Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't dispute foot-long+ long hands from wrist to fingertip. Mine are 9" with "piano fingers" as my mom called them. Kids called them "ET hands" and told me to phone home 😅 and I'm only 5'10. I can easily imagine 14 or even 15" hands from much taller dudes, as you quoted.

But, if I understood Jack's post correctly, he was talking from knuckle to knuckle sideways, with a balled fist as it would be inside a glove while punching, and not spread out either. I do have a hard time believing that. I mean just imagine the same hand is 12" vertically and look at it on your countertop. It looks cartoonish.
1674058287885.jpeg

This way, maybe.....

Go check out Dan Carlin's take on boxing. It's just a quick 1 hour podcast. His take is he doesn't think anyone in the modern age, except a few, could hang with boxers from the early/mid 1900's.
Early 1900s? Wow. Not even sure who was the best back then. Jack Dempsey?

That's wildly interesting, considering the much smaller pool of talent, even nationally, racially, and merely with population levels. Mid 1900s I can see a bit more, but still...is he accounting for the absurd level of avancements in sports science, athletic conditioning, training etc?

My absolute guess is he falls back on mental and generational toughness. Just a guess. He puts a lot into cultural and generational mentalities and their outputs, though he admits they're tough to quantify as well.

I've listened to about 3 hours of his Celtic podcast and respect his level of thought, so I'm sure he has accounted for those things before I even ask the question. I'll definitely have to check that out. Thanks.

is it just me or has ESPN always been inordinately in love with tennis?
It's fandom is probably underestimated. Since 2000 tennis has become a top 5 worldwide sport.

Also figure demographics. Tennis tends to be skewed toward higher income folks, which the advertisers, and thus broadcasters, love. Similar to golf. It may not be played by all peoples, but that's ok for the folks that make money because the disposable income for those viewers tends to be higher.

Reactions: SoilVol
The teams played a few times. Iirc yes we did stick close to them one time. The other time was competitive early, but ended up a blowout.

My Bulldogs are very good at basketball, but Oak Hill is just a monster, attracting the top national talent to their private school. The game environments were always fantastic regardless, sellouts and prior players showing up to see it all.

We've found the spy!!!

That is what they measured - 15 inches

His fists measured 15 inches (38 cm) around, the largest of any heavyweight champion. Sports Illustrated writer Mort Sharnik said his hands "looked like cannonballs when he made them into fists."

14 1/2” is the circumference of a cannonball…amazing how close that comparison is.

I don’t have huge hands, but measuring that way I’m 10 1/2” so 15” would indeed not be a fist I’d want hitting me! 😳

January 18, 1976

Super Bowl X

3qxavv5quxe91.jpg

Also...........The only reception of Percy Howard's career (Austin Peay basketball legend)

HowardTD.jpg

Welp. Finally got COVID. Daughter picked it up from daycare we think because she was down for half a day on Sunday, and then we got sick after that. She’s perfectly fine now and running all over the place while we both feel like **** 😒

Guess I’m going to just rewatch a bunch of UT games the next few days to pass the time.
Just got over it. First timer here. Aches (I guess these are new 😅), no fever but a little sinus stuff. Worst thing was a sore throat like I've never experienced. I'm much better but I'm still a little lethargic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back