Article about Barnes

W

WHo you going hire? who will come here that is proven? You think a Mid Major coach is the answer?
Rick Barnes is the 4th highest paid basketball coach in the country. Tennessee could pay anyone they want. There’s a guy by the name of Jay Wright who might get the urge to get back into coaching in the next few years. Would be a tremendous hire.

W

WHo you going hire? who will come here that is proven? You think a Mid Major coach is the answer?

If the administration does there'd homework and keeps the checkbook open a good hire will be made. Time will tell if it's someone better than Barnes overall but I would bet everything I own that he will be a better in game bench coaching.

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
Rick Barnes is the 4th highest paid basketball coach in the country. Tennessee could pay anyone they want. There’s a guy by the name of Jay Wright who might get the urge to get back into coaching in the next few years. Would be a tremendous hire.
Wright isn't coming here and they tried this isn't a basketball school like UNC,UCLA, Kentucky and so on your I'm Dreamland if you think a big-time coach would come here

Not going to happen. He retired for a reason.

Did Barnes shoot 33% from the field, 26% from 3, or 57 % from the ft line? The players played scared and it cost us. Should Barnes have used a TO earlier during the run? Yes he should have, but to say this loss is only on him is ridiculous.
Everything you said is true. However, look at this team since SEC play began in January. They played tight, they couldn’t score, and they didn’t adjust. Injuries were a part of it for sure. But please explain to me why we didn’t see more, especially last night, of our rebounding machine- Tobe Awaka. Please explain to me why a guy like BJ Edwards only saw minimal game time minutes. When your bigs are outrebounded by FAU in what is an elimination game, something isn’t right. This Vols team is loaded. Barnes wants defense to turn into offense. He wants inside presence to turn into outside scoring. But you watched what I watched… short armed inside shots and so many missed layups. Near the end of the game nobody wanted to shoot yet we had to try to score. This has been a 2nd half of the season trend. It‘s also what got us in the Colorado game. The team got to the sweet 16 which is great. But the path was there for so much more. And now comes the inevitable, watching the disgruntled guys hit the portal. Until next season, that’s my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sudden Impact
Barnes needs to fundamentally change his philosophy. That's not likely at this point in his career but his obsessive focus on defense is stunting the development of offensive playmakers. You see glimmers of it once in a while. Phillips could have been easily developed into instant O. He can pretty much do it all. But his playing time was limited in part by injury but apparently also because Barnes trusted others more on D. Mashack showed the potential to be a slasher last night. A guy who can break down a D off the dribble and get to the basket and finish or dish. It took Ziegler's injury for him to really start getting an opportunity to feel out his abilities.

This will almost always happen to Barnes because he will always run into multiple teams in the NCAAs who have great guard play. He will always run into teams that can shoot the three and know how to rotate the ball and get guys open. There is always a point where great O in basketball beats great D. Barnes is a living testimony.

Phillips averaged 24 minutes per game this year. And it was more than that before his injury.

Seems a bit silly to blame his offensive struggles on lack of playing time.

Certainly enough time for the "instant O" you imply.

Jay Wright has said he has no desire to play by the NIL rules.

He has a comfy job with little to no stress added.

Hell, why don’t you just throw Self, Izzo, and Cal in there as well?

Phillips averaged 24 minutes per game this year. And it was more than that before his injury.

Compare his development over the course of the year to that of Duke's Fr. Duke became a very good defensive team but they had multiple Fr who grew into scorers.

You can blame it on something else or explain it a different way. You can even argue that I've overestimated Phillips' talent. You cannot argue that UT was a good offensive basketball team with or without Z or that they had guys who could come in and provide a "spark" on that end of the court.

And it isn't just playing time. You have to develop the player and the O. It has to be an emphasis. The focus is too much on D.

Jay Wright is not coming here.

Did Barnes shoot 33% from the field, 26% from 3, or 57 % from the ft line? The players played scared and it cost us. Should Barnes have used a TO earlier during the run? Yes he should have, but to say this loss is only on him is ridiculous.

Unless you live a World where the head coach doesn't dictate the offense and there hasn't been a track record decades long of Barnes' teams woefully underperforming in the tournament offensively, then it isn't just on the players. It's almost as if they don't even practice shooting mid range jump shots or foul shots because it doesn't seem to show during games

Jay Wright is not coming here.

No he isn't but Rick Barnes isn't the only good basketball coach that exists. There are plenty of good mid major coaches that would gladly coach for 4-5 million per year. Look no further than Nate Oats or Eric Musselman, but on the flip side look at John Callipari or Jim Boeheim. Sometimes the game passes coaches by, now I am not suggesting they fire Barnes'. They aren't and he doesn't deserve it but he does need to change his offensive system if we are ever going to get past the Sweet Sixteen every millenium

These guys thinking no top tier coach wants to come here because we are not a basketball school is hilarious. We have the support to be am everything school. Our fanbase travels. We have top notch NIL support. Yes we can go out and hire a great coach. Jay Wright is 61. Dude is probably done. But there are plenty of other coaches we can call.

