Game Thread: 2023 Women's NCAA Tournament...Round of 16: Lady Vols v Va. Tech...Sat @ 6:30 ESPN2

I have different take on Jackson's night .I thought she had a very good game.....go back view the game again ....there were at least 5 times that she could have scored but chose to pass it to an open team mate instead and most all those instances the Lady Vols scored .As the Toledo coach said ,she chose to clog up the inside game with Jackson but the 3's rained down and completely demolished her defensive game plan.So imo Jackson chose to feed teammates and when they hit the shots she kept feeding them ....and I believe she also had a really good game on the defensive end as well

I agree with you about her all round game. I should have been more specific. She had an off shooting night (for her) 5 for 13 = 38% but she did make some excellent passes.

I have different take on Jackson's night .I thought she had a very good game.....go back view the game again ....there were at least 5 times that she could have scored but chose to pass it to an open team mate instead and most all those instances the Lady Vols scored .As the Toledo coach said ,she chose to clog up the inside game with Jackson but the 3's rained down and completely demolished her defensive game plan.So imo Jackson chose to feed teammates and when they hit the shots she kept feeding them ....and I believe she also had a really good game on the defensive end as well

Yes, I said the same. I actually think this was Jackson’s best defensive game of the year. Finally saw her getting her butt down and moving her feet. She really wanted it and it really showed.

Every time she ended up on Lockett she was totally stymied. She couldn’t get by Rickea and couldn’t shoot over her. Kea blocked her at least twice, once emphatically.

Lockett is a tough check and several other players that guarded her couldn’t keep her in front. Horston was on her a lot of the game and did a nice job. She still got hers but wasn’t efficient.

Last edited:
I am predicting Tennessee 72 Virginia Tech 58 We have improved dramatically since first game just need to stop big girl for VT
Ok ok i had 74- 57 just the depth we have i dnt see how they keep up with us if we play like we hve the past 2 games, VT plays 7 players, a slow pace offensively, and defensively like a containment cuz they dnt wanna get people in foul trouble so if we come out turning it over its on us not them....but that guard amoore (walker,powell,horston whoever has the assigment) need to follow her to the bathroom if need be lol

I am predicting Tennessee 72 Virginia Tech 58 We have improved dramatically since first game just need to stop big girl for VT

They have a nice two man game with Kitley and Amoore. We did a nice job on Kitley and Amoore in the first game. It was really Traylor that burned us up.

Marta played 33 minutes in that game which was unusual. We were without Jackson, Hollingshed and Franklin. Striplin had not come along yet and Key was actively very sick (that was the last game she played)

Kitley is going to think she has it easier because Tamari is out. Don’t think she’s ready for Karo and Jill though. I think Jill is a great matchup for her on both ends. I’d like to see us try to tag her with a couple fouls early, make her defend a little. With Hollingshed and Striplins’ ability to hit the 3 she is going to have to come out of the paint. Something she did not have to do in the first matchup guarding a half-speed Tamari Key.

I hope they view it as a Redemption Tour, not revenge. Don't Give A S about them, just focus on riding this effing wave that took all this time to come. The fact we've seen em before just means better video and scouting.

She's not shooting well. Of course not shooting well for her is a day at the office for most. Good time to shake that off and who knew we could compensate so well. Teams are making it really hard for her but she'll figure it out.

Maybe it's frustration, but Rickea is getting a little push-off happy, needs to be a careful. That may have to do with the 3 opposing players who have her in a vice grip I guess. Feel like we haven't seen a one foot fade away in a while.

Speaking of feet, no news is good news about JH ankle?
It sure made the crowd happy that both Puckett and Wynn got their points. That huge smile on Sara's face after that first 3 was replicated thousands of times in that arena. And by the time she hit the third I think half of the arena was getting a little misty. It was such a feeling of tremendous relief for her. And it was nearly as special to see Kaiya finally seeing multiple shots go through the hoop. So happy for Wynn!
What a happy ending for the TBA crowd, whatever the hell size. Fairytale ending for the least of these my teammates to lead the way! KJH stock on the rise. Just bought time and distance. Of course also did that with the returning players. Remember how tenacious that lil guard with the french braid was?

I hope they view it as a Redemption Tour, not revenge. Don't Give A S about them, just focus on riding this effing wave that took all this time to come. The fact we've seen em before just means better video and scouting.

She's not shooting well. Of course not shooting well for her is a day at the office for most. Good time to shake that off and who knew we could compensate so well. Teams are making it really hard for her but she'll figure it out.

Maybe it's frustration, but Rickea is getting a little push-off happy, needs to be a careful. That may have to do with the 3 opposing players who have her in a vice grip I guess. Feel like we haven't seen a one foot fade away in a while.

Speaking of feet, no news is good news about JH ankle?

