BTO’s Kentucky Postgame Report

I think the players have become too dependent on DK to take over, almost losing confidence in themselves to take the tough shots in clutch moments. Someone else needs to be a go to guy, not just Knecht. It’s as much a mental thing as anything else. Love how the Sheppard kid played with that kind of confidence.

I’m not sure there’s a team in the country who would’ve run that 4 game gauntlet without a loss. That was absolutely brutal. Getting 2 days off at the SECT will be a godsend for these guys. They need a break.

Agreed. This 6 day break before we have to play again will be huge. We need this rest. We are beaten up.

I think the players relaxed a little after winning and UK came ready to play. My only question is whether this cost us the #1 seed or not.

1. I get it, losing to Kentucky sucks, losing at TBA sucks, we are fans and want to win every single game, but have some perspective. Entering the 4 game stretch we all would’ve gladly taken 3-1, check. Entering the season we all would’ve taken a SEC regular season title, check as well. Entering the year we all would’ve gladly taken a 1 or 2 seed, check. Is/was there more to play for, absolutely, but also keep things in perspective as well.

2. Dalton Knecht was unbelievable yet again, and you get the feeling that as he feels his time is winding down he’s pressing the button a little sooner each game he senses trouble, he finally got his 40 piece, hate that it was in an losing effort but that’s no fault of his own. He’s playing elite offensive ball and he’s a major weapon as we head into the dance, the more help he can get the more dangerous he will become, which brings me to my next point.

3. Aidoo wasn’t great by any means, but I’ll include him in the Big 3 that I’ve referred to for awhile now (Zeigler, Knecht & Aidoo)…they combined to go 24-55 for 44%, everyone else combined for 4-19 for 21%, most of which was your 2 fifth year VFL seniors, Vescovi & JJJ, combining to go 2-14. Simply out, that can’t happen. Those guys don’t have to be stars, they don’t have to give 20+, but you need to be able to count on them to take and hit open shots at a decent percentage.

4. As much as we want to point to those offensive struggles when you’ve essentially got a tied up game at the half (1pt game 30 seconds in), and the 2nd half score ends up being 53-53, it’s hard to point too much to the offense as the issue and not talk about the defense. Kentucky shot lights out, if they’re gonna shoot ~30 threes and game and hit them at a 50%+ clip they very well might win the whole thing, especially if they attempt to play defense like they did tonight. Now some of that was them and some of it was on us, but they got hot and we got lost a few times and continued to lose Shepperd which should never ever happen.

5. Big picture, obviously the SEC was won and the 1 seed in the SECT was already locked up, you were playing for NCAAT seeding at this point. I don’t think this game cost us the 1 seed as I’ve said before, I think it lowers the chances, but I definitely think it’s still on the table. An Arizona win tonight and I’ll say it’s 50/50 entering conference tournament play, a loss by Arizona tonight and I think it’s right back up to that 95%+ range we were seeing reflected on bracketmatrix. North Carolina beating Duke could bring them into the picture as well although I still think they’d be 3rd in the picture…all that to say, a win today and I think we’d have locked it up, with the L I think it’s back to competing for that 1 seed still.

GBO!!!
Vescovi and James don't need to score much but they have to hit wide open 3s. Vescovi's shooting has been terrible all season.

1. I get it, losing to Kentucky sucks, losing at TBA sucks, we are fans and want to win every single game, but have some perspective. Entering the 4 game stretch we all would’ve gladly taken 3-1, check. Entering the season we all would’ve taken a SEC regular season title, check as well. Entering the year we all would’ve gladly taken a 1 or 2 seed, check. Is/was there more to play for, absolutely, but also keep things in perspective as well.

2. Dalton Knecht was unbelievable yet again, and you get the feeling that as he feels his time is winding down he’s pressing the button a little sooner each game he senses trouble, he finally got his 40 piece, hate that it was in an losing effort but that’s no fault of his own. He’s playing elite offensive ball and he’s a major weapon as we head into the dance, the more help he can get the more dangerous he will become, which brings me to my next point.

3. Aidoo wasn’t great by any means, but I’ll include him in the Big 3 that I’ve referred to for awhile now (Zeigler, Knecht & Aidoo)…they combined to go 24-55 for 44%, everyone else combined for 4-19 for 21%, most of which was your 2 fifth year VFL seniors, Vescovi & JJJ, combining to go 2-14. Simply out, that can’t happen. Those guys don’t have to be stars, they don’t have to give 20+, but you need to be able to count on them to take and hit open shots at a decent percentage.

4. As much as we want to point to those offensive struggles when you’ve essentially got a tied up game at the half (1pt game 30 seconds in), and the 2nd half score ends up being 53-53, it’s hard to point too much to the offense as the issue and not talk about the defense. Kentucky shot lights out, if they’re gonna shoot ~30 threes and game and hit them at a 50%+ clip they very well might win the whole thing, especially if they attempt to play defense like they did tonight. Now some of that was them and some of it was on us, but they got hot and we got lost a few times and continued to lose Shepperd which should never ever happen.

