Will the Lady Vols be Improved next Season?

madtownvol

I know this assessment is a bit early since the transfer window is not yet finished but, Kellie's roster is still mostly set, so we can start to envision what next year’s team might be.

It is easier now because the last two seasons have shown how Kellie will set up her team and the specific roles each player has to fit into (even when facing the square peg round hole problem). No reason to waste any more time imagining different configurations that Kellie could or should use because she has her system and, as we know, "she does not like change."

Conventional post slot: Kellie wants the old skool back to the basket, protect the rim post player who occasionally slides out for pick and roll action. Having Key back will be a huge upgrade over the triad who filled in during her absence. None of them really fit that role, though Hollingshead came the closest. The open question is who will be the back-up since Key will probably only average between 25 to maybe 30 minutes a game. Right now, it would be Hollingshead which I will argue is not a good use of her talents so, a #2 post in the transfer would seem to be a high priority. In lieu of that, I would rather Striplin than Hollingshead in the role for reasons listed below:

The power forward slot: Two years ago, Alexus Dye was the perfect fit for this role. She was an excellent rebounder, good finisher around the rim, and a strong defensive presence in the paint. This season square peg Rickea was put into this round hole and it worked okay, except that Rickea could not be the linebacker in the paint that Dye had been. Couple that deficiency with Key’s absence and no shock that the LVs interior defense seriously declined.

Next season (assuming Kellie recruits a number two post), Hollingshead is the perfect fit with Puckett and Striplin being good next options. When you consider this role in the broader defensive scheme and not just point production, I think Hollingshead will be an overall improvement. As with Rickea, I would keep Holllingshead on the floor as much as possible (in this role) and so I would not use her in the suboptimal role of Key's back-up unless forced to by circumstances.

The “I can do everything” Jordan Horston slot: We come to the “bacon saving” decision from Rickea to use her covid year. She will slot in here and it will be a big offensive upgrade. Rickea could put up Caitlin Clark numbers in this role. Rickea showed she can be a very good perimeter defender. I do expect a little defensive drop off from Jordan simply because JH is a super elite defender but overall Rickea is an upgrade in the spot. Who backs up Rickea is the question. Wynn has the athleticism for the role but has to take a big step forward in her all round game this offseason. I am not sure Puckett has the necessary athleticism but I suppose she could be an option as well.

Point Guard- Short answer: Destiny Wells and a year more experienced Jaz Powell will be an upgrade over Walker and this year’s version of Powell. I think Miles, also with an extra year of development, will be a solid contributor when needed to fill in.

Shooting guard—Tess and Justine. I am actually very pro-Tess and I expect her game to jump another level but I think LVs best chance to become a legit title contender is for Justine to make a Rae Burrell caliber jump from her freshman to sophomore season and become the primary option in that slot. Regardless of who starts, though I think next year's tandem will also be an upgrade from this year's.

Conclusion. The 2023-24 team will be a better team at each position than the 2022-23 team. I believe that they will also gel much faster than last year's team.

But what is their ceiling?

If we go back to 2021-22 before the injuries, the LVs were a top 5 team who hung their identity on defense. This year’s team was better offensively but was nowhere near as dominating on defense. I think next year will be a best of both worlds. The LVs will be a top ten team who will give everyone fits due to their defense. They also will be playing the same style as SC and LSU and it is hard to see the LVs beating those teams at their own game but on the right night, it could happen, as we saw in the SEC tournament vs. LSU.

I think they will be in the hunt for the SEC title and should certainly be able to get the elite 8, after which it becomes anybody’s game.

Last edited:
I know this assessment is a bit early since the transfer window is not yet finished but, Kellie's roster is still mostly set, so we can start to envision what next year’s team might be.

It is easier now because the last two seasons have shown how Kellie will set up her team and the specific roles each player has to fit into (even when facing the square peg round hole problem). No reason to waste any more time imagining different configurations that Kellie could or should use because she has her system and, as we know, "she does not like change."

