Tennessee
1. Control the pace (methodical)
2. Limit turnovers
3. Pound it inside
4. Run them off the 3-pt line

FAU
1. Get easy points in transition
2. Collapse the paint on defense
3. Rush our guards (I'm trying press early if I'm FAU)
4. Have to hit some 3s

IMO, keys to the game:
Tennessee
1. Control the pace (methodical)
2. Limit turnovers
3. Pound it inside
4. Run them off the 3-pt line

FAU
1. Get easy points in transition
2. Collapse the paint on defense
3. Rush our guards (I'm trying press early if I'm FAU)
4. Have to hit some 3s

Offensive rebounds (and put-backs) on both ends. FAU isn’t very good at snagging them and TN could eliminate those long scoring droughts by getting them.

Reactions: Lukusw
Why would they not be hyped? This is some of these players last game. Right now I saw the intensity vs Duke that I saw in last years SEC Tournament Championship. I don't think there is a single player not hyped up. I don't think we will have a problem with them not giving a 110%. The only factor I fear is Officiating of which is out of this team's control.
I fear the 3. Live by the 3 and die by the 3. I've seen some bad shooting streaks over the season. Kentucky game in Lexington comes to mind. The need the "hot hand" scoring.

Reactions: berryvol
You have to consider the source. The SI article was written by Pat Forde who is a notorious TN hater. Check out his Twitter feed. He is forever hurt by the whole Greg Schiano fiasco.

Outkick was founded by Clay Travis who is a huge TN fan.

The objective sites (ESPN/USA Today/Yahoo) have TN at #6 Or #8. Seems fair. They also mostly have us above FAU, KSU and MSU. Not that that means anything other than the path is there if we play to our capabilities to make our first Final Four.
Excellent points. I didn’t see who wrote them. That explains it.

I just saw the most ridiculous analysis/ranking of the Sweet Sixteen that one could possibly do. Sports Illustrated ranked us 15 out of 16 and only ahead of Princeton. Outkick placed us third out if 16. I could understand being 3 to 5 positions apart but to be that different? I guess what they say is true. Opinions are like rear ends. Everybody got one. Now whether they make sense is another question entirely.
Billboard material

Reactions: Delmar
I just saw the most ridiculous analysis/ranking of the Sweet Sixteen that one could possibly do. Sports Illustrated ranked us 15 out of 16 and only ahead of Princeton. Outkick placed us third out if 16. I could understand being 3 to 5 positions apart but to be that different? I guess what they say is true. Opinions are like rear ends. Everybody got one. Now whether they make sense is another question entirely.

So we are not 5.5 point favorites with a 75% chance of winning as the bookies have said? The SI quote makes us the underdog.

Thx. I did like HH very much. But life is very very good here in SE Asia. I do not miss all the hate and turbulence in America today.

Streetball with trampolines I will pass but thanks for letting me know TV is struggling for things to show
images

You do know that FAU beat Memphis. Memphis beat aTm, Candy, Auburn, Ole Miss, played Houston close twice and beat them in the tournament. They also lost a close 3 pt game to bama. Tells me they're plenty good enough for a 9 seed.
Also FAU got beat by Ole Miss by 13 who finished second to last in the SEC. We can play that game where we show opponents and who they beat, or we can just agree that this is a totally different game. It’s a sweet 16 matchup with 2 teams that are undefeated in the NCAA tournament. One will go home and the other will move on. This will likely be a game that stays within 10 points the entire night either way.

Elite 8 is downright terrifying lol. I'll just sleep for that game. It's either Draymond Green and Michigan State Elite 8 flashbacks with Tom mr March Izzo or the best guard in the country who can pull up from the parking lot and drop dimes with his eyes closed. Both are terrible matchups for us to reach the final 4.

KState is my (distant) 2nd favorite team due to wife and wife's family. I've watched them a lot this year. Tang and his kids are pretty likable. That said, KState is scary because of a) Nowell and b) their ability to turn it on and just be lights out. The flip side of that is, they can also be way off and look terrible. Their game against KU in Lawrence was awful. They looked like a high school team (KU didn't even play well that game). If we're on and they're off, we beat them easily. If they're on, though, look out.

But we gotta beat FAU first.

Also FAU got beat by Ole Miss by 13 who finished second to last in the SEC. We can play that game where we show opponents and who they beat, or we can just agree that this is a totally different game. It’s a sweet 16 matchup with 2 teams that are undefeated in the NCAA tournament. One will go home and the other will move on. This will likely be a game that stays within 10 points the entire night either way.

The key to this game is Tennessee more than FAU. We can't come out flat and lay an egg like we have so many times. We always come out tough against the big boys...we need to bring that same intensity against FAU.

I do think all this media noise chastising Tennessee for being "dirty" against Duke might be a good thing. Hopefully, it lights a fire and causes Tennessee to come out on a mission, feeling disrespected.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
So we are not 5.5 point favorites with a 75% chance of winning as the bookies have said? The SI quote makes us the underdog.
This is just click bait...If you click on it then you took the bait.
This stuff will drive you crazy and get you to try to analyze and justify why they did something or said something that stupid.

