Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it certainly doesn’t mean the same thing or have the same effect on them and their peers as it does older folks. Kids aren’t thinking about that stuff. One can try to teach them, but are 8 year olds really gonna “get it”? They’re 8.
It's really not a big deal, the kids on the other team aren't thinking twice about it.
But if it really is that big of a deal it needs to stop from the top down, these kids are just imitating what they see on TV.

The two best boxing matches I ever saw were Hagler vs Hearns and Ron Lyle vs Ernie Shavers. Lyle vs Shavers was something that people should see if you want to see Heavy Weights go at it. Jack Dempsey fought 17 fights in one year and only weighed 187 lbs. He had 85 fights total. Ali said Ezzard Charles would have caused him more trouble than any other boxer if they had ever fought.

Just got over it. First timer here. Aches (I guess these are new 😅), no fever but a little sinus stuff. Worst thing was a sore throat like I've never experienced. I'm much better but I'm still a little lethargic.

Had the worst night of sleep in a while because of the aches you mentioned.. just couldn’t get comfortable. Besides that it’s just a bad headache and I can’t drink enough water to get hydrated again. Chugging water and pedialyte and still feel dehydrated.

More worried about my wife because she is 30+ weeks pregnant. Her OB doesn’t seem to concerned at this point though.

The two best boxing matches I ever saw were Hagler vs Hearns and Ron Lyle vs Ernie Shavers. Lyle vs Shavers was something that people should see if you want to see Heavy Weights go at it. Jack Dempsey fought 17 fights in one year and only weighed 187 lbs. He had 85 fights total. Ali said Ezzard Charles would have caused him more trouble than any other boxer if they had ever fought.
Hagler/Hearns is a true classic

images

It's not difficult. You tell them up front that if they do that stuff, they'll get benched. Then, if a kid does that type of stuff, you bench them. It will stop.

I didn’t speak to the coaching, just the parenting but this could be true

It's really not a big deal, the kids on the other team aren't thinking twice about it.
But if it really is that big of a deal it needs to stop from the top down, these kids are just imitating what they see on TV.
Pros need to realize kids are watching what they do. I remember what Vince Lombardi said about when someone scored "Act like you have been there before and you expect to go back." I have nothing against celebrating a great play but when you're down by four touchdowns and you get a sack posing kinda makes you look.......lets just say less than professional. If you're a receiver and make a normal catch and act like it is amazing remember, that is what you are paid well to do, so don't act like it is something special.

Go check out Dan Carlin's take on boxing. It's just a quick 1 hour podcast. His take is he doesn't think anyone in the modern age, except a few, could hang with boxers from the early/mid 1900's.
I just finished King of Kings. Farging excellent. Just started Destroyer of Worlds. 6 hours on post WWII arms race. He is incredible.

Pros need to realize kids are watching what they do. I remember what Vince Lombardi said about when someone scored "Act like you have been there before and you expect to go back." I have nothing against celebrating a great play but when you're down by four touchdowns and you get a sack posing kinda makes you look.......lets just say less than professional. If you're a receiver and make a normal catch and act like it is amazing remember, that is what you are paid well to do, so don't act like it is something special.
I dont disagree, celebrating like a moron when you're up 30 or down 30 is kinda dumb. But in a close game go for it.

Reactions: thistime
In the grand scheme of things, is it actually bad parenting? Or just parenting you don’t approve of? Not like this is a video of kids beating up another kid or a video of kids stealing things or getting arrested for something.

It’s annoying and dumb and never would’ve been allowed when I was a kid but I think calling it bad parenting is a tad much.
Expect less and that's what you'll get. I help coach baseball a couple of years and one thing I noticed is every parent thought their kid was ready to play for the Yankees but they never took the time to show them the basics and kids in general thrive on discipline to a certain extent. If you challenge a kid they will usually surpass what you think they can do if you show you really care.

I dont disagree, celebrating like a moron when you're up 30 or down 30 is kinda dumb. But in a close game go for it.
The "Look at me" stuff is something I don't care for. Celebrate with your teammates and get the crowd fired up for sure but the ME ME stuff I can do without.

Expect less and that's what you'll get. I help coach baseball a couple of years and one thing I noticed is every parent thought their kid was ready to play for the Yankees but they never took the time to show them the basics and kids in general thrive on discipline to a certain extent. If you challenge a kid they will usually surpass what you think they can do if you show you really care.
My dad used to ump high school baseball, he quit when he got fed up with it. He said the kids didn't really know what they were doing and coaches weren't teaching fundamentals. Also every high school coach thinks every game is game 7 of the world series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back