'24 GA QB Jake Merklinger (Tennessee)

Joe got hurt his 1st season.
Holds the ball too long sometimes.

Would love to see Joe be the man in his final year. Get drafted.
Nico will play this year.

The biggest knock on Hooker in 2021 (and some of 2022) was his tendency to hold the ball too long. He got better at it with reps. Hopefully, Milton will too.

That said, Hooker never really got to a point where he threw the ball away often. He either got better at finding open WRs to throw to early or take off running. I wonder if Heupel doesn’t teach throwing it away because he has so much confidence in his system.

Reactions: Volpac Sackyou
That's still not starting until their 3rd year. High profile kids these days, especially QB, want to play early

Clemson has Klubnik + Vizzina
UGA has seventeen 5-stars plus a 2024 QB already committed

If this is truly a factor for this specific young man, then UT and UNC, among his current contenders, are the only real options. There is just no world in which he's going to walk into Athens or Clemson and be a starter in 2024 or likely 2025.

Clemson has Klubnik + Vizzina
UGA has seventeen 5-stars plus a 2024 QB already committed

If this is truly a factor for this specific young man, then UT and UNC, among his current contenders, are the only real options. There is just no world in which he's going to walk into Athens or Clemson and be a starter in 2024 or likely 2025.
Georgia has also won the last two national championships and QBs see playing time there with Stetson moving on. Clemson has also been in the cfp picture every year and has won a couple of natties. Tennessee and UNC are at the top for Merklinger right now

Reactions: MarcoVol
OU has produced two number 1 overall picks at QB in Baker and Kyler as well as Jalen Hurts who just played in the Super Bowl. Give Lincoln Riley credit if you want, but that’s a whole lot of QB firepower from OU the last 6 years right there. Also over the last 20 years they have won at least 10 games 15 times and their only season they didn’t win at least 8 was this season. Yeah I’d say that’s pretty much dominant on the national scene when it comes to a HS recruit’s point of view. We are touting we are back after one double digit win total, but that’s pretty much all OU has done the last 20 years.

The bulk of Texas’ QBs over the years have come from their own state. You have to go all the way back to 2018 to find where they had two 4 star QB recruits from out of state come in together. Sure they landed Arch this year, but Murphy the previous year was outside the top 100. Also they have alternated between 3 stars and a higher ranked QB every other year. We don’t have instate talent like that.

The O will sell itself, but Heup has to prove last year wasn’t a flash in the pan record wise. You don’t wash away 20 years of futility in 12 games.
It sounds as if you don't think this kid should consider UT. I disagree with that and the overall assessment that UT can't or shouldn't be able to attract a quality QB in every class.

I think Heupel's track record with QB's pretty much speaks for itself. It speaks as loudly as Riley or most anyone. And yeah... I'd give pretty much all of the credit for the past few years to Riley.

Joe got hurt his 1st season.
If he had been playing as well as Hooker was last year... he probably would have played through.
Holds the ball too long sometimes.
So did Hooker. Seems to be characteristic of Heupel's O that QB's wait for things to break open and are in trouble if nothing does.

Would love to see Joe be the man in his final year. Get drafted.
Nico will play this year.
It will be bad news if Nico plays other than mop up. He isn't physically ready for the beating and it gets pretty scary behind him.

Georgia has also won the last two national championships and QBs see playing time there with Stetson moving on. Clemson has also been in the cfp picture every year and has won a couple of natties. Tennessee and UNC are at the top for Merklinger right now

Listen, if the argument is about opportunities to win titles, etc, that's a different one. And of course UGA (who is also instate) and Clemson would have a leg up there. But that's not what everyone ITT is saying is the obstacle to us landing a bigtime 2024 QB (e.g., Merk).

The argument in here is effectively "Nico just signed." But, again, that doesn't hold water viz. UGA and Clemson, who each have many more QBs on their roster than we do as it currently stands for 2024 and beyond. Why would a 2024 QB see PT at UGA with Stetson moving on when they have Stockton and Vandergriff and also a 2024 QB commitment, especially vs. UT with Nico and literally nobody else? Logically that doesn't make sense.

Listen, if the argument is about opportunities to win titles, etc, that's a different one. And of course UGA (who is also instate) and Clemson would have a leg up there. But that's not what everyone ITT is saying is the obstacle to us landing a bigtime 2024 QB (e.g., Merk).