What are the other 1000 sites stating? Not the same BS we are 4 - 7 in all the predictions I have seen and a higher % than I expected to make the F4

No way they can justify what they are thinking with one exception. It draws you in to their site so that they can make money with their ads.

Stick with Vegas analysis. They have us winning by 5.5 which is an ok line but it is a a bet that marks a point that can lure you in.

Vegas makes money either way but they know the cut point and that is their business without Ads.

This is the only thing you need to post on the bulletin board in the locker room for motivation.

Last edited:
This is just click bait...If you click on it then you took the bait.
This stuff will drive you crazy and get you to try to analyze and justify why they did something or said something that stupid.

What are the other 1000 sites stating? Not the same BS we are 4 - 7 in all the predictions I have seen and a higher % than I expected to make the F4

No way they can justify what they are thinking with one exception. It draws you in to their site so that they can make money with their ads.

Stick with Vegas analysis. They have us winning by 5.5 which is an ok line but it is a a bet that marks a point that can lure you in.

Vegas makes money either way but they know the cut point and that is their business without Ads.

This is the only thing you need to post on the bulletin board in the locker room for motivation.
Like I said earlier in this thread, Pat Forde wrote this article and never misses a chance to bash TN. He also picks FAU as an “underdog” to pick and provides this little nugget:

“If FAU doesn’t back down and the officials don’t swallow their whistles, the Owls have the skill and depth to play with a Tennessee team that struggles offensively. FAU shoots a ton of threes and will need to make a decent percentage of them, which can happen. The Vols can’t count on another 27-point game from Olivier Nkamhoua, who has historically failed to follow one big offensive performance with another.“

So another dig at us being thugs and the refs. No mention of the #1 defense…

Not saying this isn’t “clickbait” but Forde is consistent in his Vol hatred and even if he doesn’t believe we will lose, he certainly wants us to lose.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Like I said earlier in this thread, Pat Forde wrote this article and never misses a chance to bash TN. He also picks FAU as an “underdog” to pick and provides this little nugget:

“If FAU doesn’t back down and the officials don’t swallow their whistles, the Owls have the skill and depth to play with a Tennessee team that struggles offensively. FAU shoots a ton of threes and will need to make a decent percentage of them, which can happen. The Vols can’t count on another 27-point game from Olivier Nkamhoua, who has historically failed to follow one big offensive performance with another.“

So another dig at us being thugs and the refs. No mention of the #1 defense…

Not saying this isn’t “clickbait” but Forde is consistent in his Vol hatred and even if he doesn’t believe we will lose, he certainly wants us to lose.
Nothing wrong in what you quoted? We’ve repeatedly read the same statements a thousand times on VN.

Yes, definitely BVS—I’m used to disappointment under Barnes. Terrible matchup for us too. This is a poor man’s Mizzou.

FAU's 7 man rotation that play 20+ minutes
Martin - 6'2"
Davis - 6'4"
Greenlee - 6'0"
Boyd - 6'3"
Gaffney - 6'3"
Forrest - 6'0"
Goldin - 7'1"

Mizzou's 7 man rotation that plays 20 or more minutes
Honor - 5'10"
Brown - 6'7"
Hodge - 6'4"
East - 6'3"
Gholston - 6'5"
Carter - 6'6"
Mosley - 6'5"

Mizzou is also a run & gun style offense, they create 10.2 steals per game, average 15.9 assists per game, their pace comes from getting out in transition off turnovers, they were 3rd in the country with 592 opponent turnovers.

FAU speeds up opponents but doesn't generate turnovers or transition offense, they instead simply take quicker shots in their half court and speed opponent's up to do the same. They create just 6.7 steals per game and only average 14.6 assists per game, opponents are only turning it over 12.6 times per game against them and they were 93rd with 455 opponent turnovers.

FDU was the "poor man's" version of Mizzou only much smaller.

We'll know if we're in FAU's head just by their starting lineup and their early subs, they've spent the bulk of the season playing just 2 guys that are over 6'4" on a regular basis. Those 2 guys, Vladislav Goldin their 7'1" Russian who typically starts and then Giancarlo Rosado at 6'8" rarely starts, but has played in every game and gets about 17 minutes a game.

So if we see Brenen Lorient, Isaiah Gaines or Tre Carroll play (3 guys 6'7" or taller) then we'll know they're trying to match our size and playing into our style. But all 3 of those players averaged under 6 mpg, so we should be able to take advantage of their inexperience.

If they play the smaller guards for the 1-4 then we'll know they are just going to try and beat us playing their style. We should be driving to the rim and trying to feed the interior either way. If we get some success rebounding and scoring by our big 4 then we'll be in control of this game regardless of who they play.

VN Store

Back