Transfer Portal 22-23

LadyVol1908

Although the season isn’t over yet, I think we all know how heavily we’ll need to rely on the portal for next season.

I thought it would help if we started a new thread for this year’s portal. I’m assuming this thread won’t really start to crank up for another month or so but realistically who’s on everyone’s wish list?

I’d love to see Ashley Owusu and Aneesah Morrow in orange next season!

Women’s Basketball Transfers: D-I, 2022-23 - WBB Blog

Last edited:
Although the season isn’t over yet, I think we all know how heavily we’ll need to rely on the portal for next season.

I thought it would help if we started a new thread for this year’s portal. I’m assuming this thread won’t really start to crank up for another month or but realistically who’s on everyone’s wish list?

Morrow is a super talent and I would not be at all shocked to see her in the portal. I think she would be almost impossible to steal away from Geno though.

Owusu would have to sit out if she transfers again based on the new rules.

Morrow is a super talent and I would not be at all shocked to see her in the portal. I think she would be almost impossible to steal away from Geno though.

I’d hate to see Morrow at UCONN with what they have coming back and coming in next year. Hopefully she stays put so that won’t happen! 😂

I thought it would help if we started a new thread for this year’s portal. I’m assuming this thread won’t really start to crank up for another month or but realistically who’s on everyone’s wish list?

Owusu might be a viable candidate for Tennessee. Were going to need a point guard and I think she is in the portal come March 13th. A lot of teams will be going for her. I haven't heard anything about Morrow in the portal get the NIL money ready and if she is in there go get her. I think she is a viable replacement for Rickea Jackson.
I'm hoping were totally into one and two guards that can score as well as run the team. We really need another elite post player if no Tamari Key and a replacement that is close to the ability of Rickea Jackson. That is what I see as where we need to go to again have a chance to be an elite team. I think by the end of March we will have some good candidates to look at for out team.

Last edited:

I do not see her transferring to a school where she would have to share shots with the likes of Paige, Azzi, Edwards, Ducharme etc etc.., she has had it made so far in her career as far as being the clear number 1 option on her team since she arrived.

Aneesah Morrow is a major talent but her play significantly contributed to DePaul's disappointing season. Granted, DePaul doesn't have a great deal of talent but Morrow forcing shots didn't help. In their signature victory against Maryland early in the season the Blue Demons won because they moved the ball on offense and took good shots. As the season wore on though Morrow has taken up more and more of the offensive possessions even as her shooting percentage dropped. Her shooting percentage stabilized at 42.7%, which is quite poor for someone playing as a stretch four. It's even worse considering that she takes 24 shots a game, including 4 3-pointers on 25.3% shooting. And DePaul actually has decent 3-point shooters who could get open looks if Morrow just stayed with her inside game (as in her freshman year) instead of sucking up all the oxygen and making spectators out of her teammates. The Blue Demons almost certainly would be a better team if Morrow was more disciplined and less about putting up numbers.

Ashley Owusu has elite talent but does not appear to be fully committed to maximizing it. Owusu's conditioning (or lack thereof) has held her back from the very beginning of her career. Owusu does not deserve to be body shamed, at the same time it's fair to point out that her prodigious talent has been (and continues to be) held back by her inability or unwillingness to get in shape. In spite of that, she was named a third-team All-American after her sophomore season at Maryland reaching the high point of her career. She dealt with some injuries and appeared distracted and at times unhappy in an up-and-down junior year with the Terps. Since her transfer to Virginia Tech things have only gotten worse. As a Hokie her play has been tentative, showing little of the great handle, deadly mid-range stepback or ability to pick a pass. Unfortunately, her conditioning also looks worse than ever. Assuming that she still wants to be an impact player, Owusu doesn't need a change of scenery as much as she needs to commit herself to a lot of hard work (primarily getting in shape). As a footnote, Owusu could be instantly eligible as a graduate transfer.

Owasu was only at VT for a year. I can't imagine that she will be eligible to grad transfer given that she will need to have a certain # of credits to get her bachelor's from VT.