Wright isn't coming here and they tried this isn't a basketball school like UNC,UCLA, Kentucky and so on your I'm Dreamland if you think a big-time coach would come here

Isnt' that what was said about football recently? Sometimes, BIG TIME COACHES prove themselves at BIG TIME PROGRAMS! Heupel is a perfect example of that! Is UT a football school? Absolutely! But, UT had much more excitement and more recent support for baseball and basketball for a few years before the HEUP arrived!!! All this UT isn't a basketball school and can't get a big time basketball coach by y'all that think so is PURE ASININE SPEWING OF THE MOUTH. The current administration CAN and WILL spend the money to hire a BIG TIME basketball coach when it is necessary. If Barnes lays an egg in the SEC Tournament and NCAA Tournament again next season, I say it is time to roll the dice and get a new YOUNG coach. Enough is enough!

Last edited:
Reactions: OldVolMan
Compare his development over the course of the year to that of Duke's Fr. Duke became a very good defensive team but they had multiple Fr who grew into scorers.

You can blame it on something else or explain it a different way. You can even argue that I've overestimated Phillips' talent. You cannot argue that UT was a good offensive basketball team with or without Z or that they had guys who could come in and provide a "spark" on that end of the court.

And it isn't just playing time. You have to develop the player and the O. It has to be an emphasis. The focus is too much on D.

You blamed it on lack of playing time..... not me. .

Which is silly as I pointed out.

If you want to pivot to a different reason now, we can do that.

These guys thinking no top tier coach wants to come here because we are not a basketball school is hilarious. We have the support to be am everything school. Our fanbase travels. We have top notch NIL support. Yes we can go out and hire a great coach. Jay Wright is 61. Dude is probably done. But there are plenty of other coaches we can call.
I guess they are content with Rick’s 1970s offense.

No he isn't but Rick Barnes isn't the only good basketball coach that exists. There are plenty of good mid major coaches that would gladly coach for 4-5 million per year. Look no further than Nate Oats or Eric Musselman, but on the flip side look at John Callipari or Jim Boeheim. Sometimes the game passes coaches by, now I am not suggesting they fire Barnes'. They aren't and he doesn't deserve it but he does need to change his offensive system if we are ever going to get past the Sweet Sixteen every millenium

This is such a level headed response. Sums it up perfectly.

Maybe Barnes has a little Bobby Cox in him. Cox managed the Braves when they were certifiably the best ball club since the Yanks had Ruth and Gehrig on their roster and managed to barely win one series during that span.

I hope Barnes quits not because he is horrible like some of you say.I hope he does to prove to you naysayers that actually believe we could get a top notch coach,it's not happening people not here Barnes is the best we have had but if he leaves and we get what some of you will call a savior and we suck ass for next five years I will laugh like hell watching the same people say what happened

Why can't we get a top notch coach when Barnes retires? I don't understand that line of thought, Barnes will be gone sooner rather than later and you believe the program will not attract a top notch coach? Why?

Isnt' that what was said about football recently? Sometimes, BIG TIME COACHES prove themselves at BIG TIME PROGRAMS! Heupel is a perfect example of that! Is UT a football school? Absolutely! But, UT had much more excitement and more recent support for baseball and basketball for a few years before the HEUP arrived!!! All this UT isn't a basketball school and can't get a big time basketball coach by y'all that think so is PURE ASININE SPEWING OF THE MOUTH. The current administration CAN and WILL spend the money to hire a BIG TIME basketball coach when it is necessary. If Barnes lays an egg in the SEC Tournament and NCAA Tournament again next season, I say it is time to roll the dice and get a new YOUNG coach. Enough is enough!
You need a hug and I don't scream at you lol maybe a little less caffeine for you

This TIMES a MILLION!!! I wouldn't have even given Phillips any playing time last night. His production on the court from EVERY ASPECT of the GAME has been very lacking. He hasn't shown me any glimpse of a 5 star player and lottery pick in any of his play! He has been a waste of a player MOST of this year for UT, PERIOD!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigorangejumpsuit
Why can't we get a top notch coach when Barnes retires? I don't understand that line of thought, Barnes will be gone sooner rather than later and you believe the program will not attract a top notch coach? Why?
We thought the same when Pearl was let go and you saw what happened CM and then DT enough said

You need a hug and I don't scream at you lol maybe a little less caffeine for you

Your PETTY INSULTS can't HIDE the FACT that you are DELUSIONAL. Caps are a point of emphasis, not yelling. Go take a nap and come back when you QUIT DREAMING of UT not being able to hire a real BIG TIME basketball coach as you would call it!

Your PETTY INSULTS can't HIDE the FACT that you are DELUSIONAL. Caps are a point of emphasis, not yelling. Go take a nap and come back when you QUIT DREAMING of UT not being able to hire a real BIG TIME basketball coach as you would call it!
Maybe we both should take a nap around same age and see who comes out of lala land first

VN Store

Back