Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

I’ve been saying that a lot lately. All role players. The recruiting is not good enough for such a highly paid coach. And I don’t want RB fired.
Nah. He's not getting fired anyway but the same complaints that got him gone at Texas, are some of the same things being discussed now..

Good run by Barnes and I truly appreciate where he has taken the program. He has showed this program can win big. It’s time to move on and this job will now be very attractive

Agree for the most part, but I don’t think he’s going anywhere until he wants to. Having said that, if I’m DW, there is a buyout to consider but I wouldn’t feel the need to consider a contract extension beyond one year just prior to the end of the current contract and certainly not any large pay raises. Basically, force Barnes to make the decision.

Agree for the most part, but I I don’t think he’s going anywhere until he wants to. Having said that, if I’m DW, there is a buyout to consider but I wouldn’t feel the need to consider a contract extension beyond one year just prior to the end of the current contract and certainly not any large pay raises. Basically, force Barnes to make the decision.
Agreed there’s no way White fires him. But definitely time to do what he can to force him to retire. The right coach can take this program to the next level

Agree for the most part, but I don’t think he’s going anywhere until he wants to. Having said that, if I’m DW, there is a buyout to consider but I wouldn’t feel the need to consider a contract extension beyond one year just prior to the end of the current contract and certainly not any large pay raises. Basically, force Barnes to make the decision.
Dang. He is one year away from an SEC title. Tennessee had the best team in the league last year. It would be insanity to let him go. He is a great coach. They have had injuries all year and have lost some tough games and everybody wants to fire the coach. Tennessee is not going to get better.

Agreed there’s no way White fires him. But definitely time to do what he can to force him to retire. The right coach can take this program to the next level
You’re forgetting the transfer portal is a thing now. Most of these players only came here because of Barnes. We could very easily turn into LSU or South Carolina if we tried to “force” him to retire. And he would never agree to that anyway. If I were Barnes, I’d make UT pay the $20 million buyout if they wanted me out.

At this point, we should be offering Barnes raises and 1 year extensions. This is nothing more to protect us long term and pay him on a year by year basis due to his age. Barnes took this job at 60 years old. I think everyone expected him to be here 6 years at the minimum and 8-10 at the max. Barnes is close to retirement. I think it’s hitting him too. This is his prolly his deepest team he’s had here and everyone seems to be tight and anxious. At some point they have to loosen up and just play or they are gonna be so wound up that they will be nuked after one bad play in the postseason.

Nothing personal, just business. Let him leave on his own but don’t put us in a position to pay a big buyout if we move on from him. I’d rather pay him a million per year than add on multiple years to his contract, which leads to bigger buyout structure.

Considering where the program was when he walked in, paying him a hefty raise every year as opposed to tacking on more years to his contract makes sense

You’re forgetting the transfer portal is a thing now. Most of these players only came here because of Barnes. We could very easily turn into LSU or South Carolina if we tried to “force” him to retire. And he would never agree to that anyway. If I were Barnes, I’d make UT pay the $20 million buyout if they wanted me out.
That transfer portal works both ways. Who on this team is worth keeping? Also is Barnes the only coach that can get players?

That transfer portal works both ways. Who on this team is worth keeping? Also is Barnes the only coach that can get players?

Uh most of the roster…. What a dumb statement. This team has the talent to literally compete with any team in the country. This February has been one to remember but we are literally upset at losing and playing down to teams…. This is same team that is 3-1 in TOP10 games this year. There would be plenty of suitors for most of this roster if everyone hit the portal

Uh most of the roster…. What a dumb statement. This team has the talent to literally compete with any team in the country. This February has been one to remember but we are literally upset at losing and playing down to teams…. This is same team that is 3-1 in TOP10 games this year. There would be plenty of suitors for most of this roster if everyone hit the portal
Most of the guys I would even consider should be coming off the bench, Vescovi is the exception. I see a ton of role players, just guys. Nothing special

Reactions: Hbg
Dang. He is one year away from an SEC title. Tennessee had the best team in the league last year. It would be insanity to let him go. He is a great coach. They have had injuries all year and have lost some tough games and everybody wants to fire the coach. Tennessee is not going to get better.

I didn’t say let him go. Not in favor of that. I said I would be reluctant at this point to give any contract extension more than one year beyond his current contract or pay raises beyond what his current contract allows and wouldn’t do any of that until the year his contract is set to expire). He has been a good coach for us. We paid the man incredibly well to not go to UCLA, but this string of losses late in the season have been pretty bad from consistently poor play and shooting to decision making by players and Barnes. We will see what happens the remainder of the season and next year.