Conventional post slot: Kellie wants the old skool back to the basket, protect the rim post player who occasionally slides out for pick and roll action. Having Key back will be a huge upgrade over the triad who filled in during her absence. None of them really fit that role, though Hollingshead came the closest. The open question is who will be the back-up since Key will probably only average between 25 to maybe 30 minutes a game. Right now, it would be Hollingshead which I will argue is not a good use of her talents so, a #2 post in the transfer would seem to be a high priority. In lieu of that, I would rather Striplin than Hollingshead in the role for reasons listed below:

The power forward slot: Two years ago, Alexus Dye was the perfect fit for this role. She was an excellent rebounder, good finisher around the rim, and a strong defensive presence in the paint. This season square peg Rickea was put into this round hole and it worked okay, except that Rickea could not be the linebacker in the paint that Dye had been. Couple that deficiency with Key’s absence and no shock that the LVs interior defense seriously declined.

Next season (assuming Kellie recruits a number two post), Hollingshead is the perfect fit with Puckett and Striplin being good next options. When you consider this role in the broader defensive scheme and not just point production , I think Hollingshead will be an overall improvement.

The “I can do everything” Jordan Horston slot: We come to the “bacon saving” decision from Rickea to user her covid year. She will slot in here and it will be a big offensive upgrade. Rickea could put up Caitlin Clark numbers in this role. Rickea showed she can be a very good perimeter defender. I do expect a little defensive drop off from Jordan simply because JH is a super elite defender but overall Rickea is an upgrade in the spot. Who backs up Rickea is the question. Wynn has the athleticism for the role but has to take a big step forward in her all round game this offseason. I am not sure Puckett has the necessary athleticism but I suppose she could be an option as well.

Point Guard- Short answer: Destiny Wells and a year more experienced Jaz Powell will be an upgrade over Walker and this year’s version of Powell. I think Miles, also with an extra year of development, will be a solid contributor when needed to fill in.

Shooting guard—Tess and Justine. I am actually very pro-Tess and I expect her game to jump another level but I think LVs best chance to become a legit title contender is for Justine to make a Rae Burrell caliber jump from her freshman to sophomore season and become the primary option in that slot. Regardless of who starts, though I think next year's tandem will also be an upgrade from this year's.

Conclusion. The 2023-24 team will be a better team at each position than the 2022-23 team. I believe that they will also gel much faster than last year's team.

If we go back to 2021-22 before the injuries, the LVs were a top 5 team who hung their identity on defense. This year’s team was better offensively but was nowhere near as dominating on defense. I think next year will be a best of both worlds. The LVs will be a top ten team who will give everyone fits due to their defense. They also will be playing the same style as SC and LSU and it is hard to see the LVs beating those teams at their own game but on the right night, it could happen, as we saw in the SEC tournament vs. LSU.

I think they will be in the hunt for the SEC title and should certainly be able to get the elite 8, after which it becomes anybody’s game.
If the roster stays the way it currently is, I don’t think we are a top 25 team at all, but if we can get 2 elite guards to fill out the roster, we can be top 5. Jefferson/Donarski/Padilla if we can get 2 of them I think that’s what we need.

If the roster stays the way it currently is, I don’t think we are a top 25 team at all, but if we can get 2 elite guards to fill out the roster, we can be top 5. Jefferson/Donarski/Padilla if we can get 2 of them I think that’s what we need.

In Kellie's system, where would you fit in the two new elite guards?

Reactions: VOLnBama01
I think your post Mad was well thought thru and certainly is a good start for debate. IMO I think Iowa in women's and FAU in men's showed that speed-quickness kills no matter the size of the other team. Not sure LV's will have much of either to make a difference. Jackson can't do everything.

Next season (assuming Kellie recruits a number two post), Hollingshead is the perfect fit with Puckett and Striplin being good next options. When you consider this role in the broader defensive scheme and not just point production , I think Hollingshead will be an overall improvement.

