Harrison Bailey

If Milton plays as he has so far this season, it’s not the case. You keep touting this 5-1 when we both know the truth is we haven’t played good teams yet. We lost to a bad Florida and kept games close that should’ve been blowouts. Sugarcoat it if you’d like but Joe holds this team back. No one expects hooker, but I’m not real excited about having the worst QB in the SEC either.
Have I said Joe's great? Have I said he's as good as Hooker?

I've said: our coaching staff says that Nico can't execute the offense any better than Joe.

I trust that if he could, if Nico ACTUALLY gave us a better chance to win against FL, he'd have played.

There's not a "conspiracy" among our coaches to play ANY player they think isn't the best available player at that position. They're not damaging their own multi-million dollar a year job by losing because "they just want to play that guy."

This isn't middle school or little league where the coach's kid plays no matter what. This is big-time, cutthroat, SEC football. Milton is playing because Heupel and the staff believe he's the best QB we have at this point.

Have I said Joe's great? Have I said he's as good as Hooker?

I've said: our coaching staff says that Nico can't execute the offense any better than Joe.

I trust that if he could, if Nico ACTUALLY gave us a better chance to win against FL, he'd have played.

There's not a "conspiracy" among our coaches to play ANY player they think isn't the best available player at that position. They're not damaging their own multi-million dollar a year job by losing because "they just want to play that guy."

This isn't middle school or little league where the coach's kid plays no matter what. This is big-time, cutthroat, SEC football. Milton is playing because Heupel and the staff believe he's the best QB we have at this point.
You keep on with this story about nico. You’ve never seen me say throw nico in. I’m just tired of people like you telling me Joe is a good QB. He’s not. He doesn’t make good decisions. He hasn’t shown he can be consistent. He holds this team back. It just is what it is.

You keep on with this story about nico. You’ve never seen me say throw nico in. I’m just tired of people like you telling me Joe is a good QB. He’s not. He doesn’t make good decisions. He hasn’t shown he can be consistent. He holds this team back. It just is what it is.
In my previous message and in my messages about this I've said exactly what the coaches have said: no one else on the team can do any better than Joe Milton.

I've said I think he's near his ceiling as a QB. He's not going to put the team on his back like Hooker did.

He's good enough that we're 5-1 this year. He's not actually lost us games.

I see zero reason to say: "our QB sucks at TN" on Volnation.

Perhaps you do feel that helps. You do you.

I'll modify to Milton is doing acceptable work.

Other than the incredibly bad interception, I've not seen plays that would lead me to react like some here.... "He's going to lose games for us."

I believe Milton is playing to the level of his ability with the playbook he's being given. I don't think his decision making is going to improve much beyond what we're seeing now. His execution, primarily his passing, might improve some and he might, but I doubt it, start believing more in his ability to run. I'm not expecting a "next gear" to kick in.

As for play designs that don't fit his ability, that's on the coaches, primarily Heupel, to fix.
He's just late with his reads. JG was much worse but it is a similar thing. And he doesn't do a good job of anticipating and lead guys open.

Hooker's anticipation was exceptional.

Odd place for this conversation, but here is a question I have not seen asked. Was the Tamu game Joe's worst game? It was the worst of this season,for sure and I would say last season. Going all the way back to the first two games of 2021, I would say its his worst game at UT.

If that's the case,the second question is, can he and will he play better against bammer?

And if so, will that be enough?

I'm willing to give it a shot. Throwing NIco into that pressure cooker doesn't make any sense.

If come Saturday, Joe is completely inept and we are down 2-3 scores, I have no problem with Nico getting a shot.

Reactions: UTwild82
He's just late with his reads. JG was much worse but it is a similar thing. And he doesn't do a good job of anticipating and lead guys open.

Hooker's anticipation was exceptional.
Also strangely not present in the game at bad times. Like two different 4th down attempts, one vs. Tamu and another vs. UF, in which he was very slow getting the snap off, rushed it, and the offense just imploded. Or ducking out of bounds a yard away from the first down marker. Or other examples...

Reactions: sjt18
Heupel did start Milton over Hooker. That said I’m sure Milton looks fantastic in practice. His physical tools are impressive. Some guys play better in game. Just saying sometimes even the coaches have to figure it out.

Hell Saban had Kamara benched to the point he transferred.
Hooker wasn’t good in preseason. Coaches couldn’t get him to throw downfield. He was too afraid of making a mistake so he constantly checked down. When they finally got him to trust the offense and his own ability, he exploded. That’s why Hooker didn’t start until Milton got hurt against Pitt.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Odd place for this conversation, but here is a question I have not seen asked. Was the Tamu game Joe's worst game? It was the worst of this season,for sure and I would say last season. Going all the way back to the first two games of 2021, I would say its his worst game at UT.

