Vols vs Florida Atlantic? Thoughts?

Take care of the ball, value every possession, have a hand in the face on every 3, pound them inside, and especially focus on transition defense. If we can make this a halfcourt game I don't see us losing, but if they are allowed to get easy baskets in transition and open looks from 3 it could be a tough night. It would be very nice if someone could ball out on offense like ON again.

A matchup nightmare imho.
They are similar in style to Mizzou but quicker. Not sure we have anyone outside of Mashack and maybe Santi who can stay in front of them. Even if we go small ball they are still quicker.
Maybe play Zone and hope they don’t hit 15 threes??
No Kobe Brown though. No one on our roster was able to defend him. I didn’t see a guy like that on FAU’s team.

Maybe a homeless man’s Mizzou. Who doesFAU have that remotely compares to Kobe Brown?

The one big difference is they play in a much weaker conference. Mizzou is used to the physicality. I see this comparison all night and morning but FAU ain’t ready for the level of “mud”…. Sissy Hardaway couldn’t even prepare them for what’s coming

A serb versus a russian...Has a nice fit to it
Vladislav Goldin
Position: Forward

7-1, 240lb (216cm, 108kg)

Hometown: Nalchick, Russia

Uros Plavsic
  • 7'1Height
  • 265Weight

Hometown: Cacak, Serbia
This is the kind of game where I expect Phillips to shine. Early in the season he played well and was able to score the ball against smaller, less physical teams. I also expect the same from JJJ. VOLS WIN! GBO!

Disappointment under Barnes? I guess you’ve never been close to being happy in your entire Vol fandom. Have some perspective
Best run in history of the program.
As good a recruiter as they have had
Tied for Best record vs Kentucky Schedules the best and consistently wins
Most consecutive NCAA trips in program history
SEC TITLE
SEC TOURNAMENT CHAMPS
His kids are very easy to root for…
All this whole having an season ending or de habilitating injury to a key player just before or even during NCAA tournament.
Enjoy the ride because it’ll be hard to top
EXCELLENT post! At least we are not Purdue. At least we are not Kentucky. At least we are not Auburn. At least we are not . . . well, you get my point. It is difficult to advance in this tournament. But I LOVE watching these Vols being coached by THIS coach! I do not apologize for being a Vols fan because I have a lot to cheer for! GBO,

The one big difference is they play in a much weaker conference. Mizzou is used to the physicality. I see this comparison all night and morning but FAU ain’t ready for the level of “mud”…. Sissy Hardaway couldn’t even prepare them for what’s coming
The analysts said FAU was gonna break out some tackling dummies and rough up their practices over the next few days so it won't be such a big deal. As Tyson said, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. All joking aside, the question I keep circling back to is in regard to the officiating. With all the pundits and dookies talking about our "dirty play", I wonder if the refs will call the game the same way or if they're going to flip the switch on us? I'll certainly be expecting the latter. If they do that, it might be enough to distrupt us.

Dangerous team for TN. Not because they've won 33 games. Not because they're a top 30 offense on Kenpom. Not because they've beaten Florida and Memphis. Not because they can actually play some pretty good defense. They are dangerous because of TN's mindset and the fact that they struggle getting up for teams with names like FAU. if TN is going to advance they will need to play 40 minutes of focused defense and take care of the ball. If TN just shows up and plays their game wire to wire they should make it to that elusive E8 so many of us are pining for. Let's take care of business. the door is wide open.

They’re 8th in the country in rebounds and 5th in defensive rebounds. Not as impressive on the offensive boards (72nd).

42nd in 3-point percentage (36.9%).

184th in free throw percentage (71.7%).

209th in free throw attempts.

Blocks: 293rd
Turnovers: 261st
Assists: 79th
Fouls: 277th
Steals: 156th
After looking at their schedule, there needs to be some type of multiplier applied to these numbers.

Dangerous team for TN. Not because they've won 33 games. Not because they're a top 30 offense on Kenpom. Not because they've beaten Florida and Memphis. Not because they can actually play some pretty good defense. They are dangerous because of TN's mindset and the fact that they struggle getting up for teams with names like FAU. if TN is going to advance they will need to play 40 minutes of focused defense and take care of the ball. If TN just shows up and plays their game wire to wire they should make it to that elusive E8 so many of us are pining for. Let's take care of business. the door is wide open.
Where is this narrative coming from? Who’s the last mid major to beat us?