The “I can do everything” Jordan Horston slot: We come to the “bacon saving” decision from Rickea to use her covid year. She will slot in here and it will be a big offensive upgrade. Rickea could put up Caitlin Clark numbers in this role. Rickea showed she can be a very good perimeter defender. I do expect a little defensive drop off from Jordan simply because JH is a super elite defender but overall Rickea is an upgrade in the spot. Who backs up Rickea is the question. Wynn has the athleticism for the role but has to take a big step forward in her all round game this offseason. I am not sure Puckett has the necessary athleticism but I suppose she could be an option as well.

If Key is back to her original health then I like our center position with Hollingshead also as a factor. The four position is a concern cause it depends on Karoline and Sarah greatly improving their games. I want them to have opportunity, but they didn't give us enough this season more so Sarah cause Karoline was in a tough position playing as an undersized center. I have no worries about Jackson again probably being even better than she was this season. I think Key really helps take the pressure off so much double teams on her. I think Wells will help that as well if she plays anything close to the way she has played her first three seasons. I see no reason to think she will not play at least as well. Then we have the position that needs some upgrading the two guard position. I would like to see someone like Donarski and Jefferson players that can defend as well as score and shoot the ball. We have Darby, Wynn, and just don't have a clue what Pissott will look like she is the x factor cause she was rated really high time for her to play to that ranking.

I'll know more about how I feel about the team as we add more players. Were going to have to push it to compete to the top three cause Ole Miss is going to be strong and LSU and SC still have a little more talent at this time. The right two or three players could change that JMO.

I agree, Kellie needs 2 more elite guards and possibly a power forward to let Rikea go to small forward. Powell is not an elite guard as she is too inconsistent. The line up needs more scoring and Wells is not enough to push this team higher but I love her addition as it adds speed which this
team needs badly. I wish Puckett will be involved in the power forward search as she has the ability to hit the short range and long range jumper.

If Key is back to her original health then I like our center position with Hollingshead also as a factor. The four position is a concern cause it depends on Karoline and Sarah greatly improving their games. I want them to have opportunity, but they didn't give us enough this season more so Sarah cause Karoline was in a tough position playing as an undersized center. I have no worries about Jackson again probably being even better than she was this season. I think Key really helps take the pressure off so much double teams on her. I think Wells will help that as well if she plays anything close to the way she has played her first three seasons. I see no reason to think she will not play at least as well. Then we have the position that needs some upgrading the two guard position. I would like to see someone like Donarski and Jefferson players that can defend as well as score and shoot the ball. We have Darby, Wynn, and just don't have a clue what Pissott will look like she is the x factor cause she was rated really high time for her to play to that ranking.

I'll know more about how I feel about the team as we add more players. Were going to have to push it to compete to the top three cause Ole Miss is going to be strong and LSU and SC still have a little more talent at this time. The right two or three players could change that JMO.
GREAT POST, MY VOTE FOR BEST ONE TODAY

Next season (assuming Kellie recruits a number two post), Hollingshead is the perfect fit with Puckett and Striplin being good next options. When you consider this role in the broader defensive scheme and not just point production, I think Hollingshead will be an overall improvement. As with Rickea, I would keep Holllingshead on the floor as much as possible (in this role) and so I would not use in the suboptimal role of Key's back-up unless forced to by circumstances.

Until we can get past 3rd in the SEC and the SS in the tournament this is our ceiling.

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Vol376

I'd be hard pressed to list 24 teams I think will be easily better than Tennessee to start the season.

With Key, we should also keep in mind just how much more meaningful next season will be for her given she, only a short time ago, had legitimate fear she might never play again -- or worse. I suspect Tamari will be so grateful to have another season that she will be more than ready to give her all next season. She's going to be great!

Unless Kellie changes her offensive approach, where the wing players run through the lane setting low and high post screens, instead of mostly just standing on the side waiting for a pass, the LVs future is not too bright...Our offense is way to basic and easy to defend....