If that's the case,the second question is, can he and will he play better against bammer?

I'm willing to give it a shot. Throwing NIco into that pressure cooker doesn't make any sense.

If come Saturday, Joe is completely inept and we are down 2-3 scores, I have no problem with Nico getting a shot.
Yes. That was Joe’s worst game as a Vol. I’m not sure it’s close.

Reactions: pimo1

If we are down 2 or 3 TDs no problem with putting Nico in this wouldn't hurt his psyche if he stumbles being game already decided. Cant remember the details but Dobbs got in for clean up in a Bama game and did pretty good when he was freshman or he may have been a Sophomore. These ppl calling for Nico to start on road like they talked Butch into starting 4Star Peterman at the Swamp is insane. That ruined Peterman he had to transfer for rehab at Pitt but did finally make it to the NFL.
To answer your ? Joes worst game so far IMO was TAMU but if some of those drops are caught the whole complexion of that game changes and he may have not made some of those bad decision because they may have not came up due to receiver catching passes and being in different down & distance, will never know but it may be good that he made those mistakes and we still won, he may make the correct decision next time like going all out for the 1st down instead of running out of bounds. He is our starter until we are out of the running for SEC east IMO. I really think they'll play Nico vs Vandy & UCONN and save his RS, I have a feeling he is not as good as touted from some of the ramblings I've heard from PPL who've seen some practices.

If you go down that route, you have no one who is a real SEC QB to bring in if Nico really sucks. Joe will be devastated as you would be.

Nico is not physically prepared to take a lot of big SEC hits. I saw they'd put 15lbs on him, maybe 20 by now, but the man isn't ready to be a durable runner in the SEC yet.

Joe isn't a power runner but he is a full grown man. He obviously doesn't like contact but he can take and deliver big hits.

I keep hearing Milton isn't getting it done. We're winning. It's not always the QBs job to pick the entire team up and carry them. Yes, Hendon Hooker DID that at times but it's not given that a QB must be able to do that. Most QBs can't and I SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY DOUBT Nico can either at this point in his career.

You can't assume Nico is a "huge leap" ahead from Joe without DIRECTLY implying you don't trust Josh Heupel's eye for QBs. I do. And for good reason. His history with QBs goes back well beyond Hooker and Milton.
I'm not saying that Nico is any better, but to act like Joe is getting it done currently is just being a homer, Imo. We have not won one game this year because of Joe and if were being honest with ourselves the running game and defense is why we have been winning this year. They won Saturday in spite of Joe making poor decisions taking points off the board. It is the 2nd game in a row where he hasn't seen the middle safety and threw it right to him. One led to points for USCjr, one took points off the board for UT against A&M. Honestly, I'm not sure UT wins Saturday if they don't get that punt return TD. They go to OT, I don't trust Joe to bring it home.

Another thing that I have observed is he seems scared of contact with the exception of 1 run Saturday. I don't know if that is the case or if he doesn't have a high football IQ or what. An example, I believe it was the first or 2nd drive of the game. He got a defensive lineman to jump offsides on 3rd down rolled out to the right then ran out of bounds 2-3 yards before the marker without being forced to. He had someone trailing him but he could've easily cut it up and leaned. Boom, first down. Instead, replay 3rd down, fail to pick it up, and punt. In fact, the only time Saturday he ran with a purpose he ran someone over.

I hope he does improve, and I hope he balls out the rest of the season. I don't have confidence that will happen, but I hope it does. He has all the physical gifts you could ask for in a QB, he needs to put it together sooner rather than later. This week on the road would be a start.

Reactions: TNStudMuffin
Some Texas A&M clips: Couple of nice passes and some ugly stuff too. I don't know what to think of HB. He was a Freshman being "developed" by a horrible staff.

I watched this clip because obviously I don't remember specific games from 2020. There were certainly a few plays where he held onto the ball too long... but he also consistently made accurate throws on passes that are expected of a QB in CFB. That pass to the wide open TE running the wheel route down the sideline was in a very good spot. He also placed the ball in good spots on both out routes. If I wasn't a TN fan and someone showed me that video and Milton's recent attempt at TAMU, then there'd be no doubt to me who looked the better of the two.

I'm not saying that Nico is any better, but to act like Joe is getting it done currently is just being a homer, Imo. We have not won one game this year because of Joe and if were being honest with ourselves the running game and defense is why we have been winning this year. They won Saturday in spite of Joe making poor decisions taking points off the board. It is the 2nd game in a row where he hasn't seen the middle safety and threw it right to him. One led to points for USCjr, one took points off the board for UT against A&M. Honestly, I'm not sure UT wins Saturday if they don't get that punt return TD. They go to OT, I don't trust Joe to bring it home.

