Who are the richest NIL programs?

What does that list show with respect to recruiting?
Doesn't tell which team's NIL support is greatest in terms of $$$ but CU, USC and LSU each have 2 of the highest paid players.

Which bring up the $8 M Nico deal. I've seen that number many times but never from an authorative source .

Reactions: Volfan1000
Since 2008 Saban was far far ahead in under the table buying of players, protected 100% by Birmingham based SEC office, Championships followed, Kirby left and Ga used same buying formula and told SEC office if it came after him he would expose everything about Satan. Championships for 2 years.
This is just such a tiresome, uneducated opinion. Good gosh….

I seriously doubt we're near the top in money.

Rankings of players:

Most of the top aren't backed by collectives, they have direct endorsement deals. Colorado has some because they're flashy with Sanders but the rest are just high profile athletes. If Tennessee can win like last year, Nico will be Top-5 easily.

Tennessee has a massive brand appeal and the deals will come when/if we start actually winning.

And don't, you know, lose by 10+ to every meaningful opponent. We gotta win primetime games.

Maybe it’s not just the money, it’s the recruiter and the closer. We don’t have relentless recruiters on the staff.

Doesn't tell which team's NIL support is greatest in terms of $$$ but CU, USC and LSU each have 2 of the highest paid players.

Which bring up the $8 M Nico deal. I've seen that number many times but never from an authorative source .
Famous parents or money made outside of school. Unless you think lsu is paying millions for gymnasts

What really scares me is how wild, wild west the NIL is and rules vary by state. Specifically if down here in Florida we pass the in state law equivalent to "Missiouri NIL law." If this happens Tennessee us about to be screwed big time. All the Florida kids will stay here at FSU, MIAMI, or UF.

Edit: to clarify, the mizzo law says kids can be paid IN HIGH SCHOOL after they sign an NIL and sign with an in state school. Florida law will be similar.

Reactions: LWSVOL
We just got outbid for the #1 OL by Colorado. What does that tell you?
There were a lot of eggs in that basket. One has to have some sanity in negotiating with High School Players. Plus, we have a couple of really good OTs already committed. Would loved to have gotten him, but there are a lot of other big fish in the pond. I don't want us to end up being another TA&M..

That's a guess of their market value, i.e. "valuation". On3 has no idea what kids are actually being paid. The collectives/students aren't sharing their contracts with On3.

Reactions: LWSVOL and Raebo
That's a guess of their market value, i.e. "valuation". On3 has no idea what kids are actually being paid. The collectives/students aren't sharing their contracts with On3.
This is the best article I've read about the subject.

Quote from article:

"The average starter at a big-time football program now takes in about $103,000 a year, according to Opendorse, a company that processes payments to the players for the collectives."

Alabama has a head and shoulders lead in the Referee NIL.

View attachment 600677
My guess is that Oregon will be near the top. Last I saw Phil Knight was worth about $60 Billion and he supports Oregon just like Boone Pickens supported Ok St. He's already give Oregon > $300 M. And anther possible source for funding that collective is Steve Ballmer's
wife who is an Oregon grad and a University trustee. Ballmer is worth about $175 Billion.

Last edited:
Reactions: posivol
If Colorado can get their NIL packages close to the same ballpark for a kid, you're going to have them pick up players that want to play for Coach Prime. He is part of the bid. Also, there are a lot of young men who share Prime's attitude and love his swagger & bling. (The jury is out on whether his swagger & bling are good for a young man just out of high school, but Coach Prime sure has a lot of both.)

Spyre can help insure that UT is competitive for the kids that fit... and fit for all UT athletic programs. If I'm not mistaken, we need that NIL collective for basketball, baseball, as well.

As for this Seaton kid... he's a five star but I don't think anyone believes him to be a "generational" talent... or even a potential one. Let's say Spyre "out bids" everyone for a Seaton or Nolan, then is short on funds when a generational talent at quarterback considers playing in Knoxville?

We haven't gotten more than 1 5 star in each of Heupel's classes and we are NOT in the top 5 in recruiting in any poll the past 2 years as well. I would say Spyre needs to set it up.

The first big miss they had was Francis Mauigoa. We desperately needed great offensive linemen and he has already looked solid at Miami. We can't outbid the ACC?

This is the best article I've read about the subject.

Quote from article:

"The average starter at a big-time football program now takes in about $103,000 a year, according to Opendorse, a company that processes payments to the players for the collectives."
I know people are getting paid. They are all contracts between these collectives and individuals though and so other than the parties to those agreements themselves and the presumably the IRS and state tax officials, nobody really knows for sure. The fact that On3 calls that a "valuation" is them essentially admitting it's them assessing their market value, not actually knowing what they are getting paid.

College sports that I grew up with no longer exist. College football is no more than the NFL minor leagues.
What was it when you grew up? Seems it's always been the minor leagues but is now out in the open. No more hiding it in handshakes or McDonald's bags

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
College sports that I grew up with no longer exist. College football is no more than the NFL minor leagues.

Which is just what some folks wanted and dreamed of these past thirty years. They've always resented the concept. Tradition and being part of something at a school and participating in college life? Man, that stuff's for idiots. Who cares about it? Just shut up and play ball, baby. Soon they won't even need to be students. Just employees cashing checks. Such an inspiring thing to get behind.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
NIL is going to become more of a retention game more than acquirement. Texas A&M has showed us it doesn't really matter how much money you throw at 17-18 year old recruits. It's about evaluating those kids in the first year or two, and then those that you tap as the keys to your offense/defense? THAT'S where the NIL money is going to start going.

UofM may be a bad example since they come from a garbage conference, but they put more money towards retention. And it makes sense. When a kid has the option to go to the NFL, but you offer him $1 million more than his draft slot to stick around? That's how you're going to build experienced, mature teams ready to compete.

Reactions: posivol and njvols
It's not purely money, though it is with some recruits. Some of the established winning programs, like Bama, Ohio State and Georgia, while they play the NIL game, they don't sling the big money because they don't have to. All they have to do is be competitive and say, come here and we'll get you to the league and win you a championship, etc. It's most of the really desperate teams that are currently slinging around the most money: Miami, A&M, etc. Why would a prospect go there if not for money? It's all they've got. They haven't had a pulse recently. I feel like we are more in the middle, we play the NIL game too, but also Heupel is also trying to build a culture here and get his guys here character wise and pure mercenaries don't really fit that mold.
Agree...though I wouldn't mind renting a couple of lock down cornerbacks for a couple years, mercenaries or not...

It's not purely money, though it is with some recruits. Some of the established winning programs, like Bama, Ohio State and Georgia, while they play the NIL game, they don't sling the big money because they don't have to. All they have to do is be competitive and say, come here and we'll get you to the league and win you a championship, etc. It's most of the really desperate teams that are currently slinging around the most money: Miami, A&M, etc. Why would a prospect go there if not for money? It's all they've got. They haven't had a pulse recently. I feel like we are more in the middle, we play the NIL game too, but also Heupel is also trying to build a culture here and get his guys here character wise and pure mercenaries don't really fit that mold.

It still boils down to money though--just in between those established, winning programs. Last year UGA outbid Ohio State by at least $1 million just to get a kid to sign. OSU leaked their offer was something like $750k, and UGA gave the kid $1.5 million (numbers aren't exact, but the point is that UGA was ready to SPEND). Of course OSU's gripe was "how much is enough?" whining and crying because the combination of their rich history and money offered wasn't enough. Unfortunately for them, that's the state of the game right now.

Doesn't help that a couple of months later they won their second title, after beating OSU in the semi.

Man I hate Georgia.

VN Store

Back