Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been saying it. But get yelled at. He doesn’t do enough defensively for Barnes so he doesn’t play. Barnes gets the dog out of offensive players and wants all defensive minded. It’s why we will never go past the Sweet 16 ever with him even with the easiest path ever.

You're right. It's called a short list for a reason. But UT is now a desirable destination. All the marquee programs are winning and have the resources they need to take the next step. No one really thinks Barnes will be fired-- people are just unhappy MBB can't seem to go further in the postseason when schools like Bama are doing it.
What’s the common denominator? Love Barnes for elevating the program but we will never go far with him in March. Easiest path ever and still couldn’t do it.

Offense was always going to be the death of this team. We survived it as long as we could. It got us in the second weekend.

This was mostly a successful season but at some point Barnes needs to recruit some shot creators. This team just didn’t have any. Hope Dilione is the real deal and I hope Phillips sticks around for year two - for his sake as well as ours.

Go vols.
It’s not players, it’s philosophy. Listening to XM yesterday and it’s almost like they knew we had a good chance of losing. Big BBall analyst said Barnes offense is below average to bad but his defense is outstanding. But this can only carry you so far in March and why his record is what it is.

The difficult part is he’s one of the best people in the game… CBB is a dirty business. But in the end the results are what carry the most water. Being 27-27 in tournament games after 20+ years at Texas and Tennessee isn’t exactly what you’d love to see
Barnes is going to put a team in the tournament. Will FAU coach do the same? You got to get there to win it. I root for him so hard to win it all--and if for some ridiculous reason he doesn't retire here-- I will root for him to win it alll wherever he goes. He deserves it.

oh stop it, Cucker.

We overachieved, this team was NOT very talented.

I'm happy for them. Not making excuses. FAU was fast, more athletic, and could shoot. Achilles.
Philips - 5 star
Edwards - 4 star
JJJ - 5 star
Vescovi - 4 star
Etc.

We are talented. Not coached well on offense. FAU was not good at shooting, they just got every rebound and kept chunking it up. We should have blown them out.

Yeah, but there are other attractive jobs out there that have struggled to find consistency (Florida, Indiana, etc). Texas took a while to find their footing post Barnes.

I just really can’t understand fans holding Tennessee basketball to a standard it has never reached.

As sad a statement as this is, it’s just the reality of this program. It’s really hard for me to blame not getting to the Elite 8 on Barnes when this program has done it exactly once in 115 years of playing college basketball. Lord only knows how many coaches, players and athletic directors have come through Knoxville since 1908 and nothing changes.

Even if you just go back the roughly 60 years to the current tournament era, this is what we have accomplished:
48932F90-11AF-4FBF-98CA-1DE843F7F2C1.jpeg
I really hate to say it, but last night was as good as it gets for this program. Enjoy your trip up the elevator to the highest floor our key card has access to. Sure, we have unbelievable fan support, facilities, and money that most smaller schools can’t match, and yet in just the last 20 years places like George Mason, VCU, Loyola-Chicago, Butler, and Wichita State have made it to the Final Four, a level we’ve never reached. I’m not a Rick Barnes sheep by any means, but I have a hard time putting last night on him when he hits the invisible ceiling this program seems to have on it, like so many coaches before him.

UNC, a blue blood program, didn't even make the tournament. KY and Pearl's Auburn didn't make it out of the first weekend. Purdue became only the second #1 seed to lose to a #16 seed. Yet people here are bitching because we didn't make it out of the Sweet 16.
I don’t think it’s the fact of where we fell in the tournament. It’s the sense of how we lose the games. It’s a common theme with a CRB team. It’s either really exciting to watch or just embarrassing.

Reactions: volbeast33
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but we did that all year. At some point it has to go somewhere, perhaps at $5 million dollar man?
I think during the regular season…. Our defensive intensity over powers team… in the tourney…. Everyone’s intensity increases so the difference isn’t as great….we struggle moving the ball and getting guys good,open shots.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
I remain amazed at the blind faith that if we lose Barnes, the next coach we sign will automatically be better.

Nothing in Tennessee’s history supports that.

There are plenty of examples of other solid basketball programs who have struggled to find a good coaching fit over many years (Indiana, etc.).
I understand your bvs. But this new administration have been lights out. So I for one have full faith they will do what’s best. In Danny I trust

As sad a statement as this is, it’s just the reality of this program. It’s really hard for me to blame not getting to the Elite 8 on Barnes when this program has done it exactly once in 115 years of playing college basketball. Lord only knows how many coaches, players and athletic directors have come through Knoxville since 1908 and nothing changes.

Even if you just go back the roughly 60 years to the current tournament era, this is what we have accomplished:
View attachment 542751
I really hate to say it, but last night was as good as it gets for this program. Enjoy your trip up the elevator to the highest floor our key card has access to. Sure, we have unbelievable fan support, facilities, and money that most smaller schools can’t match, and yet in just the last 20 years places like George Mason, VCU, Loyola-Chicago, Butler, and Wichita State have made it to the Final Four, a level we’ve never reached. I’m not a Rick Barnes sheep by any means, but I have a hard time putting last night on him when he hits the invisible ceiling this program seems to have on it, like so many coaches before him.
Coaches before him? We hired Devoe, Houston, O’Neill, Green, Peterson, Pearl, Martin, Tyndall, Barnes.

Barnes and Pearl are the only two decent hires since Mears…. There is no magical season over our program.

View attachment 542751
What?!?! lol! This program has the resources to win a Championship. If Loyala, Wichita, and others you named can mark it with half the resources or less than we can.

I’ve never been the CEO of a company so I guess I’ve hit my ceiling. Yikes man! Come on. Florida Atlantic has never done anything in the tournament ever in its history. Yet they have made as many elite 8s as us.

Any major program with resources can win if they commit to it even if it’s never happened in their history. South Carolina football is always viewed as mediocre because they never win the SEC. Do you think if Kirby had taken the job and Georgia didn’t fire Richt that they wouldn’t have a title right now?

I will try it. Does having arthritis in my hips give you any pause in me doing so many reps? Thanks, Doc. So much more helpful than these other morans who just point and laugh at my toothpick legs.

Start really low and slowly work up the number of reps. Stop at your thighs level/parallel to the ground. Don’t try for full deep squats. The deep squat puts more stress through the hip joint.

If your hips don’t like it then it’s not the right exercise for you…

Reactions: Volsdeep4
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back