January. Tennessee vs. Connecticut.

When Holly was hired, did the school do a search or did they just give the job to Holly? My point is, what great coach would give up their present position to go to Tennessee and follow PAT? Same with Geno, who would want to follow him at UConn? It didn't turn out well at North Carolina with Dean Smith, or at UCLA with John Wooden. It's easier to hire someone familiar with the program and not having a long search that can turn costly.
My guess was that Cronan made that decision. A little too close to be objective.

My guess was that Cronan made that decision. A little too close to be objective.

My uninformed speculation has always been that Cronan made that choice under some degree of duress, probably coming to a great degree from new UTAD Dave Hart, who pushed for and succeeded in driving athletic department consolidation during his time there. I couldn't begin to tell you why, but I always had the distinct suspicion that Pat didn't agree with how they handled selecting her successor. Something about the way she talked about it, during her final season and immediately thereafter. It often seemed like she wanted to say more and couldn't. Could have been the disease, for all I know, but it seemed to be there in her expressions and tone. Never could get a read on if that was about their choice, or about the people pushing them to make that choice, or something further, like being told "these are your choices, deal with it." Oh well. Far off waters now.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
My uninformed speculation has always been that Cronan made that choice under some degree of duress, probably coming to a great degree from new UTAD Dave Hart, who pushed for and succeeded in driving athletic department consolidation during his time there. I couldn't begin to tell you why, but I always had the distinct suspicion that Pat didn't agree with how they handled selecting her successor. Something about the way she talked about it, during her final season and immediately thereafter. It often seemed like she wanted to say more and couldn't. Could have been the disease, for all I know, but it seemed to be there in her expressions and tone. Never could get a read on if that was about their choice, or about the people pushing them to make that choice, or something further, like being told "these are your choices, deal with it." Oh well. Far off waters now.
I have hard time believing that Holly wasn't universally supported by Pat and the administration. She checked all the boxes...at least on paper.

I have hard time believing that Holly wasn't universally supported by Pat and the administration. She checked all the boxes...at least on paper.

Yeah, I don't certainly don't know anything and agree that what you say makes perfect sense. Maybe it was just the timing of the transition, or perhaps (probably) it was just all in my imagination. The disease had already advanced to a great degree by then, and I cannot discount that, either. Anecdotal impressions are the furthest things from facts, after all.

When Holly was hired, did the school do a search or did they just give the job to Holly? My point is, what great coach would give up their present position to go to Tennessee and follow PAT? Same with Geno, who would want to follow him at UConn? It didn't turn out well at North Carolina with Dean Smith, or at UCLA with John Wooden. It's easier to hire someone familiar with the program and not having a long search that can turn costly.

When Holly was hired she had been the HC once Pat deteriorated on the bench. The team was winning and in good hands, so there was no need for a job search under the circumstances and how Holly kept it rolling.

Maybe the UCONN AD will have enough sense to get the best possible coach for their players; and not be anchored to a former UCONN player as the next coach. Hopefully, the UCONN AD will hire a proven successful coach, like the LSU and Texas ADs did. The UCONN players deserve the best possible, just as did the TN players.
You are absolutely correct but I doubt that happening.

Reactions: mcannon1
I would be willing to bet that their next coach will be a former player. Geno has turned out some excellent players and one of them will take over program just like UT has done with Holly and Kelly. Would not be surprised if he picked the coach to succeed him. He has built the program not going to let just anyone have it.

So far most of his players have not turned out to be very good coaches. Carla Berube is probably the best coach that’s come out of UCONN.

Could see her replacing Geno but otherwise I can’t think of any of their alumna that would have the resume or winning tradition behind them to get that job.

They might go with Jemele Elliott which would be a mistake. She was given almost a decade at Cincinnati and had a 40% win record and then she and Geno were shocked when she got fired.

When Holly was hired she had been the HC once Pat deteriorated on the bench. The team was winning and in good hands, so there was no need for a job search under the circumstances and how Holly kept it rolling.

