This whole redshirt mentality needs to be gone

With the transfer portal and NIL, it's the Wild West. There's not any loyalty on players' part anymore. Most players transfer because of a lack of playing time too. So why the heck is the paradigm still that we should sit on generational talents and redshirt them as a default? It's outdated thinking. If Nico is a baller we should play him now! Who knows what his thought process might be in a year or two. And if he is not a baller we need to find that out too. If he is another Bailey or Guarantano we need to find that out and start making backup plans asap. Also, another argument against playing Nico has been his size and lack of physical development. That begs a lot of questions too because I have seen high school weight training programs here in Tennessee help kids add 30 or 40 pounds of muscle over a summer. That's not uncommon at all. So why isn't Nico more physically ready? He has been in the program almost a year now.

With the transfer portal and NIL, it's the Wild West. There's not any loyalty on players' part anymore. Most players transfer because of a lack of playing time too. So why the heck is the paradigm still that we should sit on generational talents and redshirt them as a default? It's outdated thinking. If Nico is a baller we should play him now! Who knows what his thought process might be in a year or two. And if he is not a baller we need to find that out too. If he is another Bailey or Guarantano we need to find that out and start making backup plans asap. Also, another argument against playing Nico has been his size and lack of physical development. That begs a lot of questions too because I have seen high school weight training programs here in Tennessee help kids add 30 or 40 pounds of muscle over a summer. That's not uncommon at all. So why isn't Nico more physically ready? He has been in the program almost a year now.
Not disagreeing with you, but maybe there were some promises made to him or his family. I have seen this mentioned.

I can see some changes to the redshirt rules in the future with transfer portal and NIL evolving.
Namely, doing away with the 4 game rule and dropping it to 2 games or play at all and the redshirt is burnt.
That would force players, families, and coaches to think more about redshirt strategy and 'promises' made during recruiting.

I have zero insider information to offer, but I will say this with all certainty… Things happen, especially injuries. Parents can change their minds, especially once they see how physical this league is.

If there was a plan to play Nico, it already would’ve happened. Joe is who we thought he was despite the preseason hype. Don’t think for a second that Josh hasn’t noticed.

The red shirt gives Nico an extra year of eligibility in the event that he needs it. It’s too late to start him in my opinion. There’s no way Milton is going to get benched on senior day. If we see Nico, it will be in mop up duty.

There could be a scenario where we see Joe sit the bowl game out to try and protect his draft status. Otherwise he will start that game too.

If Nico was unhappy about being redshirted, I think we would probably hear some rumblings of him transferring already. An extra year of eligibility helps Nico and the Vols

Oh good grief. You people. There was a plan for Nico when he signed and they're working that plan. YOU don't have to see him in a game in order for the coaches to determine if he's a "baller" or not. Games are NOT so the coaches can prove how good players are... to you so YOU can decide when or if they're ready to play. The kind of "thinking" behind your post has NEVER been in date.

I believe I am correct in saying that Nico is 25-30 lbs heavier than when he arrived last year. That is a reasonable rate of gain... and he NEEDED the gain before playing.

I don't know, OP. There are still like four variables involved: getting to the NFL, getting a degree (or even a master's degree), playing for the university you love, and being with your mates.

We tend to think getting to the NFL is the sine qua non for every player. But it's not. Not always. Those other three things count, too. Sometimes one or more of them count just as much as the NFL payday. Sometimes even more.

We simply can't judge every player as if they're all the 'typical player.' And, anyway, what do we even really know about what's "typical"?

So, no, I don't necessarily agree. A redshirt gets more time with your buds. A redshirt gives you more time for education (read: master's degree or two). A redshirt keeps you one year longer at the place you always dreamed of playing while growing up, maybe.

There are still going to be plenty of players for whom a redshirt year has value.

Go Vols!

The problem with doing away with the redshirt rule is that it penalizes ALL players. In reality it is that elite group that believe they have a chance in the NFL that are subject to moving around to find a place that maximizes their stats that will bail and jump ship. Many players will stay put and the redshirt gives them an opportunity to maximize their time on the field while also extending their time at college to obtain a degree.

