Game Thread: Lady Vols v TAMU; Thurs Jan 12 @ 9PM on SECN tv LV's 62-50

Disagree, more athletic and much better ball handler than Jesse...
To add I think she can handle the ball as well as any point guard we have. She also plays a lot more intelligent game than most of them. She is rather small but certainly more athletic than Rennie. She may eventually get some playing time here she is a lot like Tess will develop her game she is a worker.

Last edited:
UT 62 TAMU 50 = 112

@Coach Jumper 99-55
@Volfan2012 80-52
@37620VOL 78-58
@Orange Maniac 72-55 = 127
@Vols2015 87-60
@travis929 70-62
@glv98 75-54
@Ladyvol777 79-49
@J-Dog 1313 87-46
@Rooster1 76-45
@VolBalls33 77-53
@chuckiepoo 75-58

if my quick figuring is right,,,@Orange Maniac is the closest

70-62 wasn't my prediction, I just posted Massey's.

After this win we stayed in the same spot in Massey ratings (#25) and the NET (#15), moved up one in the RPI (to #16), and dropped 4 spots in Her Hoop Stats (to #13).

70-62 wasn't my prediction, I just posted Massey's.

After this win we stayed in the same spot in Massey ratings (#25) and the NET (#15), moved up one in the RPI (to #16), and dropped 4 spots in Her Hoop Stats (to #13).
Was by far the closest prediction other than Orange Maniac, I was happy our rankings stayed the same. I knew we'd lose a little in SOS went to five but that wasn't to bad. We'll make that up quickly with some tough games we got coming up.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Anyone remember when so many on here were saying Tess was a bad scholarship offer. That she could not create her own shot. I even was critical of her defense. Just shows what a player that is willing to work can do. 9 steals in the last two games. 8 threes. Took a player off the dribble for a layup in both of the last two games. She is working and getting better.

Anyone remember when so many on here were saying Tess was a bad scholarship offer. That she could not create her own shot. I even was critical of her defense. Just shows what a player that is willing to work can do. 9 steals in the last two games. 8 threes. Took a player off the dribble for a layup in both of the last two games. She is working and getting better.
Sometimes being willing to work can bring about adequate improvement, but honestly not often, and not at this level. So that's why it's fun to watch when it happens. I'm not ashamed I was skeptical bc it is rare, and I gladly admit I was wrong.

Am I correct that Tess is the last player with a covid year? I'm going to go out on a limb and say she'll be around for 2 more.

Sometimes being willing to work can bring about adequate improvement, but honestly not often, and not at this level. So that's why it's fun to watch when it happens. I'm not ashamed I was skeptical bc it is rare, and I gladly admit I was wrong.

Am I correct that Tess is the last player with a covid year? I'm going to go out on a limb and say she'll be around for 2 more.
Not to far on a limb already stated she is playing two more after this season. Said she considered last year her freshman year because of covid severely restricted what she could do as a player.

there is a direct correlation between unforced turnovers and games like this:
View attachment 530921

Thank you for doing this excellent work!

I also would like to point out that the Aggies have at least a couple of strong defenders, and they were, at times, relentless last night and made some great defensive plays. That's why I like this info you provided. Made me remember that some of those TOs were just due to some pride and tenacious defense by the Aggies.

there is a direct correlation between unforced turnovers and games like this:
View attachment 530921
Of course there is a lot of negative side in it. The positive side is committing 20 turnovers, missing 15 to 20 easy shots, allowing them six threes, and 14 free throws and still winning by 12. Were home for the next game and I am feeling a powerful performance and a big win over Georgia.

She is also showing a lot of leadership and has more court awareness than most.

Even though we did not win by as much as we should have due to turnovers, JH having her worst shooting game of the season, and TAMU making quite a few really contested midrange and 3-point shots, we did manage to win every individual quarter.

Of course there is a lot of negative side in it. The positive side is committing 20 turnovers, missing 15 to 20 easy shots, allowing them six threes, and 14 free throws and still winning by 12. Were home for the next game and I am feeling a powerful performance and a big win over Georgia.

