CBS Article re: Tennessee QB battle

cncchris33

Article from CBS, but some shade being thrown at Nico in the closing comments. Kind of odd, because all I've heard is that he has met or surpassed all expectations, thus far.

"22. The Nico Iamaleava era begins at Tennessee: Iamaleava was the early NIL poster boy reportedly signing a three-year, bonus-laden $8 million NIL deal with a Tennessee collective. One small detail: Iamaleava, a five-star prospect from California, must beat out veteran Joe Milton, who can throw it from here to next Thursday and is familiar with Josh Heupel's explosive offense. The quarterback battle winner must somehow resemble Hendon Hooker. How Iamaleava lives up to his contract will be mixed in with new offensive coordinator Joey Hazle. You won't believe this -- actually, you will -- but there are already whispers Iamaleava isn't worth the $8M. Tennessee is covered as closely as the White House."

Article from CBS, but some shade being thrown at Nico in the closing comments. Kind of odd, because all I've heard is that he has met or surpassed all expectations, thus far.

"22. The Nico Iamaleava era begins at Tennessee: Iamaleava was the early NIL poster boy reportedly signing a three-year, bonus-laden $8 million NIL deal with a Tennessee collective. One small detail: Iamaleava, a five-star prospect from California, must beat out veteran Joe Milton, who can throw it from here to next Thursday and is familiar with Josh Heupel's explosive offense. The quarterback battle winner must somehow resemble Hendon Hooker. How Iamaleava lives up to his contract will be mixed in with new offensive coordinator Joey Hazle. You won't believe this -- actually, you will -- but there are already whispers Iamaleava isn't worth the $8M. Tennessee is covered as closely as the White House."
In my world, no person on the planet is worth $8,000,000.00 to play a game. In today's psycho sports market he's worth whatever people are willing to pay.

He has all the indicators of a generational QB and you'd be lucky to find one of those every few years. Knowing how rare they are and knowing Nico appears to be on that level, you must pay the man if you want to compete on the highest level of college football.

There has been "zero" information to the media that he is anything less than what we think he is. This dude is trying to create a narrative to create debate and coverage. Just like the news almost always reports on the bad stuff that happens, he's trying to get people to look at his content.

Nico was coached by the same guy that coached Bryce Young in high-school. That coach says Nico is as good or better than Young and has a higher ceiling.

I'm fairly certain Milton will be the QB next year, barring injury or off the field shenanigans.

In my world, no person on the planet is worth $8,000,000.00 to play a game. In today's psycho sports market he's worth whatever people are willing to pay.

He has all the indicators of a generational QB and you'd be lucky to find one of those every few years. Knowing how rare they are and knowing Nico appears to be on that level, you must pay the man if you want to compete on the highest level of college football.

There has been "zero" information to the media that he is anything less than what we think he is. This dude is trying to create a narrative to create debate and coverage. Just like the news almost always reports on the bad stuff that happens, he's trying to get people to look at his content.

Nico was coached by the same guy that coached Bryce Young in high-school. That coach says Nico is as good or better than Young and has a higher ceiling.

I'm fairly certain Milton will be the QB next year, barring injury or off the field shenanigans.
Exactly

There isn't even a battle

The MVP of the orange bowl is going to start

Many writers in the sports media write articles to try to give the impression that they know something about a player, team, coach, etc when in fact they don’t have a clue about the person, place, or thing they are writing. From all reports from Josh and his staff, they are very pleased with what they have in their new Freshmen QB. In addition, they don’t have Milton mentioned as a quality QB. Maybe a review of the Orange Bowl film will give some clue of Milton’s abilities. Also, the media seems to think UK’s QB will be drafted early in the first round

Agree with everything else you said, except the first part.

Because of what brings Heupels teams success is so dependent on QB play, Nico needs to get top dollar.

Top dollar compiled from a moderate template that takes into account Tennessee's billlon dollar sports market and winning.
4 years from now, I'd imagine Nico's legacy to UT will far outweigh the 8 million.
10 years from now even more so because of the winning legacy he will leave and the recruiting afterwards with continued winning...

When said reporter misspells “Hazle” I’m always suspicious. What a goober.

Denise Dood can shut the hell up!
"KEEP my quarterback's NAME OUT OF YOUR MF'ING MOUTH!!!

will-smith-chris-rock.gif

Serious question: Where does this $8 million dollar figure actually come from?

I know it keeps popping up, but is this verifiable in some way?
Not verifiable.

He’s worth every penny even if he never takes a snap as starter. What that contract did for perception nationally and regionally in recruiting will pay dividends for the program.

VN Store

Back