The argument in here is effectively "Nico just signed." But, again, that doesn't hold water viz. UGA and Clemson, who each have many more QBs on their roster than we do as it currently stands for 2024 and beyond. Why would a 2024 QB see PT at UGA with Stetson moving on when they have Stockton and Vandergriff and also a 2024 QB commitment, especially vs. UT with Nico and literally nobody else? Logically that doesn't make sense.
Some obstacles will be overlooked when you are winning multiple national championships. What have Stockton and Vandagriff done exactly that would scare recruits off? They don't care about ratings from multiple years ago if they haven't done anything and won't. Y'all keep bringing up Georgia, Bama and Clemson completely ignoring the fact that they have won multiple championships recently. Vizzina was a odd one out tho. Tennessee was in a good spot with Nico and Auburn was a mess which put Clemson in a favorable spot. With Clemson outside of that, Lawrence was a couple of years after Watson, DJ a couple after Lawrence, Klubnik a couple after DJ. At Georgia, Gunner Stockton was between South Carolina and Georgia and was a Georgia kid seeing an old QB coming off a natty so obviously chose Georgia. Bama had Tua a couple years after Hurts, Young a couple years after Tua, Ty a couple years after Young, Sayin a couple years after Ty.

Last edited:

There is never only one reason kids pick schools. Playing time, NIL, getting to the playoffs, all of these things play into the decision. Some are more important to one recruit and less to another, but they all matter.

It sounds as if you don't think this kid should consider UT. I disagree with that and the overall assessment that UT can't or shouldn't be able to attract a quality QB in every class.

I think Heupel's track record with QB's pretty much speaks for itself. It speaks as loudly as Riley or most anyone. And yeah... I'd give pretty much all of the credit for the past few years to Riley.

Never once did I say or even insinuate that this kid shouldn't consider UT. I just don't think UT is the end all be all option for QBs (or any recruits for that matter) after one good season. There is still a lot of stink to wash away.

You asked why other teams are able to attract blue chip QB recruits yearly. The ones that do are the crème de la crème of college football currently and have been for a good portion of the lives of these kids. Take off the orange colored glasses and you'll see we aren't even close to that discussion yet.

You asked about Texas; which all it takes is a simple search to show that they haven't landed a blue chipper every year. In addition, the bulk of their QB recruits are instate kids in the first place.

I think we are on the upswing, but we still have a long way to go before we are just picking and choosing which elite recruit to take and which elite recruit to turn away. You seem to think we are already there. That is the disagreement between us. The rest of it is just indisputable fact that you seem to want to ignore.

Some obstacles will be overlooked when you are winning multiple national championships. What have Stockton and Vandagriff done exactly that would scare recruits off? They don't care about ratings from multiple years ago if they haven't done anything and won't. Y'all keep bringing up Georgia, Bama and Clemson completely ignoring the fact that they have won multiple championships recently. Vizzina was a odd one out tho. Tennessee was in a good spot with Nico and Auburn was a mess which put Clemson in a favorable spot. With Clemson outside of that, Lawrence was a couple of years after Watson, DJ a couple after Lawrence, Klubnik a couple after DJ. At Georgia, Gunner Stockton was between South Carolina and Georgia and was a Georgia kid seeing an old QB coming off a natty so obviously chose Georgia. Bama had Tua a couple years after Hurts, Young a couple years after Tua, Ty a couple years after Young, Sayin a couple years after Ty.
You’re kind of swaying the conversation…skipping all the QBs in between those names. Following Watson at Clemson in 2014 was Kelly Bryant in 2015, Zerrick Cooper in 2016 and Hunter Johnson in 2017. After Hurts (who beat out the previous season’s #1 QB in Blake Barnett) in 2016, you had Tua THE VERY NEXT SEASON in 2017…along with Mac Jones. In 2018 they signed a 3 star in Layne Hatcher then in 2019 BOTH Taulia Tagovailoa and Paul Tyson before Bryce Young in 2020. Milroe in 2021 then Ty last year. Following that up with TWO 4 stars this most recent class.

You’re kind of swaying the conversation…skipping all the QBs in between those names. Following Watson at Clemson in 2014 was Kelly Bryant in 2015, Zerrick Cooper in 2016 and Hunter Johnson in 2017. After Hurts (who beat out the previous season’s #1 QB in Blake Barnett) in 2016, you had Tua THE VERY NEXT SEASON in 2017…along with Mac Jones. In 2018 they signed a 3 star in Layne Hatcher then in 2019 BOTH Taulia Tagovailoa and Paul Tyson before Bryce Young in 2020. Milroe in 2021 then Ty last year. Following that up with TWO 4 stars this most recent class.

Kelly Bryant was a 3*

Cooper was a 4* (235th ranked player) with not a very strong offer list besides OSU and Clemson.

For Bama - By the time you get to 2016, they had won 4 of the last 7 National Championships

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Kelly Bryant was a 3*

Cooper was a 4* (235th ranked player) with not a very strong offer list besides OSU and Clemson.

