caitlin clark 40 pts back to back games played of the year no if and buts about it

speaking of farm girls caitlin arms are small little more muscle would not hurt.

In general, she is surprisingly thin framed. But, fantastic quickness and flat our speed.

She looks more like a distance runner than a b-ball player. For 6'0", she hung in the scrum on defensive end as well. Most impressive. Regardless of LSU outcome, Caitlin is the POY in my opinion!

We let our bigs get pulled out from the paint as well and I'll never understand why....It's dumb. SC has a 6'7" center
and yet Clark must have driven to the basket for layups at least 10 times. It's how you lose...
caitlin can make a jumper or shot foul line in . sc could not guard one on one when iowa center set pick they not clark to have open shot foul line or closer to basket . caitlin shoting made center help oon pick and roll

Yes, she has great teammates. They were not scared.

But, USCjr had such a huge advantage in both height and athleticism. So, will LSU.

I can't see a bunch of farm girls, or boys, winning a NCAA championship in basketball. But, we will see.
I want to say, “Git Nekkid and watch!” But that may not be appropriate… 😏

In general, she is surprisingly thin framed. But, fantastic quickness and flat our speed.

She looks more like a distance runner than a b-ball player. For 6'0", she hung in the scrum on defensive end as well. Most impressive. Regardless of LSU outcome, Caitlin is the POY in my opinion!
She seems really wiry strong to me. I’ve seen pictures of her where her shoulders look deceptively well developed.

Yes, she has great teammates. They were not scared.

But, USCjr had such a huge advantage in both height and athleticism. So, will LSU.

I can't see a bunch of farm girls, or boys, winning a NCAA championship in basketball. But, we will see.
Them farm girls as you call them are damn good ball players. I predicted they would be South Carolina, and you better believe they have a definite shot at winning it all. They can shoot, pass and dribble and they aren’t soft on the inside by any means. They responded every time South Carolina tied them up or got a 1 point lead. They have clearly showed they are for real. Them farm girls aren’t going to be in awe of LSU that’s for sure. Go Iowa!

Them farm girls as you call them are damn good ball players. I predicted they would be South Carolina, and you better believe they have a definite shot at winning it all. They can shoot, pass and dribble and they aren’t soft on the inside by any means. They responded every time South Carolina tied them up or got a 1 point lead. They have clearly showed they are for real. Them farm girls aren’t going to be in awe of LSU that’s for sure. Go Iowa!
Yeah I think farm girl is sort of an unfair characterization. They were consistent, poised, skilled executors of a near perfect game plan. Plenty of "athleticism" to get that job done. I'll take those players wherever they're from.

Yeah I think farm girl is sort of an unfair characterization. They were consistent, poised, skilled executors of a near perfect game plan. Plenty of "athleticism" to get that job done. I'll take those players wherever they're from.
Way too easy of a stereotype for Iowans.

Way too easy of a stereotype for Iowans.

I borrowed that general phrase from Pat Summitt. After they beat us one year, she called them a bunch of 'corn fed girls'. Perhaps in the late 80's or early 90's.

To me, it is a compliment. They are a stout bunch of people. And, they grow more corn than any other state except for when Illinois cheats on their counting...(which is fairly often).

The corn in Iowa is gorgeous. When in Omaha this summer for baseball, drive over on the backroads to see the bridges of Madison County...and birthplace of John Wayne. It is a memorable experience.

I borrowed that general phrase from Pat Summitt. After they beat us one year, she called them a bunch of 'corn fed girls'. Perhaps in the late 80's or early 90's.

To me, it is a compliment. They are a stout bunch of people. And, they grow more corn than any other state except for when Illinois cheats on their counting...(which is fairly often).

The corn in Iowa is gorgeous. When in Omaha this summer for baseball, drive over on the backroads to see the bridges of Madison County...and birthplace of John Wayne. It is a memorable experience.
I think you're getting your "Pat once . . ." stories mixed up. A team from California I think it was, once called the Lady Vols "Cornfed Chicks" back in the 80s, probably in reference to their southerness. That name hung around for a little while but it did not come from Pat.

I think you're getting your "Pat once . . ." stories mixed up. A team from California I think it was, once called the Lady Vols "Cornfed Chicks" back in the 80s, probably in reference to their southerness. That name hung around for a little while but it did not come from Pat.

Oh...

Well, that may be true. Now that you say it, maybe a Cheryl Miller type team called one of our early championship teams that name.

Either way, I don't object to being called a farm boy or corn fed. Just means we can toss some square bails around.

