Carpenter bees

I also read about the fake hornets nest. I opted to order some off Amazon rather than make them out of paper bags. We'll see what happens. Supposedly it will keep wasps away too. There's videos on YT and it seems pretty effective.

I second the wooden boxes with bottles on the bottom. They seemed to work well this year because I got them out early. I read you are not supposed to empty them since the attract better with dead ones in there. I tried that and it seems to work. Repainted one deck and used the insecticide additive pictured. Those two things, along with spraying holes with the foaming insecticide and patching them have cut down the numbers considerably. Previous owners let them go wild for years so still cleaning them out but getting less each year. Tennis racket is entertaining as well.

1630090995467.png

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Looks like these suckers are showing up early this season. Saw the first one Sunday on our patio.
Headed out to Ace to pick up some juice. 1676976852379.png

I also read about the fake hornets nest. I opted to order some off Amazon rather than make them out of paper bags. We'll see what happens. Supposedly it will keep wasps away too. There's videos on YT and it seems pretty effective.

Did it work? I may try this too

If you're trying to avoid damage to your home I understand killing them but keep in mind carpenter bees do not sting and they are active pollinators.

Reactions: VolNExile
Tennis rackets. Cheap yard sale or garage sale ones....even a badminton racket would work. You can put them in orbit...and its fun. Ha..its a summer sport in our neck of the woods...traps do work...and you can make em yourself on the cheap but they are slow and limited capabilities apply. You can take out dozens with a racket in a couple minutes whenever you happen to be outside. This is what really turns the tide. No athletic ability required ...my 13yo daughters genocide of those pests is common knowledge in NC lol
Great way to get the kids outside, too.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
So, how many of you are considering purchasing or constructing a mason bee house to support/enhance pollination in your garden?

I squirt liquid nails in the holes.
Posted via VolNation Mobile
But that is difficult for a three story log house. A few years ago, I was given a telephone number in Maryville who would come out and spray a powder into every hole. Within an hour, I swept up at least 100 bees and did not have any the rest of the year. I then had someone fill the holes with wood putty In two years they were back in force and the company in Maryville had gone out of business. This year I will have Terminex come out and spray all the logs and trimming. Haven’t got a price yet, but almost any price will be OK

Last year, I caught the hatch of carpenter bees in my traps. I plugged the holes and treated the undersides of my 2x4s and my 4x4s with almond oil. No carpenter bees have nested in my deck boards since. This year, I think that I have mason bees buzzing around my early blooming plants. They resemble baby carpenter bees, but don’t try to reenter my deck boards.

Reactions: VolNExile

VN Store

Back