Article about Barnes

Barnes needs to fundamentally change his philosophy. That's not likely at this point in his career but his obsessive focus on defense is stunting the development of offensive playmakers. You see glimmers of it once in a while. Phillips could have been easily developed into instant O. He can pretty much do it all. But his playing time was limited in part by injury but apparently also because Barnes trusted others more on D. Mashack showed the potential to be a slasher last night. A guy who can break down a D off the dribble and get to the basket and finish or dish. It took Ziegler's injury for him to really start getting an opportunity to feel out his abilities.

This will almost always happen to Barnes because he will always run into multiple teams in the NCAAs who have great guard play. He will always run into teams that can shoot the three and know how to rotate the ball and get guys open. There is always a point where great O in basketball beats great D. Barnes is a living testimony.

Except saying we knocked off “then #2 Gonzaga in the regular season”. It was a preseason scrimmage……

Everything else thouHH, the cold hard truth.

This is true. One small lie was spoken. We did beat them though and they were ranked 2nd when we beat them. We've won some huge games and lost some terrible games.

Reactions: Tenacjim
This is true. One small lie was spoken. We did beat them though and they were ranked 2nd when we beat them. We've won some huge games and lost some terrible games.
I don’t even consider it a lie. Just not accurate. I just get sick of hearing about a scrimmage we won (that doesn’t even show in the record), when we lost the game that matters most to a team we should beat….

Did Barnes shoot 33% from the field, 26% from 3, or 57 % from the ft line? The players played scared and it cost us. Should Barnes have used a TO earlier during the run? Yes he should have, but to say this loss is only on him is ridiculous.

Are the 4 other tourney losses to lower seeds his fault?

Or nah?

Did Barnes shoot 33% from the field, 26% from 3, or 57 % from the ft line? The players played scared and it cost us. Should Barnes have used a TO earlier during the run? Yes he should have, but to say this loss is only on him is ridiculous.

And Saban hasnt scored one TD for Bama or sacked one QB...the reality is coaches are judged on how their team performs.

Overall, considering this team had some limitations (which is Barnes responsibility as he built this team) and then had some added injury limitations (not on Barnes), I think Barnes led this team about as far as they could go. The FAU loss was bad but the Duke win was impressive. Either way, this teams ceiling was roughly the Sweet 16.

Barnes needs to fundamentally change his philosophy. That's not likely at this point in his career but his obsessive focus on defense is stunting the development of offensive playmakers. You see glimmers of it once in a while. Phillips could have been easily developed into instant O. He can pretty much do it all. But his playing time was limited in part by injury but apparently also because Barnes trusted others more on D. Mashack showed the potential to be a slasher last night. A guy who can break down a D off the dribble and get to the basket and finish or dish. It took Ziegler's injury for him to really start getting an opportunity to feel out his abilities.

This will almost always happen to Barnes because he will always run into multiple teams in the NCAAs who have great guard play. He will always run into teams that can shoot the three and know how to rotate the ball and get guys open. There is always a point where great O in basketball beats great D. Barnes is a living testimony.
Makes me wonder if not Rick Barnes who on the UT Coaching Staff is responsible for coaching the offense? If it is him then maybe he needs to turn that part of our hoops team over to an offensive minded coach. If that person is not on this staff then find someone who is a good offensive coach. Some of our players who appear to have talent appear to be lost on the offensive end. That 2nd half was awful and pretty much rang true in a lot of our losses.

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
To me, not having ZZ cost us, not only with how he plays, but with how his absence makes the others feel they have to play. Vescovi and JJJ had more pressure to perform. I believe that’s why they were tight in the game. When it came down to how those two played, I knew it was a matter of time.
That said, I’m very thankful for this season. Many quality wins will overshadow the questionable losses. I’m also thankful for CRB and what he stands for. There’s a reason other coaches hold him in high esteem and he’s on the rules committee and so forth. Yes, he makes mistakes, but the lack of finish around the rim is what cost us last night, IMO.
I tell you one thing- the local Clemson media down here have no trouble bashing Tennessee and CRB, particularly this morning, calling them “thugs” and how CRB is the worst tournament coach in NCAA history, etc., but it’s ironic, coming from a fan base whose best coach in history was CRB, and the guy they have now couldn’t make it out of the first round of the NIT at HOME as the #1 seed. I guess they have to have something to crow about since they’ve been totally absent since the beatdown in Miami and the softball loss to Tennessee.
2 weeks ago, I was at my son’s baseball tournament and wearing a UT shirt. A guy got out of his seat and approached me, and said “ I told my wife that it’s amazing how many Tennessee fans we see since the bowl game.” I said “ Well, I told my wife that it’s amazing how few Clemson fans we’ve seen since that bowl game.” He sat right back down and I went on my way 😂
Bottom line from my perspective is- CRB loves Tennessee and I think he still has the itch to coach. He develops players into men and we have it much better than many other schools. I’m excited to see what the future holds. Go Big Orange!!

orbs son you need to grow up barnes is responsible if the player not shooting well then try another till you get the right combination on the floor togeather. all year win two loose one looses to teames he should beat he responsible for the whole team win or lose. that why he make millions ayear.

