caitlin clark 40 pts back to back games played of the year no if and buts about it

Actually, Clark blamed Dawn, not Kamilla for the rim runs. Said during an ingame interview that SC letting their bigs get pulled out from under the rim is what allowed all the layups. Mentioned that SC never adjusted to that. Also, failure to adjust to oldest play in the book, the pick and roll really hurt SC.

I have been excoriated in the past for saying that I do not believe Dawn Staley is a very good coach. She has been very fortunate to have some pretty big horses to carry the load. I watch a lot of SC games and it’s just a case of them being bigger, longer, taller and control the boards. As far as an in game coach, I’ve never been that impressed. Of course, I’m slightly biased in this case.

Last edited:
. The corn in Iowa is gorgeous. When in Omaha this summer for baseball, drive over on the backroads to see the bridges of Madison County...and birthplace of John Wayne. It is a memorable experience.

If you ever find yourself in Iowa, stop at the Corn Palace. It’s the craziest tourist attraction ever, but it’s really cool. And, if you’re there, pick me up a shot glass because I broke the one that my girlfriend bought when we were there last year and I’ve been told we have to drive back there just to get one.

I think you're getting your "Pat once . . ." stories mixed up. A team from California I think it was, once called the Lady Vols "Cornfed Chicks" back in the 80s, probably in reference to their southerness. That name hung around for a little while but it did not come from Pat.
Yep you got it right. GBO

If you ever find yourself in Iowa, stop at the Corn Palace. It’s the craziest tourist attraction ever, but it’s really cool. And, if you’re there, pick me up a shot glass because I broke the one that my girlfriend bought when we were there last year and I’ve been told we have to drive back there just to get one.
I went to that as a kid. When we were in Omaha in 2021, I checked the drive time back up there. Too far. But, it is a wonderful attraction. Very kewl!!

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I hope we protect Rickea's slight frame a bit more by not having her post up as much next season. She's amazing at it given her size, has great post moves and seals off unbelievably. But she's too small for it and won't be doing it at the next level.

I heard a podcast today about the logjam in the WNBA draft caused the next couple of years with the covid year delaying entry for some. Next year in particular is very jammed up, with Clark, Paige, Brink, etc all eligible in addition to several returnees this year. Rickea may have sacrificed several draft spots by coming back. Makes me appreciate it all the more!
She won’t sacrifice any draft spot because she will come back next year even better.

Clark is one of the best women’s basket ball players I have ever seen. She can shoot from just about anywhere, just maybe everywhere including from the other end of the court, on the floor, can dribble drive, rebounds well for her height, has surprising speed and quickness, can pass and facilitate, can create her own shot and has outstanding court vision. I think Beckers is great but Clark may be a tad batter. With Beckers she has a great supporting team around her and can have an off night and UCONN can still win. With Clark, she is the heart and soul of Iowa’s team. When she has an off night, and I have seen a couple of them. Iowa is hard pressed to win.

All and all though I am an SEC fan therefore I look for LSU to win the National Championship.

Clark is one of the best women’s basket ball players I have ever seen. She can shoot from just about anywhere, just maybe everywhere including from the other end of the court, on the floor, can dribble drive, rebounds well for her height, has surprising speed and quickness, can pass and facilitate, can create her own shot and has outstanding court vision. I think Beckers is great but Clark may be a tad batter. With Beckers she has a great supporting team around her and can have an off night and UCONN can still win. With Clark, she is the heart and soul of Iowa’s team. When she has an off night, and I have seen a couple of them. Iowa is hard pressed to win.

All and all though I am an SEC fan therefore I look for LSU to win the National Championship.
I would take Bueckers because I feel like she’s so efficient and makes it look effortless. If u let Paige handle the ball 90% of the time and has a green light to shoot 25 shots a game she would put up big numbers. Let’s see how she comes off the injury but I’ll take Paige.

Reactions: dlhx
I would take Bueckers because I feel like she’s so efficient and makes it look effortless. If u let Paige handle the ball 90% of the time and has a green light to shoot 25 shots a game she would put up big numbers. Let’s see how she comes off the injury but I’ll take Paige.
I would take either and be a happy coach, both are great ball players, shooters and facilitators.

She won’t sacrifice any draft spot because she will come back next year even better.
From you're lips to God's ears. It could happen, the talent is there. Imagine Rickea with a good 3 pt shot!!
I would take either and be a happy coach, both are great ball players, shooters and facilitators.
For me Clark is just on a inhuman level as a long range shooter. Her brain should be removed and studied. Is it hand/eye coordination? Does she have rangefinder vision? Is she an android? I'm sure she practices alot but so does Paige and the rest of the world. Her ability to see the court and snap a pass is pretty extraordinary too.

I'm sure at some point Clark will have her Chamique in Greensboro night. But right now IMO she's on a level by herself. I think Paige is great, but not like Clark currently is.

Maybe Paige should've stayed in state and played for Minnesota. She would have the green light to shoot 25 times instead of having to deferred at times to Ducharme, Fudd, Edwards etc.