And as for the loyalty - if a player is not loyal to the team that they signed up to be a part of, not really sure we need that player on the team. Just my opinion.

Football is a team sport and there is no "I" in team. There is also no guarantee there will be a spot at the place a player transfers to. Most players transfer to never be heard of again.

Not disagreeing with you, but maybe there were some promises made to him or his family. I have seen this mentioned.
Yes somebody spouted something as fact and the board ran with it. Just like the guy that said the realtor in Tuscaloosa was the ref in our game lol. CJH has said there was no plans to redshirt him till the Austin peay game happened then he decided to redshirt. Still can't find the angle that made him decide that at that particular moment.

Reactions: 08Vol and Doberman
I have zero insider information to offer, but I will say this with all certainty… Things happen, especially injuries. Parents can change their minds, especially once they see how physical this league is.

If there was a plan to play Nico, it already would’ve happened. Joe is who we thought he was despite the preseason hype. Don’t think for a second that Josh hasn’t noticed.

The red shirt gives Nico an extra year of eligibility in the event that he needs it. It’s too late to start him in my opinion. There’s no way Milton is going to get benched on senior day. If we see Nico, it will be in mop up duty.

There could be a scenario where we see Joe sit the bowl game out to try and protect his draft status. Otherwise he will start that game too.

If Nico was unhappy about being redshirted, I think we would probably hear some rumblings of him transferring already. An extra year of eligibility helps Nico and the Vols
I agree...if Nico was about to hit the portal, if his skills are as advertised, then he'd have, for sure, been on the field.

Something makes me think he was all along OK w/ RS to learn and grow physically and mentally. I don't know that Nico would have given us a better record than where we are, but he could have been, in theory, like Peyton, who struggled a bit his frosh year before all of the lights turned on for him. If JH had buy in from Nico, and he thought Milton would be tolerable, then he has to maximize Nico's three years, and a "throw away" frosh year probably wouldn't give us the trajectory we'd like???

Reactions: 08Vol
We should definitely put your happiness and enjoyment above that of the student athletes and their families. Talk about entitled....get over yourself.

I don't know, OP. There are still like four variables involved: getting to the NFL, getting a degree (or even a master's degree), playing for the university you love, and being with your mates.

We tend to think getting to the NFL is the sine qua non for every player. But it's not. Not always. Those other three things count, too. Sometimes one or more of them count just as much as the NFL payday. Sometimes even more.

We simply can't judge every player as if they're all the 'typical player.' And, anyway, what do we even really know about what's "typical"?

So, no, I don't necessarily agree. A redshirt gets more time with your buds. A redshirt gives you more time for education (read: master's degree or two). A redshirt keeps you one year longer at the place you always dreamed of playing while growing up, maybe.

There are still going to be plenty of players for whom a redshirt year has value.

Go Vols!
Good point. With all the brain injuries in the NFL some may be hesitant.

If a kid can secure $8 million in NIL money, invest wisely, and get a degree, the future would be wide open. I can't imagine being able to start off my life after college with that kind of plan.

FWIW, Nico may have accelerated his route to the NFL by NOT playing too early. If he had played this year and struggled or gotten injured then it might have taken the rest of his eligibility to prove himself. He's probably going to be a Vol for a couple more years then go to the NFL. The recruiting behind him starting with Merklinger is critical.

Go Vols!

A redshirt gives him more options. At this point, it is 100% in his interest to redshirt.

If he is good enough and wants to, he can still turn pro after two more years. If not, then he has extra time to get better or enjoy the college experience. In any event, he still holds all the cards…and this gives him a wild card to play as he chooses.

I've not seen that. What were the promises? I thought it was stated early in the season that he would not redshirt.
I doubt anyone knows. I do know for a fact that one of the reasons Manning went to Texas was that they made assurances Arch wouldn't start this year unless they had no other option. Archie said so in an interview. Family thought it important that he sat and learned like Eli did. Wouldn't shock me if this was true with Nico. He's making millions now. Why risk it? Get him the most prepared they can.

