Best/Worst remaining matchups

FAU is no joke. Seasoned. Balanced. Fast.

We want FDU for sure.

That said, Memphis played a run game with FAU and got burned. We won't.

We should win but I'll be less shocked at losing to them then I was at beating Duke the way we did today.

Go Vols!

Tennessee will have a lot of time to prepare for FDU/FAU. I think they will clamp and wear both of them down with their depth and advance to the elite 8.

What kind of team is Marquette? Guard-heavy? Defensive minded? Outside shooters? Big, inside play? Half court or up and down, pressure D?
The one thing I do know about Marquette is that they are one of the shorter teams in the country.

The three “big guys” that see any amount of playing time for them are 6’9, 6’8, and 6’7. The 3 main guards are 6’2, 6’3, and 6’4

Last edited:
Reactions: NighthawkVol
Anybody except Ky is fine.

I know you testosterone boys like to show your manhood and want to show Ky who is a man, but they always get up for UT and
I think we match up better with all the other teams.

I want to see how we do against Marquette, personally. Worry about Ala and Tx later.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
The one thing I do know about Marquette is that they are one of the shorter teams in the country.

The three “big guys” that see any amount of playing time for them are 6’9, 6’8, and 6’7. The 3 main guards are 6’2, 6’3, and 6’4

That could bode well for Tennessee if we play them.

Anybody except Ky is fine.

I know you testosterone boys like to show your manhood and want to show Ky who is a man, but they always get up for UT and
I think we match up better with all the other teams.

I want to see how we do against Marquette, personally. Worry about Ala and Tx later.

Kentucky is a matchup problem.

Reactions: orangemadam
If I had a choice for elite 8 match-up, I'd take kentucky. I doubt they make it that far.

Considering our next opponent, I'd be disappointed if vols don't win the next one.
This team can conceivably can beat any team in the country.......and guess what? They can absolutely lose to any team in the tournament. So lets enjoy these memorable games as they come.

I’m looking forward to watching FAU and FDU today. Would we play the winner on Thursday or Friday? Or is that TBD?

giphy.gif

I still want to f*** up OSU after they came back from down 20+ in 2007.

Tennessee got that revenge in 2010 in St. Louis in the Sweet 16.

If we win the next game and we happen to have another game with Kentucky, we might need to take notes from Vanderbilt.

I’m looking forward to watching FAU and FDU today. Would we play the winner on Thursday or Friday? Or is that TBD?
Conventional thought should have me salivating at playing FDU or FAU to make the elite 8. If I'm being honest though, I wish we weren't playing either one of those two teams. Hate facing cinderellas. I'd much rather be playing a name program. We seem to come more focused and prepared when it's a name and everyone is picking against us. Like being the hunter vs the hunted.

Reactions: HiltonHeadVol
Conventional thought should have me salivating at playing FDU or FAU to make the elite 8. If I'm being honest though, I wish we weren't playing either one of those two teams. Hate facing cinderellas. I'd much rather be playing a name program. We seem to come more focused and prepared when it's a name and everyone is picking against us. Like being the hunter vs the hunted.

Purdue was always going to go down to an athletic team. We’d have beaten them by 15. FAU is a very good team, but beatable. We will have to play well to beat them. Our advantage is always no team outside the SEC will have faced a defense like ours. The challenge will be teams like Auburn that just launch balls and hope. Teams like that lose by 15, or win on a perfect night. We also don’t matchup well with KY, who just has too much length everywhere. In many ways, Duke was a KY equivalent, but without a crushing rebounder. I think we’re more prepared for KY this time. KSU and Marquette are very athletic. We’d punch either in the nose early with defense, but have to weather lots of runs.

Rather play Calipari and KY a third game than an Izzo. Gettin down to coachin from here on. Need to Eke one out against FA or FD to get there tho. Guys will likely remain tru to form and play like crap for a half against the nonames.

FAU is better than Louisiana; FDU may be too.

A repeat of Rd 1 sees us exiting.
FDU is not better than Louisiana. Even with a win over Purdue, FDU has a Kenpom ranking of 274 (the lowest of any tournament team in many years). They didn’t win their conference tournament and finished 3rd in the worst conference in D1. They are 15.5 pt underdogs to FAU. Louisiana had a Kenpom ranking of 88. Not far behind Vanderbilt and Florida and ahead of Ole Miss. They would be a double-digit favorite over FDU.

Reactions: WillisWG
FAU is no joke. Seasoned. Balanced. Fast.

We want FDU for sure.

That said, Memphis played a run game with FAU and got burned. We won't.

We should win but I'll be less shocked at losing to them then I was at beating Duke the way we did today.

Go Vols!
The way that game ended was kind of a raw deal for Memphis. They should have had that timeout.

FDU is not better than Louisiana. Even with a win over Purdue, FDU has a Kenpom ranking of 274 (the lowest of any tournament team in many years). They didn’t win their conference tournament and finished 3rd in the worst conference in D1. They are 15.5 pt underdogs to FAU. Louisiana had a Kenpom ranking of 88. Not far behind Vanderbilt and Florida and ahead of Ole Miss. They would be a double-digit favorite over FDU.
How did they get into the NCAA Tournament without winning their conference tournament?

Reactions: Post4Vols

VN Store

Back