FiveThirtyEight: UT Final Four odds at 39%

DiderotsGhost

It's just a statistical model and given the way this team played in February, I'm still scared we're going to have an awful game that sends us out of the tournament. But FiveThirtyEight now has us the 'most favored' team to make the Final 4 out of our region. Albeit, this is a bit of a fluke in that most of the other teams in our bracket haven't played their Round-of-32 games and Purdue's loss means we'll have a weaker opponent than the teams on the other side of the bracket. Still kinda funny how we went from popular 1st round upset pick to Final Four favorite in 3 days.

Final Four Odds:

Tennessee 39%
Marquette 20%
Kentucky 17%
FAU 8%
Kansas State 7%
Fairleigh Dickinson <1%

So impressed with how our guys played against Duke. I admit, quite weirdly, I was always more afraid of Louisiana than Duke.

In any case, won't be easy. Even that FAU / FD winner will play us hard, but the other side of the bracket is legit with Marquette, Mich State, and Kentucky. 3 coaches that have a history of advancing in the tournament.

We have a habit of playing up or down to our competition. We have never beat Kansas, Alabama,(#1), or a #1 team and Duke in the same year while getting swept by Kentucky, losing to Missouri, Auburn, Texas A&M who have all been eliminated. Learn from the Duke game, watch tonight's game and we should go to the elite eight. Hopefully further.

Reactions: FlVols
It's just a statistical model and given the way this team played in February, I'm still scared we're going to have an awful game that sends us out of the tournament. But FiveThirtyEight now has us the 'most favored' team to make the Final 4 out of our region. Albeit, this is a bit of a fluke in that most of the other teams in our bracket haven't played their Round-of-32 games and Purdue's loss means we'll have a weaker opponent than the teams on the other side of the bracket. Still kinda funny how we went from popular 1st round upset pick to Final Four favorite in 3 days.

Final Four Odds:

Tennessee 39%
Marquette 20%
Kentucky 17%
FAU 8%
Kansas State 7%
Fairleigh Dickinson <1%

So impressed with how our guys played against Duke. I admit, quite weirdly, I was always more afraid of Louisiana than Duke.

In any case, won't be easy. Even that FAU / FD winner will play us hard, but the other side of the bracket is legit with Marquette, Mich State, and Kentucky. 3 coaches that have a history of advancing in the tournament.

Funny I can think about next season but hard to think beyond our next game.

We’ve already beat two (Bama and Texas)of the three teams (Houston being third) this model gives a higher probablity of winning it all.

I think UT and MU have the highest odds right now because they are already through to the 16 round.

I think it just got a little easier. I would hate to play a team that beat us twice (although it would be sweet to beat them at this point in the season).

Definitely a winnable region. VOLS seem to show up against the best teams, while struggling against above average to good teams. It is what gave me some confidence against such a hot Duke team... Also makes me nervous against Florida Atlantic or FDU

Exactly.

That's why I felt confident against Duke, but was scared we were going to lose in the 1st round against Louisiana.

Reactions: VolunteerVandiver
They just need to focus on the game at hand, not look ahead, shut off the hateful media and make their theme song "This is it" (you're going no further) by Kenny Loggins.

They just need to focus on the game at hand, not look ahead, shut off the hateful media and make their theme song "This is it" (you're going no further) by Kenny Loggins.
Too much senior leadership on this roster to allow outside influences to affect their preparation and performance.

We have trouble when favored. I predict a close nail-biter in the next game where we will be favored, then smash the favored team in the next round to enter the final 4 in an upset.
Don't tell south Carolina that.

Final Four Odds:

Tennessee 39%
Marquette 20%
Kentucky 17%
FAU 8%
Kansas State 7%
Fairleigh Dickinson <1%

We owe Michigan State some revenge from 2010 and I think we will play them for a chance to advance to the Final Four after we dispose of Florida Atlantic in a close ball game on Thursday night.

Reactions: Caculator

Final Four Odds:

Tennessee 39%
Marquette 20%
Kentucky 17%
FAU 8%
Kansas State 7%
Fairleigh Dickinson <1%

So Mich State doesn't even rank as having a chance?

VN Store

Back