yep but actually slightly less minutes than he got last year. Mashack is going to want starter minutes. I would start him in the tournament over Vescovi at 2G and position him to start next year at the 3. If we bring an another wing player from the portal it needs to be a combo forward who can play both forward positions.

Mashack will never be a big scorer but he is capable of getting 10 per game potentially.

VN Store

Back