Historically, I'd agree, but one would think that with a trip to the elite 8 on the line, motivation would be no problem at all. Of course, I thought the same thing when our football team went up against SCjr for a spot in the playoffs. Yeah, I know apples to oranges, but the point is that you just never know. Sometimes....for whatever reason....a team just doesn't have it on a particular day. Long winded way of saying chit happens when UT is involved.

Reactions: LibertyVol
A matchup nightmare imho.
They are similar in style to Mizzou but quicker. Not sure we have anyone outside of Mashack and maybe Santi who can stay in front of them. Even if we go small ball they are still quicker.
Maybe play Zone and hope they don’t hit 15 threes??
Agree...we stop their two guards (average a collective 27pts/game), we win the game...as long as we don't have one of those stone cold shooting nights and don't regress on turnovers.

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
The analysts said FAU was gonna break out some tackling dummies and rough up their practices over the next few days so it won't be such a big deal. As Tyson said, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. All joking aside, the question I keep circling back to is in regard to the officiating. With all the pundits and dookies talking about our "dirty play", I wonder if the refs will call the game the same way or if they're going to flip the switch on us? I'll certainly be expecting the latter. If they do that, it might be enough to distrupt us.

I think the likely thing is gonna be FAU complaining about fouls simply due to how much height we have over them. I could easily see Jonas or Uros being straight up and then calling a foul because guards are shorty’s

We are the better team, but will find a way to lose. Big letdown game after Duke win—seen it too many times under Barnes.
With a 1 day turn around, it would have been a problem. We have a week to prepare for KSU & MSU and FAU. A lot of time for CRB to strategize for these opponents. Experience in Coaching + Experience on the Floor is an advantage.

Reactions: walkenvol
Not particularly well tonight. Would need to shoot a much higher percentage against us to win and they will be shooting over way taller defenders than FDU.

We need to make it a half court game by being smart with the ball on offense. We have a tremendous rebounding advantage. Look to the post every possession and only shoot 3’s on inside out passes. We’re the more talented and experienced team and will have to shoot very poorly to lose this game IMO. Every team left is good, but from what I’ve seen we’re playing 1 of the weaker teams left. Obviously no guarantees but I for one sure like our chances! Go VOLS!
I thought the same thing, we cannot get into a run-and-gun game with them. We need to make the game be at our pace which has slowed down without ZZ.

ok so this is probably a stupid question at this point, but could we have pulled Jefferson's redshirt and put him in after ZZ went out?

Looking more at kenpom than what conference they play in. FAU is right there with KY, Auburn and TAM. 4 of our losses are to those teams. Not saying they'll lose, just don't think the game is going to be a cake walk.
Exactly. In fact, they are ranked higher on KenPom than every team we lost to with the exception of Arizona (and 33 spots higher than the team they are being called a “poor man’s version“ of). Conversely, they are ranked lower than several teams we beat.

We SHOULD beat them but they certainly CAN beat us. IMO, how the game is called will be the main “X factor”…..can’t have Santi riding the pine.

ok so this is probably a stupid question at this point, but could we have pulled Jefferson's redshirt and put him in after ZZ went out?
If that’s what he wanted, but he and the coaches already agreed on the redshirt being the best thing for him.

Reactions: markus
Comparing Kenpon numbers between teams that don’t play a comparable schedule doesn’t seem like apples to apples. FAU is a good team, but between FAU, Michigan St, and Kansas St who would you rather play? I’m taking FAU and it’s not even close.

Exactly. In fact, they are ranked higher on KenPom than every team we lost to with the exception of Arizona (and 33 spots higher than the team they are being called a “poor man’s version“ of). Conversely, they are ranked lower than several teams we beat.

We SHOULD beat them but they certainly CAN beat us. IMO, how the game is called will be the main “X factor”…..can’t have Santi riding the pine.
Have to wonder how much all the banter about TN's style is going to affect the call of games next weekend. They were calling touch fouls on Timie last night in the Zags game.

VN Store

Back