Another thing that I have observed is he seems scared of contact with the exception of 1 run Saturday. I don't know if that is the case or if he doesn't have a high football IQ or what. An example, I believe it was the first or 2nd drive of the game. He got a defensive lineman to jump offsides on 3rd down rolled out to the right then ran out of bounds 2-3 yards before the marker without being forced to. He had someone trailing him but he could've easily cut it up and leaned. Boom, first down. Instead, replay 3rd down, fail to pick it up, and punt. In fact, the only time Saturday he ran with a purpose he ran someone over.

I hope he does improve, and I hope he balls out the rest of the season. I don't have confidence that will happen, but I hope it does. He has all the physical gifts you could ask for in a QB, he needs to put it together sooner rather than later. This week on the road would be a start.
I've said the truth. We've lost exactly 1 game this year with Joe as QB. I've said he's not Hooker, he's not going to carry the team to a win like Hooker did at times. He's not losing games for us.

What exactly IS "getting it done" if you're winning football games?

If we are down 2 or 3 TDs no problem with putting Nico in this wouldn't hurt his psyche if he stumbles being game already decided. Cant remember the details but Dobbs got in for clean up in a Bama game and did pretty good when he was freshman or he may have been a Sophomore. These ppl calling for Nico to start on road like they talked Butch into starting 4Star Peterman at the Swamp is insane. That ruined Peterman he had to transfer for rehab at Pitt but did finally make it to the NFL.
To answer your ? Joes worst game so far IMO was TAMU but if some of those drops are caught the whole complexion of that game changes and he may have not made some of those bad decision because they may have not came up due to receiver catching passes and being in different down & distance, will never know but it may be good that he made those mistakes and we still won, he may make the correct decision next time like going all out for the 1st down instead of running out of bounds. He is our starter until we are out of the running for SEC east IMO. I really think they'll play Nico vs Vandy & UCONN and save his RS, I have a feeling he is not as good as touted from some of the ramblings I've heard from PPL who've seen some practices.
Great points, especially about Peterman.

If I recall correctly, Dobbs entered the game in 2014 and was a sophomore. I was at that game, and he actually made it a respectable loss. He started from then on, and the rest as they say is history.

Reactions: KTrain
I've said the truth. We've lost exactly 1 game this year with Joe as QB. I've said he's not Hooker, he's not going to carry the team to a win like Hooker did at times. He's not losing games for us.

We have lost 1 game with him so far this year due to the schedule not because he’s been good. Combined the 5 D1 (didn’t include Austin Peay even though he struggled badly in that game) played so far this season have 15 wins. Out of the next 6 games, 3 of the teams have only 1 loss or less. It’s about to get much tougher and the only 2 teams with a good defense he threw for 100 yards and had a critical interception. The other game, they lost. If he doesn’t improve, more losses will be coming. The defense and running game can’t continue to carry Joe and go 6-0 over the last half of the season. He needs to improve. If you can’t see that, that’s on you.

We have lost 1 game with him so far this year due to the schedule not because he’s been good. Combined the 5 D1 (didn’t include Austin Peay even though he struggled badly in that game) played so far this season have 15 wins. Out of the next 6 games, 3 of the teams have only 1 loss or less. It’s about to get much tougher and the only 2 teams with a good defense he threw for 100 yards and had a critical interception. The other game, they lost. If he doesn’t improve, more losses will be coming. The defense and running game can’t continue to carry Joe and go 6-0 over the last half of the season. He needs to improve. If you can’t see that, that’s on you.
I never said Joe was great. He's average to below average for the SEC. Honestly, I don't think improvement in available. After 5 years, I think he's at or near his ceiling as a QB in this current playset. I can assure you no one WANTS Joe to do better than Joe, Heupel, and Halzle.

If you thought we were going 11-1 this year, you weren't realistic. It's a 8-4, I picked 9-3, team. That's reality. I think the loss of Pili and Bru drop us to 8-4.

My point is: Joe isn't going to lead this team like Hooker did. It's not happening. This year we have a functional, not spectacular, offense that needs to run well to win. Our passing game isn't going to help us much.

Trying to browbeat this team into the 2022 Vols isn't going to work. Trying to browbeat Joe into Hendon isn't going to work.

I've come to accept that Heupel has modified the tempo, the calls, and offense to the players he has rather than attempt to do the same thing he did with different players last year. In the long run, that's an excellent job of coaching. In the short run, I miss the excitement of last year.