Still think that was our biggest mistake though. Having Holly to keep the wound closed should have been just that. She could have kept things on the straight and narrow while we conducted a thorough coaching search.

Instead Fulmer said “looks like this three week old bandaid is still holding up alright! Carry on girls.”

Still think that was our biggest mistake though. Having Holly to keep the wound closed should have been just that. She could have kept things on the straight and narrow while we conducted a thorough coaching search.

Instead Fulmer said “looks like this three week old bandaid is still holding up alright! Carry on girls.”
Year 5 is when things went South, not sure I agree about that being a mistake as she had the team in the E8 three times and one sweet sixteen before her 3 year spiral. Not only that, but overseeing the team while Pat was the coach in name her final two years....both years resulted in Elite 8. She had a pretty good run, not sure a coaching search could have produced better results.

Creek, do you think the LV’s strategy will be to try and run a fast paced offense to wear down Uconn or be more half court style?

Fast-paced. And, to be honest, I think that will largely be because we often struggle in stretches with our half-court game. Although it hurts to admit it, I believe the staff would rather risk turnovers on the break before the Huskies can set up than backcourt turnovers resulting in breakaway layups.

A huge advantage of perfecting a disciplined offense, even one that allows the freedom to create within that offense, is that it also prepares you defensively to react to and anticipate opponents' movement.

Fast-paced. And, to be honest, I think that will largely be because we often struggle in stretches with our half-court game. Although it hurts to admit it, I believe the staff would rather risk turnovers on the break before the Huskies can set up than backcourt turnovers resulting in breakaway layups.

A huge advantage of perfecting a disciplined offense, even one that allows the freedom to create within that offense, is that it also prepares you defensively to react to and anticipate opponents' movement.
That would be a mistake, UConn loves their transition game. If you have seen UConn this year, Nika Muhl literally runs up the court to find transition lay-ups or open 3- point opportunities.

Taurasi is the only UConn player I detest. And I'm 100% fine with admitting it's just because she played for UConn and carried them in games vs. Tennessee where they had no business winning. If she played for Tennessee, she'd be up there on my all time favorites list.

No single player from any other program in the history of women's basketball has cost Tennessee more than Taurasi... and it's not close.

That would be a mistake, UConn loves their transition game. If you have seen UConn this year, Nika Muhl literally runs up the court to find transition lay-ups or open 3- point opportunities.

I'm sure you're well versed in their strengths and tendencies. My thought is that the LV coaches would prefer to take their chances with conn making mistakes in transition (assuming LV can have players back to contest shots) vs allowing them to pick apart the LV defense in half-court...especially if a running game might wear down the huskies over the course of the game.

We'll find out in less than 24 hours. I doubt the staff will try to shorten the game by milking the shot clock and would prefer to get off quick shots in transition over empty positions caused by turnovers.

How tough is the available huskies linep re: half-court defense and rebounding?

Kellie Harper at the men's game tonight trying to drum up a sellout for tomorrow night.

Smart merchandising! Staley and others know the importance of increasing turnout and building the fan base.

On a related note, I recently got to see the actual "Minnie Pearl"-style Vols hat worn by CPS when she made her appearance in the cheerleader outfit leading the crowd in Rocky Top. Pat knew how to promote Tennessee sports programs (not just her own) and how to draw attention to the women's game, whether it meant playing the toughest schedule, playing in unusual venues (outdoors; aircraft carrier deck, etc.) or being willing to play anyone anywhere as long as there was respect given on both sides.

Kellie knows that rivalry games are a prime element of increasing or regaining a fan base. And being seen during the SEC men's broadcast increases visibility for the LV program.

Last edited:
I'm sure you're well versed in their strengths and tendencies. My thought is that the LV coaches would prefer to take their chances with conn making mistakes in transition (assuming LV can have players back to contest shots) vs allowing them to pick apart the LV defense in half-court...especially if a running game might wear down the huskies over the course of the game.