Unless Kellie changes her offensive approach, where the wing players run through the lane setting low and high post screens, instead of mostly just standing on the side waiting for a pass, the LVs future is not too bright...Our offense is way to basic and easy to defend....
You know what is funny about that comment. A year ago after South Carolina played LSU, Dawn Staley was quoted saying, "Kim Mulkey runs a very basic and simple offense." See where that basic and simple offense just got her? Doesn't really matter what you run as long as you run it well. Also, if you watch the opposite side of the floor and what is going on away from the ball when Tennessee is on offense, you are seeing a lot of different types of screening actions happening away from the ball. It is not just one person waiting there in one spot waiting for the pass.

Last edited:
If you depend on Striplin at the 4 your in trouble because she cant guard anyone that moves with or without the ball consistently. If they can get another shooting guard that can create her own shot that would be HUGE. The three sport is a big question mark. Outside of RJ we dont have a legitimate scorer on this team. Depending on the schedule you could see 10 to 15 losses. Possibly missing the tournament for the first time. But its all speculation until we see what the completed roster looks like. Im not bashing any player im just going to point out the truth. Striplin and Puckett and Darby are all slow. But all three can hit the three. So as long as the three in combination dont have to see the floor for long periods at a time together then they can be great roll players. With Key back and Hollingshed backing her up that lets Striplin play fewer minutes at the 5 where she is expected to deal with much better athletes. The elite guards that people keep referencing is a huge need. Imagine if Darby and Puckett had RJ quickness. WOW they would be dangerous. But if the roster stays as is and no more additions. I believe there is the ability there to win a lot of games if coaching improves drastically. Call timeouts before the runs get to huge. When turnovers are coming in droves dig into their tails and lay down the law that's unacceptable. And when the three isn't falling don't let them keep throwing up bricks. And most important run an offense that looks like the players are doing more than playground basketball. Ball movement can be your best friend. And for the love of God if your full court press is an asset. Don't wait until your down 15 or more to start pressing.

Impossible to say what kind of team we'll have next year.

1) how will wells adapt to playing higher level of competition? Hard to know how transfers will pan out, but it's likely that she's going
to be an upgrade and perhaps a significant one....

2) shooting guard is an issue: Darby can make threes but that is mostly the extent of her offensive game and she is a decidedly weak
man defender. Good shooting guards will take advantage of her. Pissot as a shooting guard? I'm not seeing that. She is 6'4" and played very little this year. Let's hope she plays a lot more next year--but I can't imagine it will be at SG. If you get a better athlete to play SG, can she shoot the trey? Right now Darby is the only player we have with a good 3-point shooting percentage.

3) Hollingshead and Key could be a pretty strong 4/5 combination if they develop any chemistry. Hollingshead should be even better offensively, and we ought to be able to play high post/low post with those two, and perhaps pretty effectively--depending on how well we pass the ball. Hollingshead had problems defensively this year in some games. I'm not sure how adding Key back to the lineup is going to make UT faster....

4) We haven't had a good offensive system for 20 years. It's long been typified by too much standing around, mediocre player/ball movement and let's hope our best player can score. We saw a ton of it this year with Jackson and Horston--and they did score (though Horston was very inconsistent), and we'll surely be seeing a lot of "Four Passes, A Little Dribbling and Please Jackson Score" plays next season. Our assist/turnover ratio is somewhere between mediocre and poor almost every year--which is an indication that we are not an efficient offensive team. Is that going to change next year? Will we be more cohesive next year? I could certainly see us getting back to the Sweet 16. But beyond that? After the last 15 years, put me in the "show me" camp.

These are TK's stats against Cardoso and Boston in 26 minutes of play the game following Jordons injury. 10 points, 10 blocks and 7 rebounds against the eventual national champion and eventual player of the year with a 6-7 post backing her up is nothing to sneeze at. Cardoso managed 2 points playing 20 minutes in this game. South Carolina only shot 32% against us in that game which was about 2% above our season average with Tamari in there in the 21-22 season. She is a diffence maker on the defensive end because the guards can actually get up into their players without worrying about getting beat to the basket because she is back there. 1680559337268.png

Impossible to say what kind of team we'll have next year.