Nothing short of a handwritten apology from Heupel will satisfy me at this point for subjecting us to Milton all season.

Seriously, the sense of entitlement among some posters on here is laughable.

I dont disagree with the overall sentiment from the OP that it's a different day and age in the game compared to everyone sitting a year and getting the conditioning and experience before starting.

That being said, if there are 2 positions where development and experience are paramount in the game , it's QB and OL.

Personally gonna leave it to Heupel to do what he sees fit when it comes to QB development. Probably knows a little more about it than me.

He has earned that rope and hasn't displayed the sheer incompetence we saw in the last 3 coaches that have come through here. Think a lot of folk are still scarred from the Dooley/Lyle/Cornbread trifecta.

I would prefer all incoming athletes must redshirt, ineligible. Go to class and become a student.
One time transfer outside of the conference , after a redshirt season.
Family/ medical transfer would be an exception but must sit that year as well.
NIL money...okay mister hot shot is worth a million or so. Let's do an 80/20 rule on that NIL . 80 for hotshot 20 spilt equality among the rest of the team.

Reactions: VollerNbham
Red Shirts help O-line & D-Line Freshman get up to size and shape and are critical in that process. 17–18-year-olds are still growing and lining them up against a Red-Shirted/COVID Year - Full Grown Damn man of 22-24 is a BIG disadvantage.

Oh good grief. You people. There was a plan for Nico when he signed and they're working that plan. YOU don't have to see him in a game in order for the coaches to determine if he's a "baller" or not. Games are NOT so the coaches can prove how good players are... to you so YOU can decide when or if they're ready to play. The kind of "thinking" behind your post has NEVER been in date.

I believe I am correct in saying that Nico is 25-30 lbs heavier than when he arrived last year. That is a reasonable rate of gain... and he NEEDED the gain before playing.
It has nothing to do with proving anything to fans. It's about finding out how the guy performs in a real game that is meaningful. You flat out don't know what we have in Nico until he starts against SEC or comparable competition. Do you remember Josh Dobbs? He was buried on the depth chart and wouldn't have ever gotten to play if injuries didn't force him into action and we found out he was a baller despite not being a good practicer. So many guys are like that. Then we have guys that look great in practice and suck in a game. Coaches find this stuff out by playing guys.

Reactions: Doberman and KHVol
The problem with doing away with the redshirt rule is that it penalizes ALL players. In reality it is that elite group that believe they have a chance in the NFL that are subject to moving around to find a place that maximizes their stats that will bail and jump ship. Many players will stay put and the redshirt gives them an opportunity to maximize their time on the field while also extending their time at college to obtain a degree.
Very true, most players aren’t going to the nfl. Many folks still use redshirt years, it is never going away. There will always be players that use redshirt years. GBO

I'm in the process of checking on the top 2023 signees across football. So far, it looks as if the redshirt is still a major tool that coaches use. Also, the majority that do not redshirt appear to not play meaningful snaps. I will share once I complete the analysis which will be after the final regular season games this weekend.

so far, its looking like 26 of the top 30 QBs will be redshirted this year.

It has nothing to do with proving anything to fans. It's about finding out how the guy performs in a real game that is meaningful. You flat out don't know what we have in Nico until he starts against SEC or comparable competition. Do you remember Josh Dobbs? He was buried on the depth chart and wouldn't have ever gotten to play if injuries didn't force him into action and we found out he was a baller despite not being a good practicer. So many guys are like that. Then we have guys that look great in practice and suck in a game. Coaches find this stuff out by playing guys.
I'll defer to the coaches. They've seen read and respond in his few games. They know when competition level rises how he might look based on his game management against lesser opponents. Game played the same. Talent level increases. So I'm confident they know what they're doing. Like an earlier poster said, "I'll leave it them as they may know a lil more than me." BIG DUH! Is that really a hard buy in for you? Do you feel that the coaches are hiding something from you?

VN Store

Back