For Bama - By the time you get to 2016, they had won 4 of the last 7 National Championships
The subject of this thread is a 4*

I’m not changing any parameters. I’m adding more context to the conversation
I see an UGA offer but no Bama or Clemson. There’s an Austin Peay and Coastal Carolina…and us of course. Depending on which service I see him listed as 81 to 115. What needs to be in full CONTEXT is he’s not currently a 5 star. We should sign someone at his level (or higher) every year…or disband the program. 😉

The subject of this thread is a 4*
The subject of the discussion was why the top tier QBs like Jadyn Davis weren't going to end up here but it kept drifting because people are hellbent that we are in the same situation as Georgia and prime Bama and prime Clemson of recent

Reactions: MarcoVol
The subject of the discussion was why the top tier QBs like Jadyn Davis weren't going to end up here but it kept drifting because people are hellbent that we are in the same situation as Georgia and prime Bama and prime Clemson of recent
Really? Who precisely said that? Not being in the "same situation" exactly should not be read as "hopeless". That's all.

Really? Who precisely said that? Not being in the "same situation" exactly should not be read as "hopeless". That's all.
Didn't say it was hopeless but saying we should be able to get elite QB talent every year because Clemson did it in the middle of their natty runs or Georgia is doing it in their natty runs right now is not fair at all

Reactions: volKano
This is the JAKE MERKLINGER thread! Speaking of “drifting”. 😎

Bruv, that's precisely NOT the argument. The argument is that if people think the reason we cannot land a bigtime or borderline bigtime QB this class is due to the presence of Nico - HAVING NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CURRENT LEVEL OF OUR PROGRAM - that's patently false if the same QBs are looking at Clemson or UGA.

If someone wants to tell me that Merklinger is going to Clemson or UGA because of their recent success, fine. But don't tell me he isn't coming here because the path to instant playing time doesn't exist in the same breath.

Didn't say it was hopeless but saying we should be able to get elite QB talent every year because Clemson did it in the middle of their natty runs or Georgia is doing it in their natty runs right now is not fair at all
"Fair" doesn't win NC's, does it? You can claim it isn't reasonable... but it is nonetheless necessary and something I personally think Heupel can sell.

a super dumb comment ngl, nico would be our starter through at least the 25 season, kids aren't gonna wait till their junior year to start

Gonna break this down in simple terms for you since everything is Dumb to you. Every Elite HS kid thinks they are better than the rest. If they are scared of competition we don't want thrm anyway. Take Clemson, They have Cade Klubnik, the #1 QB in the class of '22. This next class they signed Chris Vizzina, the #6 QB in their class. A Clemson team we finished ahead in the recruiting rankings and just beat on the field. And no we don't know Nici will be our starter that long. He could be a Heisman Winner or could fail like tons of 5* QB's before him. Tell that to Jalen Hurts, who had elite numbers at Ala..yet what happens?? Tua takes his job. Same thing happened at Clemson. Just about every elite school gets a great QB every class. So why couln't we? Look at Milton,he could have left but stuck it out. So again. Please tell me which one of us made the super dumb comment? I'll let you figure that out!

No worries. I'm not taking your posts as antagonistic. Honest answer, in multiple parts:

A) Milroe is a year ahead of Simpson. Just a point of clarification.
B) I think Bama's is a different situation. Nico is an otherworldly talent. None of those guys...Simpson, Milroe, Holstein, or the Georgia kid...are in Nico's league as a prospect. Holstein has a decent chance to beat those guys out. I just don't think that's true of any kid following Nico. While Simpson is the slight favorite, Bama will have a fairly open QB race this fall.
C) Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, etc. have been winning and producing QBs for the last decade plus, while Tennessee has not. That gives them an advantage in these situations that Tennessee doesn't currently have. If a kid is gonna wait his turn, he'd rather do it at a winning/talent-producing school and know when it's his time, it'll be worth it.
D) I'm not saying Tennessee CAN'T land a top QB in the 2024 class. I'm saying that the presence of Nico is a huge dissuasive factor. It makes things more difficult. But I hope Heupel can pull it off. He very well may.
E) I think there are "in-between" QB classes in which you may have to settle for a solid 4* or high 3* QB because he's coming in behind an elite talent. Todd Helton the year after Shuler and Tee Martin two years after Manning come to mind. That's kinda what Bama got this year to follow Simpson. Holstein is a solid 4*, but he's not up there in the elite group with Nico, Arch, Nelson, Arnold, Moore, or even Vizzna (who I think is a bit underrated).

Brent Hubbs told a story on the VQ podcast recently. It was told to him by Phillip Fulmer. Fulmer told him that, years after his playing days at UT, Jamal Lewis laughingly told him, "you know, I didn't know who Travis Henry was until I met him on the elevator at Gibbs Hall." Hubbs told the story to make a point about how different it is now. Recruits around the nation all know each other. They know who the really good ones are and they know who's great in the classes above and below them too. QBs in that 2024 class know all about Nico, how good he is, and that he's expected to be a star in 2024, if not 2023. That'll be tough to overcome on the recruiting trail. Hope we do it, though.

Coming out of HS Ty Simpson wasn't an unworldly talent? He was a 5* and top 3 in his class....hmmmm

VN Store

Back