2015-28
2016-114
2017-44
2018-31
2019-55
2020-61
2021-16
2022-36
Why can't the recruit then? With that brand, they should have one of the best recruiting classes in the Big East, if not one of the better ones in the country.

Didn't like them before Thompson's racism was reported on... and definitely not after.
You didn’t like him because he won a lot. Hide behind some BS politics all you want. You’re the type of person who reeks of jealousy and bitterness. 80s Georgetown was one of the best villains in college basketball. RIP the Big East.

You didn’t like him because he won a lot. Hide behind some BS politics all you want.
Not BS politics. He was a racist. And he actually shifted to become one. Earlier in his career he recruited and played white players. Later he progressively didn't and made comments about "white players".

Like anyone else, I pull for some teams and pull against others. Since I despise UNC and Dean Smith for that matter... I would have loved to pull for Georgetown at least that one time. I can't pull for racists no matter what color they happen to be.

You’re the type of person who reeks of jealousy and bitterness. 80s Georgetown was one of the best villains in college basketball. RIP the Big East.
So let's see... you falsely project a bunch of non-sense on to me and then make this kind of judgment about me being jealous or bitter?

Dude sports are recreation. They're an emotional release. I LOVE to see other people successful in "real life". I've helped others who have reached higher levels than me. I've worked for people younger and older than me with equal desire to serve them and make them successful. We give our time and money to charity and to help people who need it. Maybe you have some issues you need to deal with?

I doubt there is a soul that actually knows me that would label me "bitter" and particularly not as it relates to the success of other people.

Reactions: ButchPlz
Lou Carnaseca, Ray Meyer, John Thompson

I can only imagine how corrupt St John’s, DePaul, and Georgetown were when these guys were coaching……
DePaul ? They fell apart when Joey Meyer took over and have never recovered - Aguire recruited Chicago for DePaul back then

I didnt like Ewing because he started the stupid T Shirt under the jersey crap

You dislike a guy for wearing a t-shirt under his jersey…apparently @sjt18 does as well.

That’s somewhat random, as if you’re looking for a good reason to dislike Ewing, but can’t find one.

Last edited:
First coach I’d check in with is Ed Cooley at Providence. He‘s proven to be a quality coach for Providence and is obviously well acquainted with the Big East.

Micah Shrewsberry at Penn State doesn’t have a resume as lengthy as Cooley, but PSU did win eight more games this year than last season—his first go as a head coach.

DePaul ? They fell apart when Joey Meyer took over and have never recovered - Aguire recruited Chicago for DePaul back then
Yes. DePaul. They were great when Ray was the coach….then nothing. Just like the other two schools that I mentioned

Why can't the recruit then? With that brand, they should have one of the best recruiting classes in the Big East, if not one of the better ones in the country.
Outside of 2016, average of 30's-40's isn't bad for Georgetown IMO. Obviously with most of those classes, they should be better than they have been.

Outside of 2016, average of 30's-40's isn't bad for Georgetown IMO. Obviously with most of those classes, they should be better than they have been.
They aren't good relative to their conference competition though either. In 2016, they were dead last in the Big East recruiting rankings. 5th in 2017, 3rd in 2018, 4th in 2019, 7th in 2020, 3rd in 2021, 4th in 2022, currently sitting 7th for 2023.

They probably shouldn't be a bottom-feeding Big East program with those rankings, but you can't really reasonably expect them to be one of the top 2 or 3 teams in it either. With their brand though, they should be consistently recruiting at or near the top of their conference.

They aren't good relative to their conference competition though either. In 2016, they were dead last in the Big East recruiting rankings. 5th in 2017, 3rd in 2018, 4th in 2019, 7th in 2020, 3rd in 2021, 4th in 2022, currently sitting 7th for 2023.

They probably shouldn't be a bottom-feeding Big East program with those rankings, but you can't really reasonably expect them to be one of the top 2 or 3 teams in it either. With their brand though, they should be consistently recruiting at or near the top of their conference.
I agree

Georgetown is the coolest basketball brand, IMO, on any level. I was in the DC area from '89 to '91 and to me it felt like they were as big as the Redskins. I would guess the fact that it's only 5k enrollment is a big turnoff to a lot of recruits. I'd want to go to a big school.

Georgetown is the coolest basketball brand, IMO, on any level. I was in the DC area from '89 to '91 and to me it felt like they were as big as the Redskins. I would guess the fact that it's only 5k enrollment is a big turnoff to a lot of recruits. I'd want to go to a big school.
Perhaps also:
(1) strong academics
(2) REALLY strong Catholic/Jesuit educational approach

Nothing wrong with either, and I wouldn’t be surprised if hoopsters were in a Zone of Invulnerability to these, but they could be as influential as the 5K enrollment.

Or not.

Fun fact I learned reading Blood in the Garden...Don Nelson was fired from the Knicks in part because it was leaked that he wanted to trade Ewing for Shaq in a trade offered by the Magic (circa 1996-97?) because they were afraid to lose Shaq for nothing. Teams didn't usually trade superstars back then. They were too scared to get it wrong and piss off the fans while burning bridges with the player. Nelson was way ahead of the times, and can you imagine if the late 90's Knicks ended up with Shaq? That rewrites the next 8 years of the league, basically.

Nelson was also trying to have Anthony Mason play point forward and to put more spacing on the floor. Another forward-thinking thing that his players didn't like...even Mason, for some reason.

Why has G'town so bad for a while now? They aren't mediocre...they're awful. They've made 2 NCAATs since 2014. Ewing was not a good coach, but they began fading under JTIII.

It's sad, because they historically are a great program.

It’s a tough place to recruit and the diminished Big East has lowered their viability as a big time basketball school. They tried two legacy hires in a row that both blew up in their face. They need a program builder.

It’s a tough place to recruit and the diminished Big East has lowered their viability as a big time basketball school. They tried two legacy hires in a row that both blew up in their face. They need a program builder.
I don’t think that you can say hiring JT3 blew up in their face. He took them to a final four and won over 63% of his games there. The program wasn’t the same after they got upset as a two seed by Florida Gulf Coast in the first round. They never really recovered and Thompson was done four years after that.

VN Store

Back