Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

What do you call 25 skydiving lawyers?

Skeet.
I dont understand the hate for lawyers. As much as big pharma, corporations (insurance) companies predate on folks who otherwise cannot advocate for themselves. It is the only avenue for many people. Sadly, as there are in many professions, are people chasing a dollar.

I dont understand the hate for lawyers. As much as big pharma, corporations (insurance) companies predate on folks who otherwise cannot advocate for themselves. It is the only avenue for many people. Sadly, as there are in many professions, are people chasing a dollar.
No hate on my part although I was in healthcare for 40 years. Never experienced a malpractice suit so I really have no axe to grind. Just trolling NighthawkVol and having a bit of fun.

How many lawyer jokes are there, anyway? Only three. The rest are true stories. Sorry....had to slip one more in before I quit.

Most people who “hate” lawyers have no idea what lawyers do or how many different kinds of lawyers there are. But people are free to forgo legal representation if they prefer.

Most people who “hate” lawyers have no idea what lawyers do or how many different kinds of lawyers there are. But people are free to forgo legal representation if they prefer.
Seriously, don't hate 'em at all. One of my best friends is an atty. Just poking at you a bit. No offense intended. My deepest apologies if it came across in any way other than some good natured ribbing. My wife is always telling me that I'm not the least bit funny, and I don't know when to quit....and she's right....again.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Seriously, don't hate 'em at all. One of my best friends is an atty. Just poking at you a bit. No offense intended. My deepest apologies if it came across in any way other than some good natured ribbing. My wife is always telling me that I'm not the least bit funny, and I don't know when to quit.
Oh I know. I was just replying to his post about people who claim to hate lawyers. That wasn’t directed at you. I didn’t take your jokes personally AT ALL.

I know some wonderful humans who are lawyers and I know some real pricks who are lawyers…just like any other profession, I suppose.

If my skin were that thin, I’d have chosen another profession. You should worry about being unfunny, but not about offending me. 😁

Reactions: CAVPUT
Oh I know. I was just replying to his post about people who claim to hate lawyers. That wasn’t directed at you. I didn’t take your jokes personally AT ALL.

I know some wonderful humans who are lawyers and I know some real pricks who are lawyers…just like any other profession, I suppose.

If my skin were that thin, I’d have chosen another profession. You should worry about being unfunny, but not about offending me. 😁
Wait…were you really apologizing or just worried I’d sue you? 😂🤣😂

Reactions: CAVPUT and CABVOL

Reactions: NighthawkVol
What do you call 25 skydiving lawyers?

Skeet.
Not all lawyers are bad. Some lawyers represent victims or truly innocent defendants. Then you have the ambulance chasers and defense attorneys who defend people who they know are guilty....those are the pieces of trash.

Not all lawyers are bad. Some lawyers represent victims or truly innocent defendants. Then you have the ambulance chasers and defense attorneys who defend people who they know are guilty....those are the pieces of trash.
You’re wrong about criminal defense attorneys. It doesn’t matter if an attorney knows they’re guilty. All defendants have a right to legal representation. All. It’s up to the state to prove guilt. Without competent defense. A “guilty” person might receive a punishment that’s too harsh for the crime.

I don’t work in the criminal realm, but I’m tired of the notion that defending an accused who is found guilty is somehow wrong. It isn’t. It’s prescribed by the Bill of Rights to our Federal Constitution.

You’re wrong about criminal defense attorneys. It doesn’t matter if an attorney knows they’re guilty. All defendants have a right to legal representation. All. It’s up to the state to prove guilt. Without competent defense. A “guilty” person might receive a punishment that’s too harsh for the crime.

I don’t work in the criminal realm, but I’m tired of the notion that defending an accused who is found guilty is somehow wrong. It isn’t. It’s prescribed by the Bill of Rights to our Federal Constitution.
Attorneys can choose who they defend. Sorry that offends you but if you willingly defend a child molester who you know is guilty....you're a piece of trash. Only attorney who has no choice is a court appointed attorney. Other ones are chasing money.

Once again I said THAT YOU KNOW IS GUILTY.

Attorneys can choose who they defend. Sorry that offends you but if you willingly defend a child molester who you know is guilty....you're a piece of trash. Only attorney who has no choice is a court appointed attorney. Other ones are chasing money.

You’re thinking emotionally, not legally.
Those are different things.

Reactions: Jackcrevol

It’s just the 6th Amendment, man. It’s not up for debate, unless you don’t agree with the constitution. You’re thinking way too black and white. No criminal defense attorney only represents innocent clients. None. It’s not about whether they’re moral or not.

Hypothetical:

You commit negligent manslaughter. In your jurisdiction, that carries a 20 year prison term. State charges you with deprived heart 1st degree murder. Punishable by death.

In your world, you shouldn’t receive any legal defense because any lawyer who would defend you is trash. Because, after all, you’re guilty. Off to the death chamber you go. A competent legal defense would have resulted in a proper punishment of your guilt, but in your world, you’re not entitled to such.

We as a country decided at our founding that we’re not giving all the power to the state. We broke away from a country like that. That means ALL defendants get a competent legal defense. If the state proves its case, Justice is done. No one is immoral for doing a job that the constitution provides.

It’s just the 6th Amendment, man. It’s not up for debate, unless you don’t agree with the constitution. You’re thinking way too black and white. No criminal defense attorney only represents innocent clients. None. It’s not about whether they’re moral or not.

Hypothetical:

You commit negligent manslaughter. In your jurisdiction, that carries a 20 year prison term. State charges you with deprived heart 1st degree murder. Punishable by death.

In your world, you shouldn’t receive any legal defense because any lawyer who would defend you is trash. Because, after all, you’re guilty. Off to the death chamber you go. A competent legal defense would have resulted in a proper punishment of your guilt, but in your world, you’re not entitled to such.

We as a country decided a at our founding that we’re not giving all the power to the state. We broke away from a country like that. That means ALL defendants get a competent legal defense. If the state proves its case, Justice is done. No one is immoral for doing a job that the constitution provides.
To me the difference between defending a know shoplifter and defending a known child molester, are astronomical. That's the moral part, an attorney doesn't HAVE to represent who they don't want to. Unless, of course, it's court appointed.

Edit...I understand what you're saying about the legal part. Don't misunderstand me, I'm speaking solely from a moral standpoint of having the choice of who you defend. We're arguing from two totally different perspectives.

Reactions: utvolmaniac
My moral compass would never allow me to defend a child molester. I'd just pass him to another attorney who would. Oh well.
Your one-off applied as a sweeping generalization to an entire industry.

Citizens of the US are guaranteed counsel.

My brother prosecuted child sex crimes, in the Navy. He wasnt given a choice. Guarantee public defenders dont have a choice.

Your one-off applied as a sweeping generalization to an entire industry.

Citizens of the US are guaranteed counsel.

My brother prosecuted child sex crimes, in the Navy. He wasnt given a choice. Guarantee public defenders dont have a choice.
I've literally said what you said numerous times. I've specified what I meant a few times. I'm done talking about it now.

VN Store

Back