Reactions: UTFanHades
I didn’t say let him go. Not in favor of that. I said I would be reluctant at this point to give any contract extension more than one year beyond his current contract or pay raises beyond what his current contract allows and wouldn’t do any of that until the year his contract is set to expire). He has been a good coach for us. We paid the man incredibly well to not go to UCLA, but this string of losses late in the season have been pretty bad from consistently poor play and shooting to decision making by players and Barnes. We will see what happens the remainder of the season and next year.
Makes sense due to his age. But I am not worried about the direction of the program due to a few late season losses, two of which were flukes and four of them on the road.

I get why people are frustrated and I'm there with you, but forcing out Barnes before he's ready to go would be about the worst way to end his tenure here. Regardless of how any of us feel about Barnes or his postseason success or lack of, he's an extremely highly respected HOF coach and forcing him out before he's ready could blow up in our faces big time. He's laid a great foundation for a successor to keep going, he's not going to coach forever. Don't crap the bed on that trying to push him out too quickly, because if we even seem like we're disrespecting him it could turn us off for a next great coach and very quickly what he's done can be undone.

That's not to say anyone has to be happy about what happens, but you have to think long term.

I get why people are frustrated and I'm there with you, but forcing out Barnes before he's ready to go would be about the worst way to end his tenure here. Regardless of how any of us feel about Barnes or his postseason success or lack of, he's an extremely highly respected HOF coach and forcing him out before he's ready could blow up in our faces big time. He's laid a great foundation for a successor to keep going, he's not going to coach forever. Don't crap the bed on that trying to push him out too quickly, because if we even seem like we're disrespecting him it could turn us off for a next great coach and very quickly what he's done can be undone.

That's not to say anyone has to be happy about what happens, but you have to think long term.

I’m sorry, but this narrative that our program is absolute dog crap and nobody would want to come here is nonsense. You act like Barnes is the only person to ever be successful here and that it’s all downhill otherwise.

I’m very appreciative of Barnes time and successes here. I’m thankful for what he has done and has built. However you’re acting like he is Pat Summitt and that the program being stuck in neutral or sliding (not suggesting we are sliding as a program overall but I do think we have hit a plateau) should be overlooked due to his accomplishments. Like we owe him even more than the top 10 salary he is getting paid. He hasn’t earned that level of loyalty here as far as I’m concerned.

Plenty of schools push out coaches perhaps earlier than they should. Which is why they all negotiate these buyouts. They know it’s a business. Texas is a great example and they haven’t had any problems landing the next coach. Why? Because they are willing to pay for them. It’s really that simple. Had UCLA paid Barnes buyout he would probably be at UCLA. That’s how this industry works.

Pushing Barnes out is the wrong move if you get the next hire wrong. It’s the right move if you get the next hire right. That’s really all there is to it. Firing Barnes doesn’t get us blackballed by coaches.

Reactions: Native Orange
I’m sorry, but this narrative that our program is absolute dog crap and nobody would want to come here is nonsense. You act like Barnes is the only person to ever be successful here and that it’s all downhill otherwise.

I’m very appreciative of Barnes time and successes here. I’m thankful for what he has done and has built. However you’re acting like he is Pat Summitt and that the program being stuck in neutral or sliding (not suggesting we are sliding as a program overall but I do think we have hit a plateau) should be overlooked due to his accomplishments. Like we owe him even more than the top 10 salary he is getting paid. He hasn’t earned that level of loyalty here as far as I’m concerned.

Plenty of schools push out coaches perhaps earlier than they should. Which is why they all negotiate these buyouts. They know it’s a business. Texas is a great example and they haven’t had any problems landing the next coach. Why? Because they are willing to pay for them. It’s really that simple. Had UCLA paid Barnes buyout he would probably be at UCLA. That’s how this industry works.

Pushing Barnes out is the wrong move if you get the next hire wrong. It’s the right move if you get the next hire right. That’s really all there is to it. Firing Barnes doesn’t get us blackballed by coaches.

Pushing Barnes out, no matter how the next hire works out, is the wrong move. Long term, successful TN coaches will jump at any perceived better opportunity and get out before there is ANY degree of regression. It will also make attracting top coaches far more difficult.

TN has a reputation for tossing aside successful coaches. No need to build on that legacy. Football pushed out two native sons. Devoe was blown out immediately after getting back to the NCAAT. Pearl and Green were fired after never missing an NCAAT. Cuonzo was run off by idiot fans (immediately after winning 3 in the NCAAT). UT’s “fan” base is chock full of loud idiots.

Pushing Barnes out, no matter how the next hire works out, is the wrong move. Long term, successful TN coaches will jump at any perceived better opportunity and get out before there is ANY degree of regression. It will also make attracting top coaches far more difficult.

