Joe Milton outlook?

He can hit the homerun throws ( it looks like the over throw issues have settled down some). But I really worry that he’s not consistent enough to methodically work the ball down the field and sustain enough drives, when the defense tries to take away the deep threats. He doesn’t seem to have Hookers elusiveness or innate ability to know when to tuck it and pick up yards on the ground, maybe that was the coaching staff telling him not to, as we had no one behind him after Hookers injury. Aside from his age, he seems to have better measurables than AR15, and if he has a good year NFL is going to salivate over him.
Yeah, I worry about his running ability and movement in the pocket. It seems we are so much better with a mobile QB. Well Peyton was a statue but there’s not many like him now in college.

Reactions: VOLnVANDYland
I think Joe has a solid to very good year I just wish he was more mobile. Hooker got out of trouble in the pocket so many times and broke off on a 25 or 40 yard run. I don’t see Joe doing that.
He can move. He just needs to be decisive.

Reactions: Ratvol
Lol, I can’t argue with that take.😂. I have high hopes for whoever takes over as starting QB, but we all know that if GA’s offense struggles or vastly underperforms next season, many will blame the new QB and/or the new OC Bobo.

And honestly, blaming them would likely be fair. With the talent GA has, it is about as good of an opportunity to succeed as anyone is likely to get. If you can’t perform very well or run an outstanding offense with this kind of talent, then you’re probably not the right guy. I’m excited, I think things will go very well, but time will tell.
IMHO, Bobo was a mistake. Talent may cover it but he's pretty average as an OC. But I wouldn't have expected Smart to get very innovative on O. He's old school and with the talent available in Georgia he can succeed with it.

Absolutely, that does make it fun and add to our anticipation. I agree that it’s highly possible that Joe has a great season. He certainly has the physical tools and if he gets the rest together he could be special in a CJH offense. If he can make correct reads and improve a bit with some touch passing, the sky could be the limit honestly. I’m not educated on how TN’s O-line looks, but they will likely play a big part for Joe’s success. As will an effective running game.
Just based on what we know today... I will be surprised if UT does not improve or hold at every position group except possibly OL. I don't think there will be a huge drop off on the OL but Wright and Carvin were very good players. OTOH, a program's OL development usually takes 2 or 3 years to really kick in.

I don't know how UT will stack up against this year's schedule. You can never predict injuries and while UT is much deeper than they were that could still cost them. But this roster is light years ahead of Heupel's first one in pretty much every respect and IMO a good bit ahead of last year's roster.

Just based on what we know today... I will be surprised if UT does not improve or hold at every position group except possibly OL. I don't think there will be a huge drop off on the OL but Wright and Carvin were very good players. OTOH, a program's OL development usually takes 2 or 3 years to really kick in.

I don't know how UT will stack up against this year's schedule. You can never predict injuries and while UT is much deeper than they were that could still cost them. But this roster is light years ahead of Heupel's first one in pretty much every respect and IMO a good bit ahead of last year's roster.
I agree. I think we are more talented and deeper at almost every position. One of the positions which I am in a wait and see approach on is DL. We lost really good production from that group. The position I am most excited about is QB. If (BIG IF) Bazooka Joe can play up to his talent, we will be better at QB than we were with Hooker.

Reactions: sjt18
Smells like we got a faction of people eager for JoMil to make the slightest error, so they can start yelling and demanding he be benched for Nico or whatever other QB we have. Maybe even drag Doug Flutie out of retirement to replace Joe.
View attachment 541116
Well the backup QB is always the most popular guy on campus if the first team guy isn’t playing great. That will be multiplied 10x w/ Nico on the bench if Joe struggles. The thing I think Joe has to improve upon is his decision making in the pocket. He can’t hold the ball too long and take sacks . Our offense is so much less effective if we get behind the chains on first down. I really want us to be a run heavy team this season, and setup the pass w/ the run .

