'24 GA QB Jake Merklinger (Tennessee)

The biggest knock on Hooker in 2021 (and some of 2022) was his tendency to hold the ball too long. He got better at it with reps. Hopefully, Milton will too.

That said, Hooker never really got to a point where he threw the ball away often. He either got better at finding open WRs to throw to early or take off running. I wonder if Heupel doesn’t teach throwing it away because he has so much confidence in his system.

We were talking about that the other day. Thinking back to the year Ainge took one sack. I thought that was Bryce’s greatest talent. Knowing when he could y
get yardage with his feet or just throwing it into the bench. Hooker and Milton haven’t gotten that down or you’re right and it’s not taught.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
We were talking about that the other day. Thinking back to the year Ainge took one sack. I thought that was Bryce’s greatest talent. Knowing when he could y
get yardage with his feet or just throwing it into the bench. Hooker and Milton haven’t gotten that down or you’re right and it’s not taught.
I actually think they're intentionally taught to hold the ball and let the play develop in front of them. Some of those deep routes take a few extra counts to develop. You take the sacks in exchange for the big plays.

Just my opinion but I do not think he would have been considered a 5* in the 23 class. He might not have even been top 10.
He would've been top 10 for sure but definitely wouldn't have been a 5 star taking out the bump for the major cfb programs

I actually think they're intentionally taught to hold the ball and let the play develop in front of them. Some of those deep routes take a few extra counts to develop. You take the sacks in exchange for the big plays.
Not a real good preparation for the NFL though.

Not a real good preparation for the NFL though.
I would agree except they run some plays that seem to call for quick decisions too.

In either event, I'm personally not that concerned about preparing guys for the NFL if the Vols can win any other way. I know those things typically go together... but if I am asked to choose between UT winning at a high level or placing a few more guys in the draft... that's not a hard choice.

He would've been top 10 for sure but definitely wouldn't have been a 5 star taking out the bump for the major cfb programs
That has been one of my arguments against getting all hung up on the rankings for a while. If they were as objective and accurate as some think... there would be years when 10 or more guys got 5* as QBs and others when it was only one or two. It would never be relative to the strength of the class at a particular position.

It will be interesting to see what he does if he doesn't win the job this spring.

Reactions: allvolrecruiting
Didn't say it was hopeless but saying we should be able to get elite QB talent every year because Clemson did it in the middle of their natty runs or Georgia is doing it in their natty runs right now is not fair at all
UGA won't keep all those qbs. The others will transfer once someone wins the job this spring.

UGA won't keep all those qbs. The others will transfer once someone wins the job this spring.
Maybe.. Not sure. They can use every reason to “try” and make all of them stay. Starting w/ new OC. But we’re gonna beat ‘em anyway when they come to Knoxville, no matter who starts!!

Didn't say it was hopeless but saying we should be able to get elite QB talent every year because Clemson did it in the middle of their natty runs or Georgia is doing it in their natty runs right now is not fair at all

I don't think it's worth the effort to try and sign an "elite" qb every year anyway. The advent of NIL and free transfers make it expensive to achieve and tough to keep them on roster. I'd rather intermittently pursue lower ranked kids who are more likely to stick around and work hard to learn the system. Every year we see 4/5/6th year guys who turn into good college QB's and play well beyond their recruit ranking.

Last edited:
I don't think it's worth the effort to try and sign an "elite" qb every year anyway. The advent of NIL and free transfers make it expensive to achieve and tough to keep them on roster. I'd rather intermittently pursue lower ranked kids who are more likely to stick around and work hard to learn the system. Every year we see 4/5/6th year guys who turn in to good college QB's and play well beyond their recruit ranking.
You’ll prolly get what you wish for after that bevy of 5 star QBs who’ve been waiting for a PWO starting QB to graduate, get the results of that rat race competition. 😏

You’ll prolly get what you wish for after that bevy of 5 star QBs who’ve been waiting for a PWO starting QB to graduate, get the results of that rat race competition. 😏

No doubt one will leave and hopefully not two. But, if a PWO is good enough to win the job and win championships, then that's who I'd go with. Even though the data says higher ranked players as a rule have more success, any coach who uses recruit rankings to guide his starting lineup is not a good coach. Fortunately for UT, I notice Coach Heupel didn't do that when he settled on Hendon Hooker.

No doubt one will leave and hopefully not two. But, if a PWO is good enough to win the job and win championships, then that's who I'd go with. Even though the data says higher ranked players as a rule have more success, any coach who uses recruit rankings to guide his starting lineup is not a good coach. Fortunately for UT, I notice Coach Heupel didn't do that when he settled on Hendon Hooker.
Missing my point. Your stable is fixin to break...and more than TWO are escaping that barn. Personally betting on Beck getting the nod and that has Vandagriff and Stockton looking for greener pastures. So you might be looking for a portal guy...or go back to the PWO well. :cool:

Missing my point. Your stable is fixin to break...and more than TWO are escaping that barn. Personally betting on Beck getting the nod and that has Vandagriff and Stockton looking for greener pastures. So you might be looking for a portal guy...or go back to the PWO well. :cool:

Free agency is here and it hits every team sooner or later. My guess is one qb will transfer but we'll find out soon enough.

Free agency is here and it hits every team sooner or later. My guess is one qb will transfer but we'll find out soon enough.
But there’s still ways of taking a 4 star or better every cycle. Say we land Merklinger (subject of this thread)? His true freshman season would be either top backup in Nico’s sophomore season or redshirting and learning the scheme behind a portal guy and then be in line to be the guy if Nico leaves after three. Cards fall every year like that. Noticed you guys didn’t sign a QB this class.

But there’s still ways of taking a 4 star or better every cycle. Say we land Merklinger (subject of this thread)? His true freshman season would be either top backup in Nico’s sophomore season or redshirting and learning the scheme behind a portal guy and then be in line to be the guy if Nico leaves after three. Cards fall every year like that. Noticed you guys didn’t sign a QB this class.

I wasn't saying it's impossible to sign a top qb recruit every cycle, just that it's potentially expensive and still doesn't guarantee depth, because of the transfer portal. Sorry if it seemed like I was saying UT can't or shouldn't sign Merklinger because that wasn't my intent. I was adding to allvolrecruiting's point about signing elite qb's every year and saying that I think it's an increasingly hard position to stack talent three deep or even have a reasonably seasoned backup.

As for Georgia, I'd rather they'd signed one in the 23 class, but I'm not privy to their information or reasoning. Maybe they'd have gone harder after a lower rated guy if they expect multiple transfers this spring, or maybe they figure the portal is a better option. Roster management has been handled well so far, but college coaches all acknowledge that the portal is a constant threat to their depth chart.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back