The Grill and BBQ thread

Anyone build UDS or know anyone?
I considered going that route before buying my Pit Barrel Cooker. There is lots of info out there. I even found some part kits if you don't want to go full diy. It seemed like a fun project.

I ultimately didn't go that direction because sourcing a barrel turned out to be surprisingly difficult. I was looking at a couple hour drive to find one that hadn't had some kind of chemical in it, or paying so much to have one shipped that I might as well spring for the PBC.

Reactions: Volsdeep4
I considered going that route before buying my Pit Barrel Cooker. There is lots of info out there. I even found some part kits if you don't want to go full diy. It seemed like a fun project.

I ultimately didn't go that direction because sourcing a barrel turned out to be surprisingly difficult. I was looking at a couple hour drive to find one that hadn't had some kind of chemical in it, or paying so much to have one shipped that I might as well spring for the PBC.
Yeah I haven’t had much lucky finding clean drums. I read that people that make them have everything and can specialize the drum. That’s really all I wanted.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
Yeah I haven’t had much lucky finding clean drums. I read that people that make them have everything and can specialize the drum. That’s really all I wanted.
Best I found was 150 buck on Amazon plus 50 bucks shipping. It's been a while since I looked though.

I think what I have learned is that I also like the charcoal flavor as well. There are gravity fed charcoal grills similar to a pellet smoker. I have been putting it off for a long time. I might buy one this spring. I think it fits my flavor profile better than a pellet smoker.

They do make charcoal pellets if that is the flavor you are looking for.

Reactions: volinbham
I think what I have learned is that I also like the charcoal flavor as well. There are gravity fed charcoal grills similar to a pellet smoker. I have been putting it off for a long time. I might buy one this spring. I think it fits my flavor profile better than a pellet smoker.

Same. There's nothing quite like that charcoal and wood flavor, low and slow all day. Plus it takes a little more skill to be able to do it right than using pellets. I still much prefer offset to gravity feed though.

Reactions: GTBATV
I have a homemade ugly drum smoker. But haven't used it in a couple of years. I need to go burn the rust out of it.
The kettle is really versatile. Short of a whole hog, there's basically nothing you can't do with one, with the proper accessories

My PBC gets used a couple of times a year. Thanksgiving, and any time I can't babysit a cook because we have company.

The kettle is really versatile. Short of a whole hog, there's basically nothing you can't do with one, with the proper accessories

My PBC gets used a couple of times a year. Thanksgiving, and any time I can't babysit a cook because we have company.
Agreed. I have plenty of friends with eggs. They are more efficient. But other than that, I can cook whatever I need.

Agreed. I have plenty of friends with eggs. They are more efficient. But other than that, I can cook whatever I need.
I'd love to have a Kamado Joe or a Weber Sumit Charcoal. But I've yet to be able to justify the expense. I have a new blackstone waiting on warmer weather though.

I've got a 28 inch one in a box right now. We've just had so much going on and the weather has been touchy. So I hadn't put it together yet.

I had the 28. Perfect size for me. Just found that it was more work than I wanted for just me. The smash burgers were unbeatable though. Now I do them on my gas grill with a pan.

I miss it at times and it's a good addition to the outdoor cooking situation. I miss it much more than my BGE.

I had the 28. Perfect size for me. Just found that it was more work than I wanted for just me. The smash burgers were unbeatable though. Now I do them on my gas grill with a pan.

I miss it at times and it's a good addition to the outdoor cooking situation. I miss it much more than my BGE.
I figure it'll be a good size for 3 of us. We'll see I guess. I want to do the Japanese food of my 9 year old. She loves that stuff.

I'd love to have a Kamado Joe or a Weber Sumit Charcoal. But I've yet to be able to justify the expense. I have a new blackstone waiting on warmer weather though.
I got my KJ classic II from a 2nd hand store brand new for $500. You can find decent deals on FB marketplace from time to time. They are expensive, but hands down worth it. Most versatile cooker out there imo.

I have a homemade ugly drum smoker. But haven't used it in a couple of years. I need to go burn the rust out of it.
I like your collection. I don't spend big bucks on grills and smokers. Still use a Weber Kettle myself that the bottom vent closer have worn off, and is ready for it's 3rd set of grates. I did spend $250 on a 14" Barrel House Cooker, who I guess got in troble with Pit Barrel and got rolled into Pit Barrel. A fantastic Barrel smoker. I can usually do a 6-8 hour low and slow smoke on one load of coal. If smoking chickens at a higher 300 plus degree smoke, one load will take of that before burning out. Very efficient. And my son has a nice higher end model of the Masterbuilt Electric smoker that does a really good job.

For any of you Weber guys. This is a mini home built version of their smokey mountain. I took a Smokey Joe (14" kettle) and a tamale pot. I used to use it when we camped more.
IMG009.jpgIMG027.jpg

I got my KJ classic II from a 2nd hand store brand new for $500. You can find decent deals on FB marketplace from time to time. They are expensive, but hands down worth it. Most versatile cooker out there imo.
It's the best Kamado from what I can tell. I just don't see anything it'll do that my kettle/pbc combo won't. Besides I like kettle my setup.

20180521_160858.jpg

For any of you Weber guys. This is a mini home built version of their smokey mountain. I took a Smokey Joe (14" kettle) and a tamale pot. I used to use it when we camped more.
View attachment 538821View attachment 538822
Nice rig. Sometimes you just don't need the big smoker. That would definitely be my drunk chicken smoker. Prob would hold about 350 for a few hours with ease.

Nice rig. Sometimes you just don't need the big smoker. That would definitely be my drunk chicken smoker. Prob would hold about 350 for a few hours with ease.
I made the basket out of expanded metal. With a full basket, I can get 6 or 7 hours out of it. I have smoked maybe an 8lb butt on it without having to reload.

I made the basket out of expanded metal. With a full basket, I can get 6 or 7 hours out of it. I have smoked maybe an 8lb butt on it without having to reload.
I don't even bother checking temp in my 14" barrel smoker anymore on butts. 5 pound butt. 6.5 hours on 1/4 vent opening, wrapping at 3 hours. Fall of the bone done and moist.

Next time you smoke a butt, rub on one last spice separately before you put it on...Ground Nutmeg...you'll thank me in the morning. There's some sort of smoker magic between nutmeg and pork.

Reactions: VolNExile
Not a grilling comment, but I'm impressed. I have an old small green egg I haven't used in years on the back patio. It sits on three small pedestal feet about 1/4 inch tall. The wind today was so bad that the thing blew over. I assumed it would be cracked at the very least, but no damage at all.

VN Store

Back