Well the backup QB is always the most popular guy on campus if the first team guy isn’t playing great. That will be multiplied 10x w/ Nico on the bench if Joe struggles. The thing I think Joe has to improve upon is his decision making in the pocket. He can’t hold the ball too long and take sacks . Our offense is so much less effective if we get behind the chains on first down. I really want us to be a run heavy team this season, and setup the pass w/ the run .

Patience, grasshopper. The cricket and the springtails remain oblivious to our capacities at present.

I agree. I think we are more talented and deeper at almost every position. One of the positions which I am in a wait and see approach on is DL. We lost really good production from that group. The position I am most excited about is QB. If (BIG IF) Bazooka Joe can play up to his talent, we will be better at QB than we were with Hooker.
I'm liking the WRs and RBs too. I know the assumption is that losing Hyatt leaves a big hole but I think that group needed more balance anyway. Thorton by reports seems to be a good bit faster than Tillman. That just seems to create a group more difficult to defend. You have multiple guys who can take the top off like Hyatt did.

Getting more excited about the LB group too for the first time in quite a while.

I get what you are saying about the DL but I think both of us are old enough to remember 2009 when the Vols had only 2 true DTs on the entire roster. They had Wes Brown, a natural DE with bad knees, at one DT and Hughes in reserve behind Dan Williams. It got even worse the next year. Fulmer once rightly said that DTs are worth their weight in gold. One of the harbingers of his downfall was the inability to recruit DTs.

By my count, the Vols currently have Eason, Thomas, West, Simmons, Hobbs, Terry, Norman-Lott, and Garland to play the two interior spots. That's 6 big, talented bodies before they even have to look at Fr... but the Fr may not be that patient. There are other DEs who are big enough and physical enough to slide inside.

To me this feels more "normal" when it comes to the DL. Every year and every program there will be guys who run out of eligibility. All programs need guys to step up. To me this looks like a group with the talent to do it.

I'm liking the WRs and RBs too. I know the assumption is that losing Hyatt leaves a big hole but I think that group needed more balance anyway. Thorton by reports seems to be a good bit faster than Tillman. That just seems to create a group more difficult to defend. You have multiple guys who can take the top off like Hyatt did.

Getting more excited about the LB group too for the first time in quite a while.

I get what you are saying about the DL but I think both of us are old enough to remember 2009 when the Vols had only 2 true DTs on the entire roster. They had Wes Brown, a natural DE with bad knees, at one DT and Hughes in reserve behind Dan Williams. It got even worse the next year. Fulmer once rightly said that DTs are worth their weight in gold. One of the harbingers of his downfall was the inability to recruit DTs.

By my count, the Vols currently have Eason, Thomas, West, Simmons, Hobbs, Terry, Norman-Lott, and Garland to play the two interior spots. That's 6 big, talented bodies before they even have to look at Fr... but the Fr may not be that patient. There are other DEs who are big enough and physical enough to slide inside.

To me this feels more "normal" when it comes to the DL. Every year and every program there will be guys who run out of eligibility. All programs need guys to step up. To me this looks like a group with the talent to do it.
Joseph(s?) is a LB but mostly plays DE, too.

I kinda forgot about him.

You must see a lot of potential in the LBs brought in via the portal?

I wasn't as excited about the LBs until the reports about Telander, Smith, and Carter began to come out. If Perry and Herring take a step forward then UT is solid if not outstanding 3 deep.

IMHO, Beasley IMO should surpass Banks this year. UT didn't have anyone like Pili last fall. One of the reports I saw/read is that Beasley provides emotional leadership while Pili is more of a steady hand.

Reactions: Ratvol and McDad
I was very concerned with all the overthrows during the Vandy game, but he played a very good game against Clemson, which historically has a strong defense, making some great throws, winning MVP. So, I’m expecting a great year for Joe.

Josephs is an edge all the way…no linebacker.

