Baffled about Lady Vols

Jealous little guards?
Unfortunately, it's part of the magic solution elevation process. We talk ourself into believing the Hidden Savior on the Bench is being wronged not just by the coach, but other players. LOL we do this all the time.

It is kind of ashamed though, I said earlier I hate how these crusades eventually pit player against player on this board. We have enough problems, no need to fan fiction team riffs and slights.

Unfortunately, it's part of the magic solution elevation process. We talk ourself into believing the Hidden Savior on the Bench is being wronged not just by the coach, but other players. LOL we do this all the time.

It is kind of ashamed though, I said earlier I hate how these crusades eventually pit player against player on this board. We have enough problems, no need to fan fiction team riffs and slights.

I mostly agree with you and I am not pushing the counterproductive Tess versus Justine narrative and as you have pointed, the mere act of inserting Justine into the line-up would have not solved the larger problems.

But, finding a way to re-orient the offense to make better use of your best HS RECRUIT EVER and whose plight sends signals to future recruits and to also make use of Tess's talents (who has become a good player) is the problem.

Most coaches in today's game would be salivating at the thought of being able to put two 3-point shooting threats on the court at the same time. In todays game, that is your foundational building block not the post.

Essentially, the LVs are equivalent to Steve Kerr saying "hey, Steph sorry man, I either play you or Klay cause I need to have two posts on the floor. And Klay is a better defender so you can get some cameo minutes in garbage time along with our other journeyman subs cause you know I gotta be fair.... "

Serious question. Does anyone really believe that JP has shown to be an effective player in practice, but CKJH refuses to play her in games because of stubbornness on the coach's part ?

Last edited:
Box and 1. Everybody but Horston in a zone from here on out unless the opponent doesn't have any quick players who drive to the basket a lot. Let's go! 🧡

Reactions: Jax_Vol

Yeah. I don't know about "jealous" guards on this team. I haven't seen that from Walker or Powell. I have seen a distribution weakness and too much dribble driving into the trees by both, though Walker has improved. Neither is a true point guard, but they are doing their best as far as I can tell.

I also don't believe Pissott is a Hidden Savior on the bench. She isn't a Parker or a Holdsclaw. I just think she should be either getting some game time minutes or we shouldn't be surprised if she decides to go somewhere where she will. Everything I see about her indicates an inexperienced young player with high potential. And I think playing in games is both the best teacher and the proving ground on how good a player really is going to be. Again, if she was playing behind a USC quality lineup, I wouldn't be so concerned. But she's not. What do we really risk in playing her at least some amount of time when it matters.

....Most coaches in today's game would be salivating at the thought of being able to put two 3-point shooting threats on the court at the same time. In todays game, that is your foundational building block not the post..... "

zackly

I'd run,,,
Two gunners ( as bookends ,,or even on an "designed overload") , a hi-post Point/Fwd at the hi-elbow and two small forward/guards attacking from both elbow-outs to Arc
Set plays run through the HI-post...sorta like a ...Karl Malone meets the MJ/Scottie/Horace triangle

Yeah. I don't know about "jealous" guards on this team. I haven't seen that from Walker or Powell. I have seen a distribution weakness and too much dribble driving into the trees by both, though Walker has improved. Neither is a true point guard, but they are doing their best as far as I can tell.

And this is the thing that baffles me. With KJH being a great PG in her day I was expecting her to be able to evaluate and recruit great PG's and coach them up and LV's would have the best PG's in WBB. What happened??

Whether you blame the players or the LV coaches, the issue goes back farther. All these girls have been playing club basketball in addition to HS basketball, for years, and probably at a fairly high level.

Every question or accusation I've read this season would have been just as appropriate following a high school or AAU game. Is there an explanation for why club basketball hasn't long ago weeded out these terrible habits, poor passing and ball handling, and seeming lack of basketball IQ?

Is the AAU no longer preparing girls to play at the next level?
In our area AAU has turned into a money maker first and a builder of players second. Some coaches are great - if you are lucky. Sad, but is true. Have a grandson playing now and son played back in the day so some real experience with the program

Reactions: Voltopia
Serious question. Does anyone really believe that JP has shown to be an effective player in practice, but CKJH refuses to play her in games, because of stubbornness on the coach's part ?

No.

My guess is that JP is the 10-12th best player in practice.

She might be slightly better when they scrimmage the practice team of guys. Because, the Lady Vols know that the males aren't allowed to bump them or block shots.

Reactions: volnationnj
Maybe you and me are the closers through NIL since that apparently is the first thing the recruits ask about. ???
I understand NIL is a factor but I doubt we have the lowest NIL in all of women’s basketball and that’s the reason we couldn’t get a commitment from anyone

Most coaches in today's game would be salivating at the thought of being able to put two 3-point shooting threats on the court at the same time. In todays game, that is your foundational building block not the post. "

Only if they can do more than stand in one spot like a tree. But I do agree with your basic premise. I guess they could stand there like trees if the PG and the other players are very good like RJ and JH. There are a lot of very good 3 point shooters that are good at other things like bringing the ball up the court, helping breaking the press, etc..

Reactions: glv98
Thanks coach for the video of Justine looking like the player we all know she is.....Her shot is pure silk.....That is the game where Harper was not impressed with Justine in her courtside interview...I believe her lip even curled a bit talking about her.

I believe you me and Mad, and a few special others, can see into the future of the LVs and she wears number 13....My biggest concern is she who makes silk so sheer, may take her talent to where she is more appreciated....
FfmhCEiWIAEgqvD.jpg
Hope coach Harper doesn't treat her like
another Emily Saunders.

My question is do we need any staff changes or staff isn’t the problem? Who is the main recruiter
Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting change. If you like where we are at in all areas then, no.

Physically, she's not ready. CKJH watches her practice everyday and has deemed her not yet ready.
This isn't a question of, should she start or come off the bench ? And still play 25 minutes either way. This is a coach that, essentially, doesn't play her at all.
If JP was able to play effectively right now, and CKJH still insists on keeping her glued to the bench, then Kellie should be released immediately. But you know that's not the case.

Same coach that sat RJ for “practice”. We’ve had freshman come through for decades that were not physically ready, but saw time, many started and played key roles. JP role was not to sit the bench and develop if that was the case she would have redshirted. She doesn’t have Holdsclaw in front of her.

Last edited:
Reactions: madtownvol
Same coach that sat RJ for “practice”. We’ve had freshman come through for decades that we’re not physically ready, but saw time, many started and played key roles. JP role was not to sit the bench and develop if that was the case she would have redshirted. She doesn’t have Holdsclaw in front of her.
Respectfully, sitting RJ and sitting a freshman JP are not in same hemisphere.

VN Store

Back