We didn't have the right combination last night. Nobody played well on the offensive end, except maybe Mashack and Uros early. It wasn't out night. Yes Barnes could have been a little better, but our players could have too.

As Bill Parcells rightly said, you are what your record says you are. I said last night that I don’t consider this a choke job, but Barnes has a long history of underperforming in March.

If Tenn wants a championship team Barnes needs to go. As the saying goes “good is the enemy of great”. If the AD wants to over pay for a good but not great team, stay with Barnes. If the university wants a championship, he needs to find a younger coach with some balls and some fire. Pearl was the best we’ve had.

If the players on his roster aren't getting it done at crunch time, then the onus is on Rick to populate his roster with recruits or transfers who can get the job done. Continuously banging his head on the Sweet 16 ceiling (at best) at the Big Dance time after time is not going to earn him the sort of accolades a Hall of Fame coach hopes to rest his laurels on.

Can't argue with the article's assertions. I want to argue with them, but the truth is I can't.

I feel for the people who went to Madison Square Garden thinking they'd see Tennessee make it to at least the Elite Eight. I really do. That had to be an expensive trip, and then to have to watch the Vols go out like that, that'd weigh on my thoughts. I've gone to NCAA regionals in the past, but I can't imagine trusting Tennessee enough to spend that kind of money on it. Even if they got ranked and did well most of the year, these consistent tournament exits would be there in the back of my mind the whole time.

There was a total lack of effort last night by ON. Against Duke, in the second half, he went off and carried Tennessee. In this game, he was always looking to pass at the top of the key, even when the defense back off. Good shooting is contagious, just like poor shooting is as well. And of course, the obligatory, the refs made some bad calls against us, but not enough to make the difference in the game.

I hope Barnes quits not because he is horrible like some of you say.I hope he does to prove to you naysayers that actually believe we could get a top notch coach,it's not happening people not here Barnes is the best we have had but if he leaves and we get what some of you will call a savior and we suck ass for next five years I will laugh like hell watching the same people say what happened

Given 5 days of prep time, I would say the game is on him partially. Again the players were not focused and rattled.

Last edited:
I hope Barnes quits not because he is horrible like some of you say.I hope he does to prove to you naysayers that actually believe we could get a top notch coach,it's not happening people not here Barnes is the best we have had but if he leaves and we get what some of you will call a savior and we suck ass for next five years I will laugh like hell watching the same people say what happened
What happens if he retires and they hire someone who leads us to an Elite 8? Can we laugh at you for being such a Barnes sheep?

To me, not having ZZ cost us, not only with how he plays, but with how his absence makes the others feel they have to play. Vescovi and JJJ had more pressure to perform. I believe that’s why they were tight in the game. When it came down to how those two played, I knew it was a matter of time.
That said, I’m very thankful for this season. Many quality wins will overshadow the questionable losses. I’m also thankful for CRB and what he stands for. There’s a reason other coaches hold him in high esteem and he’s on the rules committee and so forth. Yes, he makes mistakes, but the lack of finish around the rim is what cost us last night, IMO.
I tell you one thing- the local Clemson media down here have no trouble bashing Tennessee and CRB, particularly this morning, calling them “thugs” and how CRB is the worst tournament coach in NCAA history, etc., but it’s ironic, coming from a fan base whose best coach in history was CRB, and the guy they have now couldn’t make it out of the first round of the NIT at HOME as the #1 seed. I guess they have to have something to crow about since they’ve been totally absent since the beatdown in Miami and the softball loss to Tennessee.
2 weeks ago, I was at my son’s baseball tournament and wearing a UT shirt. A guy got out of his seat and approached me, and said “ I told my wife that it’s amazing how many Tennessee fans we see since the bowl game.” I said “ Well, I told my wife that it’s amazing how few Clemson fans we’ve seen since that bowl game.” He sat right back down and I went on my way 😂
Bottom line from my perspective is- CRB loves Tennessee and I think he still has the itch to coach. He develops players into men and we have it much better than many other schools. I’m excited to see what the future holds. Go Big Orange!!

How many people think we would be having this discussion if we had ZZ on the court last night?

VN Store

Back