This whole redshirt mentality needs to be gone

I think each player and situation is unique and the relationship between that player and their coach(es) is unique. I don't think that any of us as fans are privy to the nature of that relationship. The redshirt rule is still helpful to a lot of student athletes and I don't think that it should be abolished because players want to transfer.

This whole "loyalty to your school" argument against transferring is a crock used by fans who are butthurt about a good player leaving their favorite team. Any student can leave any college they are enrolled in and transfer their credits to any other school they choose, primarily because it's a better situation for them. Why should student athletes be treated any different? Because they play a sport that you like to watch for a school you went to or follow? No.

"It's the Wild West!" Give me a break.

Even in pro sports, if Joe Burrow does a commercial (NIL,) his teammates don't get 20% of his pay. That's pure BS.

And once college ball is legally a pro sport, your JV idea goes away. Players, as employees, won't be attending classes at the school they work for. Do the guys who runs the power facilities at UT have to attend classes to keep their jobs? No, and neither will the professional TN Vol athletes.

Blaming the players for the state of college football is BS. All they did was grow up in this era and this is what the game is now. They didn't create this huge business that college football is. We did. My generation wanted every game on TV, wanted championships and would pay coaches millions and build pro facilities to attract recruits, wanted the largest stadiums in the country to play ball in, etc, etc.

All the kids did was be born in 2000 or so. It's not on them. It's us.
Your generation, there it is.

With the transfer portal and NIL, it's the Wild West. There's not any loyalty on players' part anymore. Most players transfer because of a lack of playing time too. So why the heck is the paradigm still that we should sit on generational talents and redshirt them as a default? It's outdated thinking. If Nico is a baller we should play him now! Who knows what his thought process might be in a year or two. And if he is not a baller we need to find that out too. If he is another Bailey or Guarantano we need to find that out and start making backup plans asap. Also, another argument against playing Nico has been his size and lack of physical development. That begs a lot of questions too because I have seen high school weight training programs here in Tennessee help kids add 30 or 40 pounds of muscle over a summer. That's not uncommon at all. So why isn't Nico more physically ready? He has been in the program almost a year now.
30-40 pounds in one summer, including the one week TSSAA dead period? Name them.

For some comparison, Bama juggled 3 different qb's at the start of the year, until they settled on Milroe. Why did Bama experiment with 3 different QB's? Because they were struggling at that position. Milroe won the starting job and has gotten better each game. So Tenn struggles at QB and we can't experiment or try anyone else at that spot for the worn out reasons= 1) Loyalty to JM 2) Nico is still too thin?, too young? too inexperienced ?, and the redshirt debate. We see the result but we will never know what might have been with healthy competition
Bama also had a gang of 5 stars and future NFL stars playing with those 3 QB's. There are only 2-3 schools that could experiment like that without punting on the season.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
I've not seen that. What were the promises? I thought it was stated early in the season that he would not redshirt.
Show us where and who said this. Nico’s future is his and his alone. Nobody on here knows what their plans have been.
With the transfer portal and NIL, it's the Wild West. There's not any loyalty on players' part anymore. Most players transfer because of a lack of playing time too. So why the heck is the paradigm still that we should sit on generational talents and redshirt them as a default? It's outdated thinking. If Nico is a baller we should play him now! Who knows what his thought process might be in a year or two. And if he is not a baller we need to find that out too. If he is another Bailey or Guarantano we need to find that out and start making backup plans asap. Also, another argument against playing Nico has been his size and lack of physical development. That begs a lot of questions too because I have seen high school weight training programs here in Tennessee help kids add 30 or 40 pounds of muscle over a summer. That's not uncommon at all. So why isn't Nico more physically ready? He has been in the program almost a year now.
If you have seen a HS kid add 30 to 40 lbs of muscle in a year you need to report it. Steroids are killers!!
Nico doesn’t owe you or anyone on here an explanation to why his redshirting.

I have zero insider information to offer, but I will say this with all certainty… Things happen, especially injuries. Parents can change their minds, especially once they see how physical this league is.

If there was a plan to play Nico, it already would’ve happened. Joe is who we thought he was despite the preseason hype. Don’t think for a second that Josh hasn’t noticed.

The red shirt gives Nico an extra year of eligibility in the event that he needs it. It’s too late to start him in my opinion. There’s no way Milton is going to get benched on senior day. If we see Nico, it will be in mop up duty.

There could be a scenario where we see Joe sit the bowl game out to try and protect his draft status. Otherwise he will start that game too.

If Nico was unhappy about being redshirted, I think we would probably hear some rumblings of him transferring already. An extra year of eligibility helps Nico and the Vols

Put yourself in Nico's shoes:

Young stud on campus.

Never made more money than he is now making.

Life is good, so why rock the boat?

It's probably the right thing for Nico to put on some weight and continue to learn the plays for a few extra months and then play a full career at UT, THEN enter the draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: VOLfrombama
Show us where and who said this. Nico’s future is his and his alone. Nobody on here knows what their plans have been.

If you have seen a HS kid add 30 to 40 lbs of muscle in a year you need to report it. Steroids are killers!!

The head coach.

Oh good grief. You people. There was a plan for Nico when he signed and they're working that plan. YOU don't have to see him in a game in order for the coaches to determine if he's a "baller" or not. Games are NOT so the coaches can prove how good players are... to you so YOU can decide when or if they're ready to play. The kind of "thinking" behind your post has NEVER been in date.

I believe I am correct in saying that Nico is 25-30 lbs heavier than when he arrived last year. That is a reasonable rate of gain... and he NEEDED the gain before playing.
Amen. Some of you think you're entitled to certain things and you're not.
And if one more poster who has never seen Nico play besides against Uva and UConn demands he starts and/or is the 2nd coming of Jesus I'm going to add you to my ignore list. It's obnoxious, it's tired amd you sound dumb. He is not being held out because of conspiracy. He is being held out because of strategic decisions by a coaching staff that actually want the best for him and the team.

Reactions: sjt18
Red Shirts help O-line & D-Line Freshman get up to size and shape and are critical in that process. 17–18-year-olds are still growing and lining them up against a Red-Shirted/COVID Year - Full Grown Damn man of 22-24 is a BIG disadvantage.
see arion carter

see arion carter
5* Freak of Nature Body that ANY Recruiter would LOVE to see MOST recruits arriving on campus possess...unfortunately...they only do at Bama, UGA, Ohio State on a regular basis...the rest just hope to snag one or two...

Oh...and Linebacker MUCH different than D-Tackle/O-Guard

Reactions: posivol
This redshirt talk makes an OG smile. Brings to mind another young star QB who was forced to watch because of a RS rule in place for all freshmen. I wouldn't mind seeing it become a rule again. We could reinvest in a JV program again and players were on campus for 4 years. Ah the good ol' days!

Reactions: Zues1
I think we should have burned Nico this year, then redshirted him his sophomore year. What the heck are our coaches thinking?

Last edited:
This redshirt talk makes an OG smile. Brings to mind another young star QB who was forced to watch because of a RS rule in place for all freshmen. I wouldn't mind seeing it become a rule again. We could reinvest in a JV program again and players were on campus for 4 years. Ah the good ol' days!
Back when you couldn’t enter the draft until after your fourth year on campus. That ain’t coming back.

Umm….sarcasm?I

Of course not. We came into the season ranked in the Top 10. If we'd started Nico, we'd surely be playing for the championship already. Then Merklinger can take over next year, he's going to be even better.

This is all so obvious, I just don't understand our coaching staff sometimes.

VN Store

Back