I wonder what the points of TOs stat looks like. I think the LVs got more transition buckets of their 15 takeaways than TA&M from from their 20. LVs did a great job in hustling back in transition. Both Franklin and Jackson got their pockets picked and then made defensive plays to stop a transition score.

But, Texas A&M's abysmal shooting certainly aided in the LV cause.

The 49 to 25 advantage in rebounds also helps compensate for TOs.

UT could beat any SEC team on any given night, with Jax and Jordy, two top 5 picks likely, no team is safe from UT. A lot of top end talent on your team….,UT was within 7 of Stanford which is considered a best in class team, LV’s can play with anyone as long as Jax and Jordy are in the lineup.
Especially the starting lineup , minus Cluckett.

Coach Kellie did not sound too pleased with the result and lack of urgency by our team against A&M in her press conference. I don’t blame her. She should be infuriated with them.

them?
"them" will do what you let "them" do if you let "them" do it
At some point make a visible attempt to stop "them" from doing it
Get a bench tech, sub the deep bench, call a T.O. and get in "them's" grill for sloppy play

don't just wait on the clock to expire
But then, we may need four timeouts to save "them" at the end of the game

Last edited:
Reactions: SandyO and Prophet1
I wonder what the points of TOs stat looks like. I think the LVs got more transition buckets of their 15 takeaways than TA&M from from their 20. LVs did a great job in hustling back in transition. Both Franklin and Jackson got their pockets picked and then made defensive plays to stop a transition score.

But, Texas A&M's abysmal shooting certainly aided in the LV cause.

The 49 to 25 advantage in rebounds also helps compensate for TOs.
It was 14 to 16 their favor but the plus 11 offensive rebounds more than made up for it. The two big stats I hate are their 6 threes and their 14 trips to the foul line. We only got to the line 10 times and only 3 threes. Teams burning us on the three and getting to the line keeps them close in to many games. Overall just win the game as this game has nothing to do with the next. I hear some people on another site saying how because of this game we will get killed by some other teams which if we play this way might be true. No reason to believe we'll play this way unless it is another midnight game.

Someone can confirm this but didn’t Tess go out of state to work on conditioning etc. with a LVFL? Was it with Conklin? Did another teammate go with her?
Anyway, we need to send JP and SP this next summer! Great players, they just need to be stronger. So impressed with Tess’ improvement!!

We've improved because we've cut down on our turnovers, we've improved defensively and are playing more cohesively as a team. Individually,
Jackson is motivated and playing well (55 percent shooting); Horston is stout and contributing in many different ways, as she always
does, though she still misses too many shots close to the basket; Darby's overall play has been good--and she's making threes; Puckett is contributing and Hollingshead is showing the considerable potential that she has. She's athletic for a big and has been playing well--and IMO she's got more offensive upside; she and the coaches need to keep working on her moves in the paint.

IMO our two biggest weaknesses are defensive intensity--it's too inconsistent---and team three-point shooting. As in most areas, we've improved
defensively, for sure, but we have lapses in effort, focus and ball awareness/helping. We need a total team commitment to defense, and if we can get that we can be formidable. We've got some big games coming up and playing strong defense in those games will be crucial.

Ironically, though we are scoring amost 79 points a game, we are not a good three-point shooting team. We have one dependable
three-point shooter--Darby. Puckett is our second most dependable but is only playing limited minutes. The rest of the team is bad at shooting
threes--and I think this could be a problem for us when we play good teams. One dependable 3-point shooter is simply not enough, but I see nobody
that I think can step up and start hitting them.

All this said, there is a lot to be encouraged about. The upcoming games at South Carolina, UConn, etc. will give us a good idea of just how optimistic we might be.

I think Kellie was just anxious to get out of there. They had to bus back to Houston then fly home from there very late last night. Explains the 2.5 min press op. Maria was just getting warmed up!

I listened to her Brian Rice interview and KJH wasn't too worked up.
I have never been more anxious for a game to end than this one. When it got down to six all I could think about is losing this game would almost totally destroy the season and all the ground we had made up in the last three weeks. We still have a long way to go to where I want us to be in the tourney and this game was really irritating me that we wouldn't have that chance. We still do since we won, but when are we going to play the way Coach Harper is wanting it is time.

VN Store

Back