Heupel Doubts or No?

T-for-Tennessee

Has the regression this season caused you to have any doubts about Heupel and his future? In my case, the answer is yes, sort of. I did not think we would see 3 disheartening losses in year 3 of this staff but here we are. I am NOT calling for Heupel's head but I wonder if I'm alone in hearing a little voice in my head that says "this may not be what we thought it was going to be." I hope I'm wrong but I have some experience with the little voice. I have learned to not ignore it.

Last edited:
I’m concerned about his loyalty to lesser talented players. Nobody can look back on this season and watch every game and say Milton was the best we had. I appreciate every player that chooses to wear the orange and white, but not all can/should be starters. We happened to witness that this year at the most important position on the field.

Nope. I think this is the floor of what a Huepel led team is with subpar QB play. Fortunately for us, this is the worst any QB has performed in an Huepel offense and I don't think it has anything to do with Huepel and everything to do with the limitations we have at QB.

Has the regression this season caused you to have any doubts about Heupel and his future? In my case, the answer is yes, sort of. I did not think we would see 3 disheartening losses in year 3 of this staff but here we are. I am NOT calling for Heupel's head but I wonder if I'm alone in hearing a little voice in my head that says "this may not be what we thought it was going to be." I hope I'm wrong but I have some experience with the little voice. I have learned to not ingore it.

I have no doubts that he can call a good offense when he has a top tier QB.

I have serious doubts that he can successfully run an SEC program.

I’m concerned about his loyalty to lesser talented players. Nobody can look back on this season and watch every game and say Milton was the best we had. I appreciate every player that chooses to wear the orange and white, but not all can/should be starters. We happened to witness that this year at the most important position on the field.
Perfectly well said. This is business. How the hell do you stick with Milton when the result was already decided?!? We knew we weren’t going to any major bowl game with Milton—WHY WOULD YOU NOT LET US LOSE WITH A FRESHMAN SO WE COULD BE HOPEFUL FOR THE FUTURE AT LEAST?!?? It’s so incredibly….stupid and illogical.

0 second half points in our biggest 3 games down the stretch. Yeah, I have doubts.

But when you consider the circumstances, the overall record is what we thought it’d be. Would like to have been more competitive but we lacked depth going into the season and we’ve been decimated with injuries. I wish Heupel had a magic wand but unfortunately he does not.

Last edited:
No.
He is going to have to shake up some position coaches or get in somebody’s arse, though.
Hopefully, the team will rally and finish strong, and then those who can will come back to improve draft stock.
I think he will do well. Comparing what he walked into to what Smart, Saban, and Napier walked into is neither fair nor accurate. It will take some time to recruit on their level consistently, but with the tradition of UT and NIL opportunities, I believe it can be done.
Last thing we need is another coaching shakeup

Im beginning to wonder if the SEC defensive coordinators have figured out how to defend Josh's offense along with not having good quarterback play. We definitely need an upgrade at Defensive Coordinator ourselves.

Reactions: Alto1 and Jdw2920
Nope. I think this is the floor of what a Huepel led team is with subpar QB play. Fortunately for us, this is the worst any QB has performed in an Huepel offense and I don't think it has anything to do with Huepel and everything to do with the limitations we have at QB.
Mostly this but his lack of aggressiveness and not finding a way to get Telander in 90% of the time over Herring has me incredibly confused.

Has the regression this season caused you to have any doubts about Heupel and his future? In my case, the answer is yes, sort of. I did not think we would see 3 disheartening losses in year 3 of this staff but here we are. I am NOT calling for Heupel's head but I wonder if I'm alone in hearing a little voice in my head that says "this may not be what we thought it was going to be." I hope I'm wrong but I have some experience with the little voice. I have learned to not ingore it.
No

I don't have any doubts. We knew Milton wants as good as Hooker.

We knew JH wasn't going to risk Nico as long as JM3 could play.

Next year will be far more decisive.

Im beginning to wonder if the SEC defensive coordinators have figured out how to defend Josh's offense along with not having good quarterback play. We definitely need an upgrade at Defensive Coordinator ourselves.
I’m optimistic that Milton was incapable of executive Heupel’s lffense….but…what the hell…would be the reason of keeping a guy in that is incapable of running your offense…

My biggest concern is his lack of acknowledgment of a problem. Milton is a problem and he has been steadfast to a fault in standing behind him. If he refuses to correct a problem or do anything to rectify it, then what does the future hold?

I love his system. I love what he’s done for the program. But my issue is he refuses to make changes or acknowledge that the QB play is bringing the team to its knees. That’s not to say we don’t have other issues, but it’s the most obvious and readily noticeable issue on the field.

I'm not giving up on him but yeah the doubts have set in due to team not fighting to win, giving up when they get behind, bad play calling on 3rd and short, no creativity especially in the red zone, no adjustments by the secondary getting gashed by the same play over and over, choosing Milton as the starter before practice started, and playing scared with a small lead allowing the other team to gain momentum and get ahead. Oh, and poor clock management. I like him and hope he gets back on track with a better qb next year.

Yes. We are not even competitive against good teams. CJP is showing signs of Butch and Pruitt stubbornness, no adjustments made, no improvement and insisting on his offensive system regardless of personnel. All of the goodness from last year had been cancelled out this year. And please don’t tell me I need to be patient, I think 20 years of patience is enough. It’s time to get the job done. I’ve pretty much lost interest in this Football season. Time to move on to basketball.

VN Store

Back