My take on this is that "Getting it done" to some is not about winning but about a player being a "stat" leader in the SEC and nation.

I'll take the wins because that is what "getting it done" to me is.

The purpose of a team is to support each other - when someone is having a bad day, other aspects of the team step up. Defense was lights out last Saturday. If they play that way for the remaining 6 games, we have a chance to win those games. Offense makes the game exciting, but I have always believed that you win the game with the defense. If the defense is bad, it is a track meet not a football game.

Last edited:
My take on this is that "Getting it done" to some is not about winning but about a player being a "stat" leader in the SEC and nation.

I'll take the wins because that is what "getting it done" to me is.

The purpose of a team is to support each other - when someone is having a bad day, other aspects of the team step up. Defense was lights out last Saturday. If they play that way for the remaining 6 games, we have a chance to win those games. Offense makes the game exciting, but I have always believed that you win the game with the defense. If the defense is bad, it is a track meet not a football game.
I'm not sure what needs to "get done" if we're winning. Do I think Joe's level of play against aTm will lead to wins on its own? I don't. Our defense and our RB group will have to carry us if he plays like that.

What I object to is people who seem to want to insist that Joe Milton has to play at Hendon Hooker levels or he's failed. The same people want to say, correctly, that Hooker was special. He was. Everyone isn't special or special isn't special, it's normal.

Beating on Joe on VN may make people feel better but it won't cause Hooker's ability to magically jump into Milton's body.

Joe Milton is 5-1 as QB and one of the Captains of the 2023 Vols. I wish him continued success and hope he realizes, unlike some here, that he doesn't have to be the "second coming of Hendon Hooker" for UT to win a lot of games.

Nothing on Milton...you can't wave a wand and make him better. What concerns me to some extent is this is year 3 for Heupel and we don't have a QB better than Milton. With Heupel's system we should never be short on very good QBs and have better receivers than we do now...and that should never happen, IMO.

If Heupel took the easy 3 when it was 7-0 then we do win even without the punt return. I like he has the balls to roll the dice but this team isn’t as explosive as last year’s team so when we get chances for FGs we generally should take them. Not always of course but taking the 3 should be the default.

Reactions: volsrock09
I thought it was very entertaining to see how little our quarterback experts on volnation actually knew. The 14 page thread lasted a week! Hooker tore it up and the arguments for HB became moot.

The one guy that tried to insert a little logic was hammered by the negavol qb coaches. :p

The morale of this story is 'stay in your lane'......:cool:

Didn't expect this alert this morning in my inbox. What a wild ride that week was. 2 weeks into Heupel's tenure and HB fans were shredding the program claiming they hoped HB would come back to destroy TN. Now we are 18-3 on our last 21 games with wins over Saban and Dabo. A NY6 bowl win. I guess a little trust and patience was needed then.

The funny thing is I would repeat literally everything again today in regards to Milton and where we are. I trust Heupel and staff to make the best decision they believe in.

Milton once again hasn't been as bad as some fans make him out to be, but he definitely needs to play way better and I just don't think he's going to change who he is. So we will have to live with mediocre to slightly above average QB play and a good run game/D to win games. Nico will get his shot when the staff thinks the time is appropriate. In Heupel we trust!

Didn't expect this alert this morning in my inbox. What a wild ride that week was. 2 weeks into Heupel's tenure and HB fans were shredding the program claiming they hoped HB would come back to destroy TN. Now we are 18-3 on our last 21 games with wins over Saban and Dabo. A NY6 bowl win. I guess a little trust and patience was needed then.

The funny thing is I would repeat literally everything again today in regards to Milton and where we are. I trust Heupel and staff to make the best decision they believe in.

Milton once again hasn't been as bad as some fans make him out to be, but he definitely needs to play way better and I just don't think he's going to change who he is. So we will have to live with mediocre to slightly above average QB play and a good run game/D to win games. Nico will get his shot when the staff thinks the time is appropriate. In Heupel we trust!
So serious question to those who are claiming victory because of a bad staff deciding between a trio of what is now deemed to be bad QBs. Did anyone watch HB's clip against TAMU and compare it to Milton's game against TAMU? It's pretty clear to the unbiased eye who looked better there. That is to say if you think HB is bad, then what on earth will you say about Milton given that context?

IMO should this team win Saturday and continue winning, some of these guys will complain about JM relentlessly, simoly because they made bold statements about how bad he sucked in 2021 and specifically in the Ole Miss game.

If by some miracle we made the CFP and won it all...they still wouldnt stop.

I dread hearing this sh.. with Nicos first bad game.

VN Store

Back