What a happy ending for the TBA crowd, whatever the hell size. Fairytale ending for the least of these my teammates to lead the way! KJH stock on the rise. Just bought time and distance. Of course also did that with the returning players. Remember how tenacious that lil guard with the french braid was?

On twitter, maria cornelius said that Jordan is fine.

Great team win. Loved seeing everyone contributing in multiple ways. As others have mentioned, Powell is really hitting her stride, and Jill keeps improving. She and Rickea passing much better out of double teams to find open teammates. Karoline and Puckett hitting open shots, Walker being her steady, glue-player, unsung self. Justine showing progress with her movement, versatlity, and passing, looking much more comfortable. The light bulb coming on for Kaiya with lots of controlled offense and defense. I was also impressed that BK and Edie kept running the offense instead of jacking up shots just because they were in late. Great discipline.

Have to shout out to Jordy and Rickea especially for their unselfish play. Those ladies love to win and don't care who gets the points. And their threat draws so much attention that it opens up shots for teammates. Just great to see both of them getting to experience a great tournament.

As Edie said, "Love this team!"

Creek, I look for Jilly to make another big leap next season, improving her ability to finish under the basket. Right now that's the only area needing quite a bit of work, but MAN! Has she ever been huge for us this season! Hollingshead, Striplin and Franklin each complement each other so well, coming strong with different strengths. A lot is said about our two honorable mention all-Americans, but those three have done a lot to make me happy this year. Oh... and Karo's ponytail deserves a mention as well after the unselfish sacrifice it made against Kentucky. 😎

A facsimile of the last two games....Our girls are moving like a tremendous machine!
tkwnubn.jpg
And MadtownVol posted above abut the Belmont nail biter! (Different Belmont, I know). Thought that was funny.

Big Red. Awesome.

Creek, I look for Jilly to make another big leap next season, improving her ability to finish under the basket. Right now that's the only area needing quite a bit of work, but MAN! Has she ever been huge for us this season! Hollingshead, Striplin and Franklin each complement each other so well, coming strong with different strengths. A lot is said about our two honorable mention all-Americans, but those three have done a lot to make me happy this year. Oh... and Karo's ponytail deserves a mention as well after the unselfish sacrifice it made against Kentucky. 😎

Speaking of Jilly 🙂, I was wondering what name the LVs call her. I occasionally yell support for her in the stands as in "way to go Jill" but rather use her preferred name (fun if it is Jilly). There is an occasional player that seems particularly endearing, and she is definitely one of them along with Horston.

We can’t relax and rest on last nights performance. We have to continue to have that intensity and hustle. And to stay away from silly turnovers. But I like how we’re playing, we just have to keep it up. We have to stay focused and keep up our intensity. GBO

Speaking of Jilly 🙂, I was wondering what name the LVs call her. I occasionally yell support for her in the stands as in "way to go Jill" but rather use her preferred name (fun if it is Jilly). There is an occasional player that seems particularly endearing, and she is definitely one of them along with Horston.

I think I heard Horston call her Jilly once. That's where I got it.

I know, I know, i was rightfully corrected. I was just focusing on her shooting (and should have specified that point) but her overall game on defense and passing was quite good.

She was five of thirteen from the field, 0 of 1 from 3. 38.5% certainly isn't bad, but I agree, not up to her typical shooting. She filled up the stat line, however, with 6 rebounds, 2 of 2 FT's (she usually gets to the line more than that), assists and a block. I think she just started feeding the 3 point shooters who were hot. Threes are better than twos if you can make em.

Lady Vols vs Saint Louis was the most watched game of the first round!

It seems airing on ABC gives access to a much larger audience than ESPN, something NCAAW and the WNBA are hopefully keeping in mind.

And, while I haven't heard anything about it, ABC's audience was slightly trimmed when, on March 8, HuluLive cut ABC from its channel list amid contentious contract negotiations. They still do not carry ABC, and I don't know if Hulu and ABC will work out their beef before the Final Four. If they don't, a lot of Hulu Live subscribers will need to spring for one of the other streaming services like YouTube TV or Sling to get the games on ABC.

Lady Vols vs Saint Louis was the most watched game of the first round!

It seems airing on ABC gives access to a much larger audience than ESPN, something NCAAW and the WNBA are hopefully keeping in mind.

Interestingly in my area, the game coverage was pre-empted by the boys state high school tournament. I watched on the game on the ESPN app

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Interestingly in my area, the game coverage was pre-empted by the boys state high school tournament. I watched on the game on the ESPN app

I didn't realize you could watch an ABC game on the ESPN app. Soooooo ... what you're saying is ... Sunday I wasted $67 subscribing to YouTube TV (in addition to my usual HuluLive) so I could watch future games on ABC.

Figgers.

VN Store

Back