Reactions: McDad
For all of last year, Joe was primarily in during mop up duty where game situations did not warrant a lot of risk making plays running the ball, or when he was the starter with walkon backups. Bet the instructions and gameplans did not give him a lot of latitude to improvise. Not a big surprise we did not see a bunch of designed QB draws or runs putting him at risk. It COULD be a lot different if Nico, with lots more time to pick up the offense after arriving early and having a full spring, shows prepared to pick up the mantel if Joe goes down. Everything could be on the table and we can see what his run abilities really are when it really counts or he has a P5 backup.

To some extent it is likely a lot of his overthrows were putting the ball where ONLY his guy could could get it, or more importantly the other guys could not. Not encouraged to fit it in tight windows. I don't expect him to go Brett Farve on us this year, but do believe more risk will be in play when he starts game, like 50/50 balls and back shoulder throws that HH employed as the starter with backup. Lots of game prep reps with the receivers to develop trust in making the same reads is Key. Will he or won't he?

Right now using his historical plays from his early days or in last years role to establish probabilities is a bit of a reach. The good news is he has the arm to make any throw HH did, so good POSSIBILITIES are out there that don't exist equally for very many if any guys in the NCAA. Gamer skills all TBD. Receivers ability to create windows within the play structure, or when it breaks down too. Also as alluded to, the staff will be tailoring playbooks and gameplans to his strengths. We can start gathering relevant data in the spring, but won't have real facts till the games count. Predictions of doom or Heisman's is a bit of a reach and worthless till then. I am HOPING that we find he is a better short yardage runner than HH, but don't expect him to match his dynamic runs. Really could use better 3rd and 4th down and short conversions.
I've heard a couple people say they would take hendon in a foot race to 20 yards but they would take Milton in a foot race to 60 yards

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I wasn't as excited about the LBs until the reports about Telander, Smith, and Carter began to come out. If Perry and Herring take a step forward then UT is solid if not outstanding 3 deep.

IMHO, Beasley IMO should surpass Banks this year. UT didn't have anyone like Pili last fall. One of the reports I saw/read is that Beasley provides emotional leadership while Pili is more of a steady hand.
Banks isn’t even on the team. He’s gone to the NFL

You're reading comprehension is that bad?
If my reading comprehension is as bad as you think it is, then we need to find a different university to follow because I aced the English classes at UT. Having said that, I clearly didn’t see the context leading up to the post and misread it. For what it’s worth, Beasley=Beasley, Pili > Mitchell, Carter > Banks, Herring > Page.

First off this is not a feeble attempt at trolling, I hope you folks that remember me understand that’s not why I’m here. No, honestly I’d just like your opinions or honest outlooks for Milton. I’d ask the same on my home team forum and while there are a few that try to give honest evaluations there are many more that don’t care and just post something ridiculous and basically just repeat the “overthrow Joe mantra”.

My uneducated opinion, as I very likely know much less about Milton than you folks is that I honestly think he could potentially be very good in CJH’s offense. He looked promising in the bowl game against Clemson. He without doubt has an arm that is capable of making any throw at this level or the next. And it isn’t uncommon in college football to see a QB that struggles early in his career really shine towards the end. And correct me if I’m remembering wrong, but didn’t he beat out Hooker to begin the 2021 season?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a GA fan so I don’t want to see Milton take my Dawgs to school. But I’m also a CFB fan so I’d be pleased to see an overlooked older player get things together and do well. So what are your thoughts VolNation? Can Milton shine in 2023? Seems like a CJH offense is a pretty good setting for him to me.
Honestly I think JM turned the corner against vandy and Clemson. It looked like he finally let go of what has hampered him in the past. I don’t think he’ll be looking over his shoulder much so I think he’ll play a lot more loose and play better. I can see Tennessee having another year like 2022 because the defense will be better and people are going to be surprised at how much better that’s going to make the offense.

I get really tired of hearing this from UT Fans. I would have all the respect in the world for him if he told the voters that they can stick that trophy where the sun does not shine. They are NOT VOTING for him and any of the future TN players to get that award.
That would be absolutely awesome! Let his play on the field do the talking and then let the voters know he's not in it to chase their particular trophy.

Reactions: SaipanVol

VN Store

Back