We'll find out in less than 24 hours. I doubt the staff will try to shorten the game by milking the shot clock and would prefer to get off quick shots in transition over empty positions caused by turnovers.

How tough is the available huskies linep re: half-court defense and rebounding?
😏

Wondering (not flaming) what Tennessee fans think is their toughest loss against UConn ?
The worst loss for me was the Nat Champ game 2000 in Philly, where Geno backdoored the Bejesus out of us in an embarassing lopsided loss. That game signified Geno's mastery of our by then already aging approach - overplaying defense and rebound-dependent offense. It was a turning point, and he's owned us since - we're 4-10 against them since that game. 3 of those 4 wins were during the CP3 yrs.

My best win over UConn was the next yr, in Feb 2001. We had lost a close game in Hartford a couple of months earlier, they were #2 and we were #3. But we had just lost Catchings to career ending injury a couple of games earlier, and like tonight's game, no one gave us much of a chance. But before a packed to the rafters TBA crowd, and even with Semeka Randall getting in early foul trouble, we pulled out the win 92-88 in what turned into an exciting up and down track meet. Gwen Jackson, Kara Lawson, and Ace Clement had great games. My second fave LV game experience of all times.
Yes. She seemed a little stressed in that Tuesday morning presser until they started asking questions about the immediate. She must get sick about answering questions about the past and her relationship with Pat.
I think she is, seemed to be last year, almost rolled her eyes at it a couple of times. In no way disrespectful or disloyal to Pat, but any question you get asked that often has to be tiresome. It's also lazy journalism.

I liked what Geno said in his pressor - Kelly deserves space to write her own story, and he complimented how she has handled balancing respect for the legacy and staying in the now. Said he hopes when he retires his replacement will be allowed space to move forward.

I liked just about everything that ole buzzard said, and was really touched by what he wrote about losing his elderly mother recently. Had the same experience last summer. We must both be getting old and mellow!

One thing I didn't like was Geno openly picked his nose on the zoom call, not a quick brush but a full exploration of lower nostrils! Then went straight to his lips with the same hand! No wonder they've all been sick.

Last edited:
My best win over UConn was the next yr, in Feb 2001. We had lost a close game in Hartford a couple of months earlier, they were #2 and we were #3. But we had just lost Catchings to career ending injury a couple of games earlier, and like tonight's game, no one gave us much of a chance. But before a packed to the rafters TBA crowd, and even with Semeka Randall getting in early foul trouble, we pulled out the win 92-88 in what turned into an exciting up and down track meet. Gwen Jackson, Kara Lawson, and Ace Clement had great games. My second fave LV game experience of all times.

Yes! This is probably my favorite game I've ever experienced.

Reactions: glv98
Yes! This is probably my favorite game I've ever experienced.
The 2001 UConn game only comes in second for me bc of the eternally epic '98 regional final win over No Carolina at Vanderbilt. The 39-0 season only happened bc of a late comeback for the ages in that game. I think that's why I have a strange fondness for that crazy gym,

I’m so nervous about tonight’s game.

A few thoughts/questions:

1. Do we bring a full court press to throw off UCONN, or does this risk our players not being fast enough and leave possibility of open fast break layups, or jumpers?
2. Do we favor if this game is low scoring?
3. We must attack the paint. Getting the bugs of UCONN in foul trouble are going to be huge in slowing them. Fouls are going to be huge with UCONNs lack of bench, so if we play aggressive and smart (no offensive foul), that can only help us.
4. I don’t like zone with UCONN, as all can shoot 3, but do we have the speed to slow all positions with man-to-man?
5. Kaia Wynn, do we utilize her more tonight for defensive reasons? The more bodies we throw, the more it wear downs the opponent.

Last edited:
3. Dew must attack the paint. Getting the bugs of UCONN in foul trouble are going to be huge in slowing them. Fouls are going to be huge with UCONNs lack of bench, so if we play aggressive and smart (no offensive foul), that can only help us.
You had me at Dewey paint attacking the Bugs of UConn.

Reactions: creekdipper

VN Store

Back