5. Big picture, obviously the SEC was won and the 1 seed in the SECT was already locked up, you were playing for NCAAT seeding at this point. I don’t think this game cost us the 1 seed as I’ve said before, I think it lowers the chances, but I definitely think it’s still on the table. An Arizona win tonight and I’ll say it’s 50/50 entering conference tournament play, a loss by Arizona tonight and I think it’s right back up to that 95%+ range we were seeing reflected on bracketmatrix. North Carolina beating Duke could bring them into the picture as well although I still think they’d be 3rd in the picture…all that to say, a win today and I think we’d have locked it up, with the L I think it’s back to competing for that 1 seed still.

GBO!!!

Bench was a no show in this game and the team looked to be emotionally drained from the Senior Day festivities.

Only good thing out of that loss is the mildkittens got the #2 seed in the SEC tourney. Meaning we won’t see them except in the championship
Game. If both teams make it there.
Speaking of Ky's seed, what are the brackets for the SEC tournament?

It's a loss where we had plenty to gain (#1 seed) but very little to lose (SEC title secured and 1/2 seed certain), so pretty much what I expected to see tonight. I'm more encouraged than concerned after making it a game in the last few mins after UK went scorched earth from 3.

We lost the game at the free throw line, to be real.

I like our chances in both tourneys. This could be the best season in UT men's bb history. Let's go Vols!

Reactions: berryvol
I think the players have become too dependent on DK to take over, almost losing confidence in themselves to take the tough shots in clutch moments. Someone else needs to be a go to guy, not just Knecht. It’s as much a mental thing as anything else. Love how the Sheppard kid played with that kind of confidence.
We had other players taking shots, however they were hitting only 31 % of them. ZZ had a slow start, but had a good game when he got started.

Reactions: StrangeVol
Vescovi and James don't need to score much but they have to hit wide open 3s. Vescovi's shooting has been terrible all season.
JJJ wasn't efficient shooting today but he did hit 2 important three's and ended up with 8 pts. I will take that most days from him. Vescovi/Gainey scored only 2 pts from the 2G position this afternoon. That really can't happen. They also, along with other perimeter defenders (including Mashack, DK, ZZ and JJJ) got abused today. Our bench was basically non-existent the entire game on the offensive end with only 5 pts. That can't happen either.

UT had 15 more FG attempts over Kentucky today, yet only made 1 more shot. Honestly as bad as we shot the ball vs how well Kentucky shot the ball, it is a miracle we were within a missed 3 pointer from JJJ to tie it up. It was a good look and he had to take it.

Speaking of Ky's seed, what are the brackets for the SEC tournament?
TN- 1 seed
KY- 2 seed
Bama- 3 seed
Auburn - 4 seed

Our side of bracket:
Vandy plays Arkansas
USC jr plays the winner

Friday- TN plays winner of LSU/ MS State
Auburn will most likely play USC jr

Saturday: Auburn vs TN in semis (imo)

Other side of bracket: KY, FL, Bama are top seeds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfan1000
Kentucky shot lights out, if they’re gonna shoot ~30 threes and game and hit them at a 50%+ clip they very well might win the whole thing, especially if they attempt to play defense like they did tonight.

Yeah, its hard to beat what they did today, especially when we are so cold ourselves (first half mostly). I wondered what everyone else's take would be, but it seems most agree that we played well enough to win, with plenty of effort. Kentucky simply had a really great day from 3 point range.

Reactions: Volfan1000
TN- 1 seed
KY- 2 seed
Bama- 3 seed
Auburn - 4 seed

Our side of bracket:
Vandy plays Arkansas
USC jr plays the winner

Friday- TN plays winner of LSU/ MS State
Auburn will most likely play USC jr

Saturday: Auburn vs TN in semis (imo)

Other side of bracket: KY, FL, Bama are top seeds.

You’re really going out on a limb with that prediction. lol. Wait - you edited your post while I was responding. Haha

This team will choke in the tournament that’s what Rick Barnes does just go ahead and prepare yourself for that disappointment they won’t make it past the sweet 16. Barnes is a great regular season but a terrible ncaa tournament coach.

If we don’t run the table in the dance, we go home with performances like tonight from our two super seniors

Has worked several times this year mid game. Now twice it has worked late game - tonight and @ miss state.
It has and I was here for it after the Miss St game. But now, to me anyway, the reward doesn’t outweigh the risk of guys like DK, ZZ and Mashack losing legs for what they’re very good at. Also too late in the season for that switch.

Edit… nvm I should have read the whole conversation. Neither of you guys were talking about a switch lol

VN Store

Back