TN has a reputation for tossing aside successful coaches. No need to build on that legacy. Football pushed out two native sons. Devoe was blown out immediately after getting back to the NCAAT. Pearl and Green were fired after never missing an NCAAT. Cuonzo was run off by idiot fans (immediately after winning 3 in the NCAAT). UT’s “fan” base is chock full of loud idiots.

After all the blasting you do of Pearl, now you think UT receives pushback for firing him after the NCAA investigation? UT gets blamed for not shielding Pearl more with attorneys, not for firing him after lying to the NCAA. Talk about spinning the facts to fit your narrative.

Devoe was 30 years ago. No current coach is worried about what happened to Devoe. Cuonzo has shown not to be a good coach, so we are fine there. Jerry Green was known as a drunk jerk.

Every single fan base is full of idiots. We aren't unique in that regard. There are Bama fans that want to fire Saban. You trying to tell me Alabama is going to have a hard time finding a qualified candidate when that job comes open? Texas football has pushed out coaches left and right and yet they always seem to get whoever is near the top of the coaching search that cycle.

Every post should just be "we can't do better than Barnes" or "Barnes can do no wrong". That would save you some time in typing because that is basically the theme of every one of your posts.

Reactions: Native Orange

This is true. Although I am glad UT cut ties with Green.

As Vescovi went 4 for 10 and Seigler went 2 for 11 from three point range last night, I asked myself, why not have Vescovi shoot more 12 to 15 foot jumpers while Seigler should focus more on feeding the posts while taking the open three point look?

Steve Hamer even said that they were settling for too many three point shots instead of playing inside out and working your way out on last night's radio broadcast.

As Vescovi went 4 for 10 and Seigler went 2 for 11 from three point range last night, I asked myself, why not have Vescovi shoot more 12 to 15 foot jumpers while Seigler should focus more on feeding the posts while taking the open three point look?

Steve Hamer even said that they were settling for too many three point shots instead of playing inside out and working your way out on last night's radio broadcast.
Santi is better at shooting threes than mid range shots. Last night he shot faked his defender at the 3 point line, dribbled into a wide open 15 footer, but airballed it

After all the blasting you do of Pearl, now you think UT receives pushback for firing him after the NCAA investigation? UT gets blamed for not shielding Pearl more with attorneys, not for firing him after lying to the NCAA. Talk about spinning the facts to fit your narrative.

Devoe was 30 years ago. No current coach is worried about what happened to Devoe. Cuonzo has shown not to be a good coach, so we are fine there. Jerry Green was known as a drunk jerk.

Every single fan base is full of idiots. We aren't unique in that regard. There are Bama fans that want to fire Saban. You trying to tell me Alabama is going to have a hard time finding a qualified candidate when that job comes open? Texas football has pushed out coaches left and right and yet they always seem to get whoever is near the top of the coaching search that cycle.

Every post should just be "we can't do better than Barnes" or "Barnes can do no wrong". That would save you some time in typing because that is basically the theme of every one of your posts.

Open your eyes. TN did get pushback for firing Pearl. And firing his dishonest ass was the right thing to do. Imagine the pushback for running off a coach one bounce and one foul away from easily being considered the most successful coach in the history of the program. One that has had the team ranked higher and longer than any coach before him.

I sure miss the good ole days. Not being ranked so never having to endure highlights and lowlights by the national media when reporting game results. The excitement of wondering if we get NCAAT invites on selection Sunday.

BTW. Calm the eff down.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Open your eyes. TN did get pushback for firing Pearl. And firing his dishonest ass was the right thing to do. Imagine the pushback for running off a coach one bounce and one foul away from easily being considered the most successful coach in the history of the program. One that has had the team ranked higher and longer than any coach before him.

I sure miss the good ole days. Not being ranked so never having to endure highlights and lowlights by the national media when reporting game results. The excitement of wondering if we get NCAAT invites on selection Sunday.

BTW. Calm the eff down.

Tennessee got 0 pushback for firing Pearl, outside of part of the fan base.

If Barnes got fired in two weeks, I'd have confidence White could identify a good coach and we'd get them. If Barnes retired I'd feel the same way.

History suggests that any moderately competent coach can succeed here. Jerry Green and Cuonzo won 20+ and made the Sweet 16 and they are mediocre coaches at best. Buzz was awful and a stupid hire.

Tennessee got 0 pushback for firing Pearl, outside of part of the fan base.

If Barnes got fired in two weeks, I'd have confidence White could identify a good coach and we'd get them. If Barnes retired I'd feel the same way.

History suggests that any moderately competent coach can succeed here. Jerry Green and Cuonzo won 20+ and made the Sweet 16 and they are mediocre coaches at best. Buzz was awful and a stupid hire.

TN has been a revolving door of head FB and BB coaches in the 2000s. Pushing out one that has the basketball program competing at the highest level is just plain stupid.

VN Store

Back