Fight after the game

GBOplayer

I missed it, but during a Sportscenter highlight, it showed some pushing and shoving between Vols and Gators players....did anyone see what happened?

Unfortunately.......a certain VOL defensive player decided to hit the Gator QB when he was down taking a knee and blasted him over. I've told many on here already, I don't give a got-dang if he is a Gator QB.....you do not hit a kneeling Quarterback! That's thug behavior and the lowest of the low. I'm seriously wondering why Heupel isn't reigning in this sort of crap. Why is he not coaching some discipline!

Unfortunately.......a certain VOL defensive player decided to hit the Gator QB when he was down taking a knee and blasted him over. I've told many on here already, I don't give a got-dang if he is a Gator QB.....you do not hit a kneeling Quarterback! That's thug behavior and the lowest of the low. I'm seriously wondering why Heupel isn't reigning in this sort of crap. Why is he not coaching some discipline!
Actually, it looked like he tried to pull up once the QB started to kneel. The FL players started the pushing.

With 8 seconds left, why didn't the QB take a knee as soon as the ball was snapped? There was no need to dance around in the backfield like that.

He kneeled a split second before being hit by an already approaching D Lineman… it wasn’t a late hit (regardless of the stupid official tossing his flag). The QB waited to take a knee until after Omari had already begun to lean in for the tackle.

Actually, it looked like he tried to pull up once the QB started to kneel. The FL players started the pushing.

With 8 seconds left, why didn't the QB take a knee as soon as the ball was snapped? There was no need to dance around in the backfield like that.

He did try to pull up or the hit would’ve been much worse. Mertz was dancing around trying to kill the clock and took a knee when he saw the defense closing in. As I’ve said before, Napier shouldn’t have even put his QB in that situation by just punting the ball.

Here is what Heupel had to say about it (quoted from ESPN article):

“Heupel said he would prefer that his team be more composed in such situations, but added, "Their guy is dancing, and you have to go tackle him."”

Idk if it’s true but Heup was quoted that he called our last timeout so TN could get the ball back and try to score. Heup then told the reporter that their QB was running around, so the TN player was supposed to tackle him.

Again, I didn’t see it and idk if Heup said that. But supposedly there is audio of Heup apologizing to Napier end of game.

Here is what Heupel had to say about it (quoted from ESPN article):

“Heupel said he would prefer that his team be more composed in such situations, but added, "Their guy is dancing, and you have to go tackle him."”

Maybe he should address why he called timeout with 7 seconds left? Just asking for trouble.

I heard about this and then went and saw it after the fact. Good heavens some of you LOVE drama. Like teenage girls. “Blasted him”!? Really? “Fight”? Really? He wasn’t a defenseless quarterback who had given himself up and was kneeling down when someone hit him. He was running around and knelt after being pursued and caught. The defensive player didn’t blast him. He ran into him because he had momentum. Had we not pursued him and the quarterback would have ran outside the pocket and scored the same people would be crying that the team didn’t play through the whistle.

Since Mertz was rewarded for poor sportsmanship before then why not continue. The guy got away with playing the victim, twice.

The 'roughing the passer" penalty was weaker than a bunp from grandma headed headed down the grocery isle. Mertz was was dancing and squatted right before the hit and Thomas pulled up.

Some on here are so soft they attack a coach and player for trying to win. Definitively a long shot but the effort is appreciated.

Maybe Huepel needs to go a school where winning and playing the entire game is appreciated?

Hadden is an absolute mess and needs to sit until he figures it out.

Since Mertz was rewarded for poor sportsmanship before then why not continue. The guy got away with playing the victim, twice.

The 'roughing the passer" penalty was weaker than a bunp from grandma headed headed down the grocery isle. Mertz was was dancing and squatted right before the hit and Thomas pulled up.

Some on here are so soft they attack a coach and player for trying to win. Definitively a long shot but the effort is appreciated.

Maybe Huepel needs to go a school where winning and playing the entire game is appreciated?

Hadden is an absolute mess and needs to sit until he figures it out.

I read that the UN has been contacted and that they are securing the transport of the roundest of round tables for a peace treaty between the two teams. So far, there will be:

Fake apologies and that therapists will be made available.

Someone suggested Orange slices, like soccer children get after a game, but then the idea was scrapped because UT has orange as a major representative color. It was then pointed out that there is SOME orange associated with the Gators.

Grapes are now the top alternate fruit.

Perhaps other people can tack on suggestions what the next steps should be?

Maybe he should address why he called timeout with 7 seconds left? Just asking for trouble.

We all wanted the Vols to go into the Swamp and put up a good fight. They just waited till after the game was over to do it. That whole debacle is on Heupel for calling the time out. Looks like he waited till the game was over to try and coach.

Honestly I don’t know what Heupel was thinking calling that timeout there. That fight happened solely because of that timeout. Players were done, but maybe if they played with that much fight during the game they would’ve won.
Its true

I heard about this and then went and saw it after the fact. Good heavens some of you LOVE drama. Like teenage girls. “Blasted him”!? Really? “Fight”? Really? He wasn’t a defenseless quarterback who had given himself up and was kneeling down when someone hit him. He was running around and knelt after being pursued and caught. The defensive player didn’t blast him. He ran into him because he had momentum. Had we not pursued him and the quarterback would have ran outside the pocket and scored the same people would be crying that the team didn’t play through the whistle.
There are some who can’t resist a chance to call our own players “thugs.”

You need to go back and look very closely at that play. When the QB ,who was considered a runner at that point, took the knee the Tennessee player was about one foot away from him. No way on earth could he have avoided contact, As a matter of fact he tried to pull up and as a result the contact was minimal considering the closeness. The targeting call will be reversed this week if there is any fairness at all in those Birmingham offices.

Reactions: FlVols and SAPPER 5
He was not down when he was hit. He pretended to take a knee but was trying to let more time run off the clock when was pushed down. The defensive play could have laid him out, bur decided to jus \t make sure he was on the ground to save time on the clock. I thought it was a solid clean play.

VN Store

Back