Jalen Carter lie and coverup attempt

I know the impulse is to pile on, but I would have acted like a complete goon if, when I was 20, you gave me a 700 horsepower trackhawk. That's the problem with giving young irresponsible people instant power and money.

There is a difference between acting like a goon and allowing someone to die in a car crash you were part of.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
There was point in my life where I was young, selfish and would drive under the influence if I felt I didn’t have any options. It was dumb and horrible and I’m lucky I never hurt anyone or my self. That said, when I chose to do that I was aware that i could not get caught or would get arrested . I wasn’t racing. If anything I probably followed traffic laws more thoroughly. Doesn’t make me right or better for doing stupid stuff, but I wasn’t drawing attention to myself. What the hell was this dude thinking driving like that with a .19 BAC? Mind blowing, and incredibly sad.
The team/school you work for had just won a national title, was out partying with the players the night after the parade to celebrate the championship, and probably felt invincible.

If true, kiss that #1 overall pick opportunity away.
Wasn’t happening anyway, but I think he was #1 on my Bears board. Now that shifts to Anderson and they prolly won’t risk trading down to 4 with Arizona sitting there looking for Watts replacement. Unless someone pony’s up a haul that Poles can’t turn down. This changes everything. Am glad this became known. Aside from the legal ramifications, Carter won’t participate at the Combine or Pro Days. Could still see someone jumping for him mid to late first round. But that GM is going to need to be secure due to the PR.

The team/school you work for had just won a national title, was out partying with the players the night after the parade to celebrate the championship, and probably felt invincible.
That’s what it was, but damn you’ve got someone in the car. There’s no way every football program in the country didn’t talk about what Ruggs did in Vegas. Hate to see that happen.

Not much good comes from drunken shenanigans at a scrip club in Athens.
At least the AJC appears to be interested in finding out the truth. Can’t say the same for the others involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbwhhs and WillisWG
Could be more investigating. Could be someone sold him out to help themselves.

All that said you’re seeing the difference between Athens and Bama unfold right in front of you.
I have a couple of good friends here who are cops, and they do some training in Athens every year. They told me that the cops there love busting UGA players for anything. Just odd to me, I'd figured they'd love to cover up anything, but I guess not.

I have a couple of good friends here who are cops, and they do some training in Athens every year. They told me that the cops there love busting UGA players for anything. Just odd to me, I'd figured they'd love to cover up anything, but I guess not.
Apparently UGA Campus Police and Athens Police do not have a good relationship. At least that's what I've heard from Dawg fans, so I'm kind of skeptical.

The ACC unified government and UGA seem to have a very "complex" relationship. Particularly when sitting commissioners throw the occasional accusatory "grenade" to get some press time in the local rags. From what I can tell there's some general resentment and feeling at the ACC gov't level that UGA should somehow "do more" for the non-university community, etc...but it's not nearly as simple as that.

Reactions: joevol33

Probably because they act like entitled, silver spoon fed, trust fund jackasses who think they’re above the law.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
I'll forgive someone of stupid mistakes, because that's what I believe in. Your mileage may vary.

However, what I won't overlook and forgive is the callous and blatant disregard for others, particularly in this case where it seems Carter was (allegedly) there, (allegedly )saw the incident, and (allegedly) immediately went into self-preservation mode and did nothing to save the lives of his teammates and supposed friends. Couldn't be bothered to call 911 at the very least and certainly couldn't be bothered to stop and render aid. Speaks volumes for the lack of character and the overall decline of society, not just athletics.

He and the idiot from Bama should both in jail. But somehow, both will get rich and never have to experience a day in the life of those whose lives were lost due to their idiotic actions.

That seems to be fairly common between campus and city/county police everywhere.

And the same between local police agencies and the state investigators. Same with state investigators and the FBI.

Everybody wants to be in charge of their "turf" if you will.

Campus police are generally there to achieve safety and general orderliness for students and administration while on campus. Issue a bunch of parking tickets, a few speeding tickets, break up frat boys fighting on the weekends, that kind of stuff. Anything "major", the city is instantly called in. Always been that way as far as I know.

Many times the campus departments seem to forget that.

Reactions: 05_never_again
And the same between local police agencies and the state investigators. Same with state investigators and the FBI.

Everybody wants to be in charge of their "turf" if you will.

Campus police are generally there to achieve safety and general orderliness for students and administration while on campus. Issue a bunch of parking tickets, a few speeding tickets, break up frat boys fighting on the weekends, that kind of stuff. Anything "major", the city is instantly called in. Always been that way as far as I know.

Many times the campus departments seem to forget that.

From what I have read, heard, and seen, living in an area not far from Athens, is UGAPD is pretty darn self-sufficient. Where things get hazy is in and around campus, there are streets 'owned' by Athens-Clarke County and other streets 'owned' by UGA itself. I believe they've got some sort of cooperation/response agreement in place and generally (again, secondhand info) is that in most cases, ACC and UGAPD tend to cooperate/collaborate better than most municipal/campus PD relationships. Interesting thing is, UGAPD has its own bomb squad that supports campus as well as Clarke and other counties in the region.

Lots of people on this board are always saying they would do something "just as bad" as whatever comes up in here. It's always asserted that "All fan bases have equal parts of mother rapers and father stabbers etc." as if that makes it all okay. I don't know if that a particular 'sports fan' mentality or what, but it's always brought up in this forum, every time.

[edit] I gotta tell you, and I mean this in all seriousness, if I had a 700 hp car when I was 20, I would have made a series of brilliant decisions with it, resulting in immense enjoyment and pleasure, and I'd still have it today as well. I think living well is really fun. It's not all that popular, but I like it.

As would I when I was in my 20's.... I'm still that way in my late 30's... If that makes a person a buzzkill,so be it. The thing is, I don't believe he was sober when this happened. However,there needs to be accountability and consequences for your actions as a person. You shouldn't let things slide by because a player is projected to be a top player in the NFL draft. Same thing is happening with Brandon Miller and Alabama.

From what I have read, heard, and seen, living in an area not far from Athens, is UGAPD is pretty darn self-sufficient. Where things get hazy is in and around campus, there are streets 'owned' by Athens-Clarke County and other streets 'owned' by UGA itself. I believe they've got some sort of cooperation/response agreement in place and generally (again, secondhand info) is that in most cases, ACC and UGAPD tend to cooperate/collaborate better than most municipal/campus PD relationships. Interesting thing is, UGAPD has its own bomb squad that supports campus as well as Clarke and other counties in the region.
Remember that “fixer” they have… the guy with the law/public safety background who’s on the payroll and shows up whenever there’s an incident…

VN Store

Back