January. Tennessee vs. Connecticut.

Blueconn

28 years later and here we are. Have never missed one. Thursday night is starting to shine on my new wall calendar. A little like the old days but not exactly the same. Nobody is ranked 1 or 2 or is undefeated or is defending National Champion.

Thursday is about two battered teams each thinking “it’s still just January.”
Hell Yeh. The Lady Vols will hit Gampel hard. Gotta love ❤️ it.

28 years later and here we are. Have never missed one. Thursday night is starting to shine on my new wall calendar. A little like the old days but not exactly the same. Nobody is ranked 1 or 2 or is undefeated or is defending National Champion.

It’ll be a hugie. We got Gameday scheduled at Rocky Top and all eyes that matter in wcbb will be glued. Starting to get a little anxious myself! 🔥

It’ll be a hugie. We got Gameday scheduled at Rocky Top and all eyes that matter in wcbb will be glued. Starting to get a little anxious myself! 🔥
I am brought low on your board - and it’ll get out on the BY. All credibility lost.
Damn me not remembering that the game is in Knoxville. Duh. The Huskies will hit TBA hard. Gotta ❤️ it.

I have really enjoyed over the years hearing about those hundreds of wins against teams from the horrific American and Big Least conferences.

Reactions: Prophet1
2007. The game where Candace dunked on their homecourt.

I prefer to have selective amnesia about that, but do clearly remember the game in Knoxville were Diana Taurasi punched the basket support and stated, “I just wanted to hit something orange.“

Note: While technically their home court, it was in Hartford and not at the on campus site. There is absolutely no reason in the world why UConn should play any games at the Hartford Civic Center, where they lose actual home court advantage. That is where they will be playing USC this year. All games should be on campus.

We have lost a legendary coach since then and UCONN still has theirs. Sometime soon Geno will retire and they will go through the same ups and downs we have gone through.
Kellie’s teams, so far, include wins against teams Coached by Dawn, Vic, and Muffet, among others. Sure hope she can add Geno to the list, before he retires. This Thursday would be good.

I have really enjoyed over the years hearing about those hundreds of wins against teams from the horrific American and Big Least conferences.

There is no question that the AAC was a weak conference. However, the same cannot be said of the old Big East conference. Here are the conference records of all tournament teams, during two of the longest winning streaks in college basketball history. The Big East had the most, or tied for the most tournament teams each of those years listed, with 9 one year, during this six year stretch.

4E4803C2-D2A4-4A2B-B8F7-7B1FB347B042.jpeg

Last edited:
I prefer to have selective amnesia about that, but do clearly remember the game in Knoxville were Diana Taurasi punched the basket support and stated, “I just wanted to hit something orange."

I can assure you no one has ever forgotten that moment down here. When I ask other long time fans I know about UConn and Tennessee, Taurasi punching the basket support is always the moment Tennessee fans bring up. Nothing else comes close - in terms of negative responses I mean. The dunk, or the 1997 regional, of course, people have positive memories from Tennessee's successes, but that punch has lived in its own zip code ever since.

There is no question that the AAC was a weak conference. However, the same cannot be said of the old Big East conference. Here are the conference records of all tournament teams, during two of the longest winning streaks in college basketball history. The Big East had the most, or tied for the most tournament teams each of those years listed, with 9 one year, during this six year stretch.

View attachment 532774
The multiple bids were generally a display of generosity by the selection committee, leaving most fans outside of that conference with raised eyebrows. I am not sure what years you have depicted here, but the “old” Big East Conference in women's basketball was generally 3-deep competitively—Connecticut, Notre Dame, and Rutgers. The successful records were generally a result of those 3 aforementioned advancing deep into the tournament each year. They accounted for those wins. Aside from Villanova once or twice, none of those other serendipitous schools were going to sniff much success. The conference was generally scoffed as being the Big Least. Yes, the AAC was an armpit conference competitively.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The multiple bids were generally a display of generosity by the selection committee, leaving most fans outside of that conference with raised eyebrows. I am not sure what years you have depicted here, but the “old” Big East Conference in women's basketball was generally 3-deep competitively—Connecticut, Notre Dame, and Rutgers. The successful records were generally a result of those 3 aforementioned advancing deep into the tournament each year. They accounted for those wins. Aside from Villanova once or twice, none of those other serendipitous schools were going to sniff much success. The conference was generally scoffed as being the Big Least. Yes, the AAC was an armpit conference competitively.

I am not sure that that argument will hold water under scrutiny. Obviously, people can decipher records, statistics, and bids any way they would like. However, non-objective people (of which neither one of us probably are) might not agree. Here’s a quote from a San Diego newspaper.

“With the first round of the women’s NCAA tournament complete, the Big East can brag it’s the top conference in the country. They received a record nine bids - headlined by top-seeded Connecticut - and after the opening round, ALL the teams are still playing.” The WaPo had a similar article. (If they were gifted into the tournament, I highly doubt they would’ve went 9-0 after the opening game.)

Big East 9-0 after first round of women's tourney

VN Store

Back