Game Thread: 2023 Women's NCAA Tournament...Round of 16: Lady Vols v Va. Tech...Sat @ 6:30 ESPN2

Had Key but no Franklin, Hollingshead, or Jackson.

We really did not have Key, we had a weakened, ill shell of her former self. Jillian H. has found her groove as has Striplin. And everyone is locked into their role. I am looking forward to this match-up. Revenge is a dish best served with orange

Last edited:
So glad Puckett had a great game!! Want to call out by name Wynn and Powell as well!
Wynn had her best game ever! Think we got so see her speed and I believe her stroke looked better fro 10-25 feet! She can elevate for sure. Powell seems much more comfortable the last month or so!. I tried to really isolate my watch of Justine when she was in. She seemed still not getting switched all the time on defense but definitely moving better without the ball and definitely mixed it up inside a couple of times! So happy for everyone. BK needs some more minutes!

This victory was incredibly impressive. The LVs demolished a hot team fresh from an upset of a #5 seed. Few would have a predicted a 40+ win on a night when Rickea had maybe her worst game of the season (good time to get that out of her system) and Jordan H. was also a little below par.

If this game marks, the re-emergence of Sara Bucketts that would bode incredibly well for the LVs. So nice to see her smile. Yes, everyone may have underestimated Powell. She is figuring out how to play in this system. Did not see many of her former bad habits, like over dribbling and she finally looks confident in her shot.

Wynn for the win in those closing minutes!!!

Last edited:
You're funny. UNC lost to Ohio State by 2 today--at Ohio State--while we beat a Toledo team that was completely overmatched physically and didn't look like it even belonged in the tournament. I've no idea how they won their first game. But if you want to believe that this was a great Vol victory, I won't try to disabuse you of your fantasy. Banghart done as much or more than Harper and she's not working with a tradition of 8 national titles.

Ooooh, Negavoling after a 40 pt win to advance to the Sweet 16. That is so PRECIOUS!!!!

Because they are biggest draw in wcb at the moment there fanbase is one of the best right now and they are going to bring in the casual fan so it’s good business to be in South Carolina for the bottom line $$$$$$$$$$$$$
I get that. But they could have held that region in Atlanta or Charlotte. Not give them home court all the way through. Seems a bit unfair to the other teams. Makes me pull for an upset even more.

Reactions: Lucy and chuckiepoo
A facsimile of the last two games....Our girls are moving like a tremendous machine!
tkwnubn.jpg

sweet 16 matchups: (teams we have played in the regular season)
No. 1 South Carolina (Greenville Region 1)
No. 4 UCLA (Greenville Region 1)

No. 2 Maryland (Greenville Region 1)
No. 3 Notre Dame (Greenville Region 1)

No. 4 Villanova (Greenville Region 2)
No. 9 Miami (Fl.) (Greenville Region 2)

No. 3 LSU (Greenville Region 2)
No. 2 Utah (Greenville Region 2)

No. 1 Virginia Tech (Seattle Region 3)
No. 4 Tennessee (Seattle Region 3)

No. 2 UConn (Seattle Region 3)
No. 3 Ohio State (Seattle Region 3)

No. 2 Iowa (Seattle Region 4)
No. 6 Colorado (Seattle Region 4)

No. 8 Ole Miss (Seattle Region 4)
No. 5 Louisville (Seattle Region 4)

I get that. But they could have held that region in Atlanta or Charlotte. Not give them home court all the way through. Seems a bit unfair to the other teams. Makes me pull for an upset even more.
Kinda like the old days of Nashville and Chatty.....amirite? If not mistaken, the final 4 has been played in Nashville and Knoxville as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
Last night's game was among the most fun games I've ever attended at TBA. The number of people there -- probably fewer than 7,000 -- was not the most impressive in number, but everything was going so well and so many of our players were having moments of greatness throughout the game that the crowd stayed really enthusiastic the entire 40 minutes. I've attended a lot of games, and I can tell you it's pretty rare to witness that level of sustained enthusiasm. The players had to love it. 🧡

