'24 IL OT Marques Easley (Georgia commit)

Man, really wanted Easley. His ceiling makes him a culture fit anywhere. He’s got the feet and nasty streak. Needs some strength added, but he can move. His ceiling is as high as Darnell - first rounder. Too bad our NIL couldn’t sway him.
It's fairly well known from some other Vol sites, that we passed on Easley, as have several other top schools that were recruiting him hard previously as well.

It's fairly well known from some other Vol sites, that we passed on Easley, as have several other top schools that were recruiting him hard previously as well.
Looking to his film, it was probably a mistake to pass on him by these top schools. Sounds like excuses from fanbases that realized they were out-recruited. In the portal age, hopefully our coaches aren’t passing on guys when they could be available again in a year or two.

Man, really wanted Easley. His ceiling makes him a culture fit anywhere. He’s got the feet and nasty streak. Needs some strength added, but he can move. His ceiling is as high as Darnell - first rounder. Too bad our NIL couldn’t sway him.
I can't disagree with this more. I don't care how high a player's "ceiling" is. If he's a negative influence or problem child, no thanks. It's a win at all costs mentality that I can't get behind.

I can't disagree with this more. I don't care how high a player's "ceiling" is. If he's a negative influence or problem child, no thanks. It's a win at all costs mentality that I can't get behind.
So what’s the word on Easley being a negative influence or problem child? Any specifics?

Reactions: LittleVol
So what’s the word on Easley being a negative influence or problem child? Any specifics?
That wasn't my implication. The quoted post indicated that a kids ceiling would make him a "culture fit anywhere". I interpreted that to mean the kid is so good, you overlook any other issues which I completely disagree with.

That wasn't my implication. The quoted post indicated that a kids ceiling would make him a "culture fit anywhere". I interpreted that to mean the kid is so good, you overlook any other issues which I completely disagree with.
I can agree with you there. The ‘culture fit anywhere’ because of his ceiling was with the unstated idea that it doesn’t seem like Easley has any significant baggage (gun charges, beating women, drugs). Don’t overlook those issues for sure. But, a high school kid that might be immature? The talent trumps that as you trust your culture, upperclass leaders, and coaches to work that out of these kids in the first couple of weeks on the practice field.

According to some on here, we should pursue player types such Janzen Jackson and Da’rick Rogers. How did that work out for TN?

Reactions: HalfullVol
I can agree with you there. The ‘culture fit anywhere’ because of his ceiling was with the unstated idea that it doesn’t seem like Easley has any significant baggage (gun charges, beating women, drugs). Don’t overlook those issues for sure. But, a high school kid that might be immature? The talent trumps that as you trust your culture, upperclass leaders, and coaches to work that out of these kids in the first couple of weeks on the practice field.
Yes, kids make mistakes, but the evaluations begin long before signing day. I would assume a staff will really do a deep dive on recruits. Talk with teachers, friends, teammates, etc. Spend time with the kid and his family. Take in their environment and home life, etc. If you really care to look, a picture will form and that will give you an idea that the mistake was a one off, dumb "kid" mistake or a sign of potential future issues. The job is tough enough without off the field issues. You don't need to invite problems into your locker room with the notion that you can rehabilitate a kid. Guard that culture and don't go chasing fools gold.

One bad apple can affect the culture of a program.

Jeremy Banks comes to mind.

That RB whom transferred from Clemson tried to start sh*t during practice then Heupel kicked him off the team.

That RB whom transferred from Clemson tried to start sh*t during practice then Heupel kicked him off the team.
Ill never understand the Banks deal. Take him out of the lineup and we turn to jello.

Ill never understand the Banks deal. Take him out of the lineup and we turn to jello.

Rumors he started a scuffle with Hooker over NIL but it’s not exactly the first time he’s ran his mouth.

I think he turned out to be a good player, however, Heupel probably had a good reason to suspend him from the SC game.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
Something had to happen because AP said that one wouldn’t be continuing while he was still on his OV basically. He either had an incident or just straight up told us no shot to our faces or something.

Reactions: HalfullVol
IMO Easley was sent by UGA as a mole to all their competitors. He listed a top 3 without UGA when they were the obvious leader. Then all other schools stated saying they were no longer recruiting him. Guessing other recruits told the coaches what he was doing.

Spurrier used to do the same thing to Fulmer with some of his recruits

Rumors he started a scuffle with Hooker over NIL but it’s not exactly the first time he’s ran his mouth.

I think he turned out to be a good player, however, Heupel probably had a good reason to suspend him from the SC game.
Our team was acting full of itself during the Missouri game as well…. I’d say it was a combination of many things.

IMO Easley was sent by UGA as a mole to all their competitors. He listed a top 3 without UGA when they were the obvious leader. Then all other schools stated saying they were no longer recruiting him. Guessing other recruits told the coaches what he was doing.

Seems like a pretty good theory

AP stated this wasn’t the case

Reactions: VolByLaw

I had forgotten that
You know where he went and if he saw field?

Someone I know (I don't know if this this true) told me the staff believes Hendon's knee was slightly injured before the SC game due to his altercation with JB. I do know that this person is friends with one of the assistants. He is adamant this coach told him this. Lastly, he asked me not to share this so I won't divulge the coach.

Our team was acting full of itself during the Missouri game as well…. I’d say it was a combination of many things.
Yeah, I think our team as a whole got overconfident, our defensive coaching staff got pantsed, Spencer Rattler played the game of his life and weird things sometimes happen at Williams-Brice at night.

Reactions: GroverCleveland

VN Store

Back