We'll send this one out to all the country folks up in da thread. Spit some beechnut in yo eye

Yes, their entire team plays really smart. That intelligent sagging on the defense end made it almost look like they were playing a triangle and two defense.

But, they were really daring USCjr to beat them with their outside shooting. When it came around to crunch time, Dawn overstressed her shooters and they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Even with 4/5 Iowa players surrounding SC's bigs, South Carolina got close to 30 offensive rebounds in the game. That size advantage was significant,
credit to Iowa for their toughness. SC really lost the game by not helping on Clark's drives to the basket--which was completely inexcusable and really dumb. Clark was only 5 for 17 from the three line, so all of her layups were the difference in the game.

The women's game has never seen anything like Caitlin Clark. She can score from anywhere, and her ball handling and court vision are extraordinary. I thoroughly enjoyed watching that.
Agree 100% with everything you said. Best bb player in the country, possibly world, men or women. Anyone who watched, and didnt enjoy that performance, doesn't know **** about bb.

If I believed in reincarnation I’d be sure she’s what became of the collegiate Pete Maravich. For those that never saw him play at LSU, she’s pretty darn close to the female version.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Even with 4/5 Iowa players surrounding SC's bigs, South Carolina got close to 30 offensive rebounds in the game. That size advantage was significant,
credit to Iowa for their toughness. SC really lost the game by not helping on Clark's drives to the basket--which was completely inexcusable and really dumb. Clark was only 5 for 17 from the three line, so all of her layups were the difference in the game.

That is a feature not a bug. Iowa's offensive scheme is designed to spread teams out. they have been scoring like that all season. They actually had a poor shooting night by their standards but teams know what they are capable. At any moment, they can hit a slew of threes in a row and you are buried. I am sure Staley thought that her one-on-one defenders could keep Clark from getting into the driving lanes but they underestimated Clark. She has a decent first step but her body positioning and understanding of angles is unreal.

That’s what playing with boys growing up does. Said no girls teams around so she played against boys the physicality and speed of the game as well as just the overall better players I’m sure she saw made her who she is.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
She and Rickea are similar in that regard. Both have what appear to be slighter frames but manage to hold up well against the physicality.
I hope we protect Rickea's slight frame a bit more by not having her post up as much next season. She's amazing at it given her size, has great post moves and seals off unbelievably. But she's too small for it and won't be doing it at the next level.

I heard a podcast today about the logjam in the WNBA draft caused the next couple of years with the covid year delaying entry for some. Next year in particular is very jammed up, with Clark, Paige, Brink, etc all eligible in addition to several returnees this year. Rickea may have sacrificed several draft spots by coming back. Makes me appreciate it all the more!

Hope we don't repeat that with Key the shot blocker extraordinare this year.

We all knew, or suspected, Dawn was not the best in game adjuster. But the amount that got exposed last night was shocking.

Dawn had such great respect for Pat, which I appreciate, but she's almost stuck in Pat's game. Which was great at the time, but is passe now. Defense, putbacks, and sheer size and physicality still wins most of the time, but not all the time, esp against very elite players and coaching. Will be interesting to see how/if Dawn adjusts. She needs consistent 3 pt shooters.
So much for Dawn's dynasty? It's over and Boston is leaving! Dawn is a very good recruiter and motivator, but not a good strategist at all. With all of the talent and athleticism she had, you'd expect more?

Reactions: Jax_Vol
I hope we protect Rickea's slight frame a bit more by not having her post up as much next season. She's amazing at it given her size, has great post moves and seals off unbelievably. But she's too small for it and won't be doing it at the next level.

I heard a podcast today about the logjam in the WNBA draft caused the next couple of years with the covid year delaying entry for some. Next year in particular is very jammed up, with Clark, Paige, Brink, etc all eligible in addition to several returnees this year. Rickea may have sacrificed several draft spots by coming back. Makes me appreciate it all the more!

She's betting on herself. Gotta love the confidence.

This year Kellie slotted Rickea into her Alexus Dye power forward position. I would not be surprised if some of the early season tensions related to the extent to which Rickea had to change her game to play that role.

Last season, Dye average 10.2 points and 7.7 rebounds versus Rickea's 19.1 pts and 6.1 rebounds so the strategy worked out pretty well except Rickea did not have the physical presence of Dye (who was solid as a brick wall) and the team's interior defense suffered as a result -- compounded by the absence of Key.

Next season, Hollingshead can play the Dye role and Rickea should I think slot into the Jordan Horston posititon, where she could put up some pretty head turning numbers.

VN Store

Back