SEC Title drought

Voldog1998

It’s been 25 years since we last won the SEC and 16 years since we were in the SEC title game. Needless to say we are overdue to break that long drought and win a SEC title. Do you guys think Heupel can win the SEC? and what it will take? I certainly don’t expect it this season but I think in 24 and 25 we are seriously competing for the SEC, playoff and national title. The big question is though how do we get over the Georgia hump?

Reactions: LittleVol
Is Heupel the coach who can
Win the SEC? Yes
Make the Playoffs? Yes
Win a National Championship? His staff is building the foundation by establishing the offensive scheme, recruiting quality defensive depth, and getting players drafted in order to attract more quality recruits on both offense and defense.
I am on board. I am even going to two games at Neyland for the first time since 2012.

I think Heupel will win a national championship here. I think for that we are probably 3 years away. But if Nico develops like we think he will and the defense improves, I can easily see us winning the SEC in 2024.

How so? I think the offense will regress a bit. Defense surely has to get better.

I think Nico is gonna be an upgrade over Milton. The WR corp will still be really good possibly better. Running game will be improved. Sampson is more explosive than Wright and Small. And don’t forget about Bishop and Keith. The offense is gonna regress this year. I don’t think we will be in the top 10 in yards and scoring. I think we land 15-20 this year. I see the offense being a little better.

Reactions: Voldog1998
I think Nico is gonna be an upgrade over Milton. The WR corp will still be really good possibly better. Running game will be improved. Sampson is more explosive than Wright and Small. And don’t forget about Bishop and Keith. The offense is gonna regress this year. I don’t think we will be in the top 10 in yards and scoring. I think we land 15-20 this year. I see the offense being a little better.
Oh I thought you meant 23. My bad.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
You pretty much have to be the best team in the nation to win the SEC so winning the SEC and winning the NC are about equally likely at any given time. If Nico pans out we'll have a shot in 24 and 25, we've got to get alot better on defense though, particularly in the secondary.

You pretty much have to be the best team in the nation to win the SEC so winning the SEC and winning the NC are about equally likely at any given time. If Nico pans out we'll have a shot in 24 and 25, we've got to get alot better on defense though, particularly in the secondary.

With the 12-team playoff format, we may very well win a national championship before we win a SEC title.

Lots of us are discounting Milton and looking ahead to Nico. It’s understandable, but Milton could easily turn out to be incredible this season. It’s not a certainty, of course. However, Milton showed us something against Clemson (and Vandy) at the end of last season. He could be poised for a GREAT run.

We are going to have to be deeper to win SEC/NC. IF Nico pans out, he'll bring in the talent to get us there. Outside of our scheme differential/coaches, we still have alot of room to improve in our over all 2-deep talent, in respect to Bama/UGA and maybe a couple others. All this being said, I'm just happy we are in the conversation and on the upswing again.

It’s been 25 years since we last won the SEC and 16 years since we were in the SEC title game. Needless to say we are overdue to break that long drought and win a SEC title.

I read this in this voice...

1558686864_2.gif

It’s been 25 years since we last won the SEC and 16 years since we were in the SEC title game. Needless to say we are overdue to break that long drought and win a SEC title. Do you guys think Heupel can win the SEC? and what it will take? I certainly don’t expect it this season but I think in 24 and 25 we are seriously competing for the SEC, playoff and national title. The big question is though how do we get over the Georgia hump?

By beating them. Not meant to be a smart-as- answer. With the increased good to quality depth it can happen even if they are still somewhat better. "On any given Saturday",,, sorta like our Bama game last season or our game with SC.

It’s been 25 years since we last won the SEC and 16 years since we were in the SEC title game

Sh**********************************t, I am just so damn happy that we are once again relevant in the SEC. Was tired of being the proverbial doormat of the SEC East. Hoping SEC title and NC title coming our way but to me, more importantly, I'm just so damn happy that Saturdays in the Fall are no longer a major embarrassment. CJH has done wonders in a short time and feel confident he can do more with more. Great to be a Tennessee Vol!

It’s been 25 years since we last won the SEC and 16 years since we were in the SEC title game

Sh**********************************t, I am just so damn happy that we are once again relevant in the SEC. Was tired of being the proverbial doormat of the SEC East. Hoping SEC title and NC title coming our way but to me, more importantly, I'm just so damn happy that Saturdays in the Fall are no longer a major embarrassment. CJH has done wonders in a short time and feel confident he can do more with more. Great to be a Tennessee Vol!
I hear you on that I’m so thankful that I look forward to Saturday’s in the fall again and our team not being a embarrassment on the field and poorly coached. I feel we can compete with anybody now. Heupel has done a incredible job in two seasons def the best coach we have hired post Phil.

If our only loss is to UGAly, and we don't win the East or SEC, as long as we make the playoffs, I would be stoked.

Winning the SEC is great and good, but having a chance to win it all is even better.

I agree it will likely not be this year, but I do think we have a real shot in 24, 25, and beyond. With our offense remaining in the Nations top 5 or so, and our defense becoming elite , we will be contending for championships for years to come.

VN Store

Back