4) We haven't had a good offensive system for 20 years. It's long been typified by too much standing around, mediocre player/ball movement and let's hope our best player can score. We saw a ton of it this year with Jackson and Horston--and they did score (though Horston was very inconsistent), and we'll surely be seeing a lot of "Four Passes, A Little Dribbling and Please Jackson Score" plays next season.

I hope you are wrong but I think you may be right. If so, all will be fine so long as Rickea averages 30+ a game-- really should be a piece of cake for her.

Next season (assuming Kellie recruits a number two post), Hollingshead is the perfect fit with Puckett and Striplin being good next options. When you consider this role in the broader defensive scheme and not just point production, I think Hollingshead will be an overall improvement. As with Rickea, I would keep Holllingshead on the floor as much as possible (in this role) and so I would not use in the suboptimal role of Key's back-up unless forced to by circumstances.

We surely need a "back to basket" Post Player, so Rikea can be all she can be offensively. LS-Who stole Reese from the portal, so why can't the Vols grab one? BTW, Rikea, as good as she is, will never be a Caitlin Clark.
The “I can do everything” Jordan Horston slot: If Horstonis smart, she will come back, like Rickea. She will make more NIL loot than in the WNBA. There is no guarantee she can make the final roster of a WNBA team. There just aren't that many spots open. Another year, honing her skills, while getting NIL would be good for her and the LV.
Shooting guard: I wasn't impressed with Tess during the Tournament. She was pretty pedestrian. She was a great shooter during the regular season but failed us at crunch time. (Sorry for the Bold typeface. I can't figure out how to turn it off. I can't get to the bottom, where font controls are. :-(

We surely need a "back to basket" Post Player, so Rikea can be all she can be offensively. LS-Who stole Reese from the portal, so why can't the Vols grab one? BTW, Rikea, as good as she is, will never be a Caitlin Clark.
The “I can do everything” Jordan Horston slot: If Horstonis smart, she will come back, like Rickea. She will make more NIL loot than in the WNBA. There is no guarantee she can make the final roster of a WNBA team. There just aren't that many spots open. Another year, honing her skills, while getting NIL would be good for her and the LV.
Shooting guard: I wasn't impressed with Tess during the Tournament. She was pretty pedestrian. She was a great shooter during the regular season but failed us at crunch time. (Sorry for the Bold typeface. I can't figure out how to turn it off. I can't get to the bottom, where font controls are. :-(

Jordan declared for the WNBA. I too wish she had come back. That is a big gap to fill.

I agree, Kellie needs 2 more elite guards and possibly a power forward to let Rikea go to small forward. Powell is not an elite guard as she is too inconsistent. The line up needs more scoring and Wells is not enough to push this team higher but I love her addition as it adds speed which this
team needs badly. I wish Puckett will be involved in the power forward search as she has the ability to hit the short range and long range jumper.

The lineup does need scoring. A good start would be 40 points from Key, Hollingshead, and RJ. But the past problem was where do 30 points come from the supporting cast? I thought Powell in the beginning of the season was going to be a significant part of this equation. Food for thought.

The lineup does need scoring. A good start would be 40 points from Key, Hollingshead, and RJ. But the past problem was where do 30 points come from the supporting cast? I thought Powell in the beginning of the season was going to be a significant part of this equation. Food for thought.
I think a big part of that was Kellie having a two year starter at the pg position returning and those first few games got way off track. When Kellie decided to go with Jordan Walker as the starter in that spot, it seemed like it really shook Powells confidence. She seemed to settle in much better towards the end of the season and regained a lot of that confidence and played very well down the stretch. I think she will be really good in year 2, but we will need to wait and see I guess.

IMO, putting Jackson in the paint and getting her the ball close to the basket was one of the smartest moves our coaches made all year. She
knows how to score from in the paint, and so long as she didn't have to worry about a shot-blocker or big close to her, she could operate. And she did. Any
natural scorer can score inside--if s/he has some space--because it only takes a basic move or two and the ability to get your shot off quickly. Now, that may be more problematic next season if Key is back, as she'll be in the paint and it would be harder to isolate Jackson, and you don't really want to pull Key out from the paint as then you lose her rebounding.

VN Store

Back