As I am not familiar with Virginia Tech's transfer policies and how many credits Ashley Owusu was able to carry over from Maryland I cannot comment whether she can graduate at the end of this academic year. But this is Owusu's 4th academic year. Regardless, I would wager that Kenny Brooks is reasonable and forward-looking enough to sign an eligibility waiver for Owusu if presented with one.

Idk but we need underclassmen going to be sophomores or redshirt sophomores to fill with Justine even just 1 would be good. Maybe a redshirt 2022 who will effectively be a freshman would be nice too bc no 2023s

As I am not familiar with Virginia Tech's transfer policies and how many credits Ashley Owusu was able to carry over from Maryland I cannot comment whether she can graduate at the end of this academic year. But this is Owusu's 4th academic year. Regardless, I would wager that Kenny Brooks is reasonable and forward-looking enough to sign an eligibility waiver for Owusu if presented with one.
Her twitter post seem to relate that she can transfer without penalty. The only way that would happen is as a Grad Transfer. I will say she hasn't played any this year to speak of so had plenty of time to work the academics. I guess we will learn her status come march 13th.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Portal season will be crazier than ever this year. Full blown no sit outs, COVID eligibility, and now NIL ramping up.

I don't see any top program save Stanford not taking students from the portal, including UConn and SC.

Portal season will be crazier than ever this year. Full blown no sit outs, COVID eligibility, and now NIL ramping up.

I don't see any top program save Stanford not taking students from the portal, including UConn and SC.
UConn has a max of two scholarships to give right now unless somebody leaves the program. SC has about four if none of the covid players come back. I think the big players will be a lot of the teams that could not recruit a freshman like Louisville, Texas, Tennessee, and probably 50 more schools. SC may go for a couple if all the covid players leave and don't take another season.

I don't know what Amauri Williams did to get thrown off the Vanderbilt team, but she is in the portal right now. Will be a nice pickup for a team that needs a center.

I don't know what Amauri Williams did to get thrown off the Vanderbilt team, but she is in the portal right now. Will be a nice pickup for a team that needs a center.

Agree, I think she will be a great player. Was discussed a few weeks ago and general consensus was that it may have been related to academics.

Vandy ain’t no joke.

I think that one reason why this postseason is so critical for the LVs is that if we lose most or all of our seniors AND do poorly in the NCAAs, I don't think the LVs will look like the most attractive option for highly skilled transfers. I imagine that we were able to lure some good ones in this past year because we looked like we had the potential to be a Final 4 team. We need to develop some momentum in the tourney so maybe we get to keep a few seniors, get some HS recruits (hopefully a couple early so other coaches can't use this against us), and then we may be in a better position with transfers. This won't be easy to accomplish, but this is a fairly critical time for the program given our lack of HS recruits.

Kaylene Smikle from Rutgers would be a good one to look out for. She can flat out score and would have 3 more years. She'd just languish if she stays at Rutgers.

I would love Phillipina Kyei, Janiah barker, and Ta'Niya Latson, to go along with a group annoucement of key, jackson, horston saying they coming back next year lol....
Wouldn’t that be a dream, to have Jackson, Key, and Horston all return. I actually could see it, depending on what happens this year. Rickea didn’t really play her full junior year.

When we compare what our players get from NIL versus salaries in the W we need to remember the big money is made overseas. I really hate thinking about Jordy and RK having to play in maybe a not safe place!

The transfer portal is fine if you're targeting a few specific players to shore up positions AND they come for the correct reasons.

I'm not a believer in "addition by subtraction" but I can't help but notice that despite the doom and gloom brought on by the departures of Angel Reese and Owusu the Maryland Terrapins seem to be getting along splendidly. They went into the portal themselves and got better "fits".

The great or ascending programs are going to have more players going out than in. I read the howls of anguish on the Notre Dame board as Ivey turned over the mismatched roster she inherited like a pro GM. Some of them were good players but none of them were great. The transfers they got back have been a better fit. Providing post play. Kara Lawson did a tremendous job with the portal to make Duke good again. That cache is going to get them the better high school players. And high school recruiting has to be your bread and butter.

VN Store

Back