BTO’s Kentucky Postgame Report

bleedingTNorange

1. I get it, losing to Kentucky sucks, losing at TBA sucks, we are fans and want to win every single game, but have some perspective. Entering the 4 game stretch we all would’ve gladly taken 3-1, check. Entering the season we all would’ve taken a SEC regular season title, check as well. Entering the year we all would’ve gladly taken a 1 or 2 seed, check. Is/was there more to play for, absolutely, but also keep things in perspective as well.

2. Dalton Knecht was unbelievable yet again, and you get the feeling that as he feels his time is winding down he’s pressing the button a little sooner each game he senses trouble, he finally got his 40 piece, hate that it was in an losing effort but that’s no fault of his own. He’s playing elite offensive ball and he’s a major weapon as we head into the dance, the more help he can get the more dangerous he will become, which brings me to my next point.

3. Aidoo wasn’t great by any means, but I’ll include him in the Big 3 that I’ve referred to for awhile now (Zeigler, Knecht & Aidoo)…they combined to go 24-55 for 44%, everyone else combined for 4-19 for 21%, most of which was your 2 fifth year VFL seniors, Vescovi & JJJ, combining to go 2-14. Simply out, that can’t happen. Those guys don’t have to be stars, they don’t have to give 20+, but you need to be able to count on them to take and hit open shots at a decent percentage.

4. As much as we want to point to those offensive struggles when you’ve essentially got a tied up game at the half (1pt game 30 seconds in), and the 2nd half score ends up being 53-53, it’s hard to point too much to the offense as the issue and not talk about the defense. Kentucky shot lights out, if they’re gonna shoot ~30 threes and game and hit them at a 50%+ clip they very well might win the whole thing, especially if they attempt to play defense like they did tonight. Now some of that was them and some of it was on us, but they got hot and we got lost a few times and continued to lose Shepperd which should never ever happen.

5. Big picture, obviously the SEC was won and the 1 seed in the SECT was already locked up, you were playing for NCAAT seeding at this point. I don’t think this game cost us the 1 seed as I’ve said before, I think it lowers the chances, but I definitely think it’s still on the table. An Arizona win tonight and I’ll say it’s 50/50 entering conference tournament play, a loss by Arizona tonight and I think it’s right back up to that 95%+ range we were seeing reflected on bracketmatrix. North Carolina beating Duke could bring them into the picture as well although I still think they’d be 3rd in the picture…all that to say, a win today and I think we’d have locked it up, with the L I think it’s back to competing for that 1 seed still.

GBO!!!

They came at us defensively, shot 50% most of the game from 3 and the good guys struggled to hit the barn’s broadside. As much as it tastes like vinegar there really isn’t anything wrong with takin an L here and the positives that have came from the previous Ls. Now bring on the next run!!! This might be history we won’t forget.

Knecht was great again, but really need to get the rest of the role players going. Not sure if it’s running plays early for vescovi/jjj or what, but need them to start hitting some shots again like they’re capable of doing.

End of the day, this loss isn’t a huge deal but disappointing sendoff for the seniors. Hopefully they get the proper ending to their great careers here on out.

Basketball is strange. Can’t win em all. We didn’t shoot great in first half. Kentucky shot amazing in second half. Can’t beat that. Reminds me of auburns final four run few years back. They hit threes like crazy. I’ll take 3-1. Hopefully we win the tourney. We will be one seed for sure.

Still hard to win a natty in a big tourney. Go vols.

Reactions: njvols
I have long been critical of Cal as an Xs and Os coach, but I gotta give the devil his due: he had a great gameplan for us today.
🤮 gotta agree. They overplayed half the court and we didn’t discover the skip pass until the 2nd half. We made adjustments just a little late. Despise giving him credit but it’s due today.

Reactions: StrangeVol
We may rue this loss it costs us a 1 seed. There's surely a big difference between playing Iowa State or Arizona than one of the big three--and we'll likely get stuck in a bracket with one of them now. If Arizona gets the 1 seed in the West with Iowa State the 2 seed, we'll understand what we lost. We could still get a 1 seed for sure, but we'll have to win at least 1 and maybe two tourney games, I'd bet.

Losing stinks especially against Kentucky at home. Hopefully it's just a combination of seniors being emotional on senior day, mental fatigue overall from last 2 weeks, plus Kentucky just shooting lights out.

Reactions: Volbackhomefromtx
Vescovi And James have to at least between the 2 of them average at least 15.... Knecht is having to take over because of the lack of offensive production if them... They simply just have to give something half of their career scoring average

I felt there was a defensive breakdown on Sheppard. Everyone knows he is a 50%+ 3 point shooter and even better when he gets an open look. But that's the thing, he doesn't shoot unless he is wide open (kind of like Vescovi) and as a result doesn't get as many shots off. The best defense is done before the ball gets in his hands. Yet, today, we let him shoot 10 times from 3. That's more than any other times in the season. I'm more dissapointed in that, than the fact he made 7 of them. We limit him to a usual performance and we win.

Also, I didn’t mind the pregame Sheppard love( it’s probably deserved especially for a freshman) but wish we’d recognized his hot hand and stopped going so deep with the inside help. If they were killing us going to the basket I get it… but why sag so deep when Mashacks guy drive to the free throw line. Trust the defense and cheat toward shooters not drivers unless they’re finishing.

Sorry that’s my rant

Reactions: oldaaucoach
Izzo always said he prays for a tough loss late in the season to clear it out of the system. I still believe this is one of the best five teams in the country. With the right path, we can go far.
I’ve been saying since Wednesday I want one more loss for this team. I’d have rather it been next Saturday than today, but I’m fine with this. One (maybe another next weekend) more teaching moment and show these guys they are human. Love what we have and the battle we showed today, there’s a ton of overreaction going on on here tonight (shocker right?).

I am less disappointed in the loss, and more disappointed/concerned about bench scoring.

We haven’t exactly played well on offense lately, which if you look at it glass half full, you can spin that to say we are due some hot shooting nights in the tournament. Or, if you look at it glass half empty, you start to get a bit concerned about if this team can support Knecht just enough to overcome all of our other offensive woes.

Vescovi is always going to bring it night in, and night out on defense. But I struggle to see us making it far if he can’t find one last spurt of offensive firepower these next few weeks. We have been at our best when we have a balanced attack. We need that back.

I have long been critical of Cal as an Xs and Os coach, but I gotta give the devil his due: he had a great gameplan for us today.
Not sure I agree. We were simply missing way too many shots, even good looks at the basket. If we don’t open shooting something like 2 for 20, we take control of the game early and don’t look back.

I don't know how to feel about this one. We need the other guys on the team to step up offensively, especially JJJ and Vescovi. I love those guys and the effort they bring, but you got to hit some shots, especially the open ones.

Shepherd had a career game. He couldn't miss.

I think we are also a little tired, but we still fought.

VN Store

Back