CC is a special player. Smarts, quickness, agility, physicality, she is the TOTAL PACKAGE!
Iowa is also a very well coached team…….

cc blow by those south caroline players for lay ups. refs get their big girls on bench with fouls starter and backup with some fouls never called on gamecocks . no problem caitlin got her done!!! gamecocks could not kept the ball out supergirls hands.
Like a dummy the USC coach had her bigs follow their big out to the key all night long. More often than not Iowa was doing layups all night and using the pick and roll game or Clark just blowing by doing layups. Iowa big had not dribbled, put the ball on the floor, once during the tournament. Does anybody think that’s an accident? She’s a girl, it’s because she can’t her only game is positioning and one two stepping to the basket.
Dawn Staley had the much more talented team by far and she was her team’s weakest link.

Reactions: glv98
Yes, she has great teammates. They were not scared.

But, USCjr had such a huge advantage in both height and athleticism. So, will LSU.

I can't see a bunch of farm girls, or boys, winning a NCAA championship in basketball. But, we will see.
I agree. Mulkey is a far better coach than Staley. She will not allow one player like Clark to beat her.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
Really do you think she's worth a million?

Five years ago I would have said no, but in terms of overall marketing value and sponsorship, in today’s market? I think so. She’s got cross-sport reach and it’s growing larger with every win. The men’s basketball subreddit has multiple threads talking about her. Athletes which bridge that gap are unicorns; especially the ones that can reach across across gender. So. She’s worth a lot, whatever the price would end up being.

Obviously this is within the framing of sponsorship and NIL. Schoolwise, no, the programs don’t even break even so there’s not really a justification there.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I have been excoriated in the past for saying that I do not believe Don Staley is a very good coach. She has been very fortunate to have some pretty big horses to carry the load. I watch a lot of SC games and it’s just a case of them being bigger, longer, taller and control the boards. As far as an in game coach, I’ve never been that impressed. Of course, I’m slightly biased in this case.

I will take your word for it that Don Staley is not a good coach, whoever he might be.

However, if by some outside chance you are referring to Dawn Staley, the head coach at South Carolina, well let's look at her coaching record. First, she had considerable success as a head coach at Temple. Then, she had to rebuild a South Carolina program that had completely fallen apart. Since 2008, she has won 2 NCs and probably would have had a third if the 2020 tournament had not been cancelled. She also has 5 Final fours, 6 Sec regular season titles, 6 SEC tournament titles, and a slew of coach of the year awards. Maybe there is a reason for why you have been excoriated in the past for looking at that record and concluding the Dawn Staley is not a good coach.

That is a feature not a bug. Iowa's offensive scheme is designed to spread teams out. they have been scoring like that all season. They actually had a poor shooting night by their standards but teams know what they are capable. At any moment, they can hit a slew of threes in a row and you are buried. I am sure Staley thought that her one-on-one defenders could keep Clark from getting into the driving lanes but they underestimated Clark. She has a decent first step but her body positioning and understanding of angles is unreal.
Excellent point and when they start knocking down 3's those big players have to come out of the paint and try to guard them. If they can make their 3's against LSU the bayou barbie will have to get away from the rim and play defense. The 3 is their equalizer. Go Hawkeyes

. . Since 2008, she has won 2 NCs and probably would have had a third if the 2020 tournament had not been cancelled. .

I’m sorry, but you cannot get credit for national championship you did not win. Many favorites wind up not winning the national championship. Only 24 out of 37 champions were even a one seed. I do understand South Carolina hung a banner trying to take credit for the “should have won” one, but that is pretty sad.

She’s obviously a good recruiter, and loads her team with great players. This year‘s team is a prime example. She has at least five future WNBA players. However, she was clearly outcoached and lost to a team that did not have close to the talent as she did. Her lack of in game adjustments probably cost them the game.

It is actually possible to be successful without being an excellent in game coach. This year‘s team could literally have beat some teams with no coaches on the bench with sheer talent alone. Look at some of the comments above who also questioned her in game coaching.

Reactions: ATLVOLFAN01
Actually, Clark blamed Dawn, not Kamilla for the rim runs. Said during an ingame interview that SC letting their bigs get pulled out from under the rim is what allowed all the layups. Mentioned that SC never adjusted to that.

Also, failure to adjust to oldest play in the book, the pick and roll really hurt SC.

I heard that remark and still say the "big"C" stood and watch shooters when she was under the basket and in good defensive position. It was not new for her either, I have noticed her lack of consistent defensive play when ever I have watched they play.

Maybe Paige should've stayed in state and played for Minnesota. She would have the green light to shoot 25 times instead of having to deferred at times to Ducharme, Fudd, Edwards etc.
That is the thing Beckers has much better players around her that she does not need to do what Clark has to do for Iowa. Both are great athletes but in a totally different situation. Until you trade their situations it is difficult to say what one is capable of versus the other. If they both stay healthy next season it will be exciting to see both of them play. Both are worth the price of the ticket to see them play.

My opinion is that SC lost the game verses Clark being the reason Iowa won. The rebound advantage should have made a big difference. SC did not take advantage of that and missed a lot of shots.

Will LSU take care of things today or get all caught up in the Clark hype and let that beat them is the question.

My opinion is that SC lost the game verses Clark being the reason Iowa won. The rebound advantage should have made a big difference. SC did not take advantage of that and missed a lot of shots.

Will LSU take care of things today or get all caught up in the Clark hype and let that beat them is the question.

Yes, I think LSU will beat them. I think Kimmy will beat them by 15-20 points.

I think USCjr would beat them four out of five games. Basically, with all those rebounds, they just choked on the putbacks. Dawn had a bad night coaching on the defensive end; and, her panic stressed out Boston and shooters.

VN Store

Back