Last night's game was among the most fun games I've ever attended at TBA. The number of people there -- probably fewer than 7,000 -- was not the most impressive in number, but everything was going so well and so many of our players were having moments of greatness throughout the game that the crowd stayed really enthusiastic the entire 40 minutes. I've attended a lot of games, and I can tell you it's pretty rare to witness that level of sustained enthusiasm. The players had to love it. 🧡
Good timing. In another thread, I asked those in attendance if they thought the crowd was larger than the 5,486 that was in the boxscore. I thought it was more than that.

I totally agree...it was wonderful to watch ❤...Strip gave me a "rush" we she hit the 3pt after a timeout...That was a great and confident call by KJH...They ALL were so very happy and excited...Let's keep it rolln'...LVFL 🧡💙🏀💙🧡

If UCLA wins tonight we will have played 8 of the teams in the Sweet 16.

Talk about a tough schedule. To have already faced half of the top 16 teams in the entire country is wild.
All the teams left in Lady Vols Region beat us in regular season ......Ohio State (87-75 );Va Tech ( 59-56 ) and Uconn ( 84-67 ).Lile someone posted earlier this is a revenge tour.

My hope is Ohio State takes it to Uconn and we beat Va Tech......if we can contain Va Tech center ang great guard we can beat Va Tech ,,,,especially with Jackson back in lineup ( she did not play in 1st game ) ...Key shut down their center so that needs to be considered in the equation.

Kinda like the old days of Nashville and Chatty.....amirite?
All SEC tournaments, men and women’s, should be held every year in Nashville. For one thing Vandy has no fan support so no homecourt advantage for them, as centrally located as you can get, and there is no place else in the south to have as much fun for several days.
Even the Stanley Cup announcers said that Tune Town had the best one mile pub crawl they had ever seen!!

Good timing. In another thread, I asked those in attendance if they thought the crowd was larger than the 5,486 that was in the boxscore. I thought it was more than that.

Funny story. When my friend and I got up to the scanner to scan our e-tickets (both on my phone through AllVolls Ticketmaster) as soon as my tickets would pop up an error message would come up. Never happened to me before. The ticket guy tried and tried to get it to stay on screen, but no go... so he eventually just let us in since he could see they were there.

It bugged me the entire first half that we wouldn't be counted as attending unless those tickets were scanned, so I hauled my @ss back to the gate at halftime and, that time, it worked. With my mild OCD I might not have slept last night if I hadn't been counted! 🤣

P.S. I love me some Tennessee Lady Vols. 🧡

This victory was incredibly impressive. The LVs demolished a hot team fresh from an upset of a #5 seed. Few would have a predicted a 40+ win on a night when Rickea had maybe her worst game of the season (good time to get that out of her system) and Jordan H. was also a little below par.

If this game marks, the re-emergence of Sara Bucketts that would bode incredibly well for the LVs. So nice to see her smile. Yes, everyone may have underestimated Powell. She is figuring out how to play in this system. Did not see many of her former bad habits, like over dribbling and she finally looks confident in her shot.

Wynn for the win in those closing minutes!!!
I have different take on Jackson's night .I thought she had a very good game.....go back view the game again ....there were at least 5 times that she could have scored but chose to pass it to an open team mate instead and most all those instances the Lady Vols scored .As the Toledo coach said ,she chose to clog up the inside game with Jackson but the 3's rained down and completely demolished her defensive game plan.So imo Jackson chose to feed teammates and when they hit the shots she kept feeding them ....and I believe she also had a really good game on the defensive end as well

It sure made the crowd happy that both Puckett and Wynn got their points. That huge smile on Sara's face after that first 3 was replicated thousands of times in that arena. And by the time she hit the third I think half of the arena was getting a little misty. It was such a feeling of tremendous relief for her. And it was nearly as special to see Kaiya finally seeing multiple shots go through the hoop. So happy for Wynn!

VN Store

Back